"Patriot Way": Officiating Catalog

On 12/19/2017 at 7:29 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Well Tomlin I can't stand I have never liked him as a coach, always thought he had a big mouth and never took blame for his teams short comings and it shows with his team (see Big Ben throwing the OC under the bus) I have never seen a HC blame everyone but himself for a loss. 

Shocker.

———

and once again the highly praised Pats are bailed out of a jam by a long replay review that takes the Pats side and doesn’t fit into the spirit of playing football.

like the spoiled rich brat who whines and appeals to his mother to decide who really won the game, and she rules always in his favour....

yay.... 

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

———

and once again the highly praised Pats are bailed out of a jam by a long replay review that takes the Pats side and doesn’t fit into the spirit of playing football.

like the spoiled rich brat who whines and appeals to his mother to decide who really won the game, and she rules always in his favour....

yay.... 

Spoiled brat behavior is becoming very very common

On 10/31/2017 at 10:48 AM, billsfan60 said:

This is usually the problem with conspiracy theories.

What your suggesting is that the patsies*** organization, the NFL, as an organization, and every official have colluded in an ultra secret pact to sway the outcome of every game the patsies*** play in by making favorable calls at the most crucial points in each game. You're talking about hundreds of people keeping their mouths shut and having 100% of them buying into the program. When you throw in centralized review and instant replay from multiple angles then the entire watching public and sports media must be both blind and stupid. Of course it could be argued that people do pay good money to watch professional wrestling.

The counterpoint is that officials, as a group are both blind and stupid, and that includes official review. When I was playing, back at the dawn of time, the band would do a rendition of The Three Blind Mice after each obvious blown call.

I’m sure the nfl wants to manufacture story lines and support owners that support them. Goodell and kraft have a great relationship. They built a stadium in the early 00s. They bring a lot of money to the table which is great for a profit sharing League. I mean why destroy the Spygate tapes unless something damning was recorded? In a league where  theres a salary cap and checks and balances to lead to parity it’s pretty difficult to believe that one team could dominate for so long. And that means move from Cleveland to Baltimore and all of the sudden become good. Or that teams agree to build new stadiums and all of the sudden get a super bowl (49ers, Giants and Falcons). Teams like Buffalo aren’t an asset to the league. Excuse they don’t make much money for the league and have a small fan base. How would the league benefit from a good Buffalo Bills team?

Edited by unclepete
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2017-10-31 at 12:10 PM, Gugny said:

Exactly and that's not cheating. It's knowing the rules and taking advantage

Not saying they haven't cheated. But sometimes it's just that they know more about the rules than even the referees do.

I disagree with Gugny a lot.  But, I totally agree with Gugny here.  It is a combo of both.

On 12/19/2017 at 4:29 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Well Tomlin I can't stand I have never liked him as a coach, always thought he had a big mouth and never took blame for his teams short comings and it shows with his team (see Big Ben throwing the OC under the bus) I have never seen a HC blame everyone but himself for a loss. 

You must have obviously missed some choice Belicheat moments like sending Devon McCourty out to face the media in his place after a tough playoff loss, or his running off the field to cry rather than shake Tom Coughlin's hand after "18 and D'oh" SB loss.  Those were just a couple of his amazingly classless moves.  To be hating on Mike Tomlin when you love a classless jerk like Belicheat is amazing to me......

PS. Let me know when Tomlin gets accused in court of banging someone else's wife.

https://deadspin.com/188681/men-keep-your-wives-from-bill-belichick

And compared to Kraft, who within about 6 months of his wife's death was dating a blond floozy young enough to be his granddaughter, Beli gets points for going semi-age appropriate with his mistress.....

Just now, Chris66 said:

Except Cooks had possesion.

No he didn't.  Not even close.  The ball came out, hit the ground, and Cooks rolled over it.  Still drinking, haven't finished yesterdays bottle?

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No he didn't.  Not even close.  The ball came out, hit the ground, and Cooks rolled over it.  Still drinking, haven't finished yesterdays bottle?

He had already established himself as a runner. 2 feet touched down.

Just now, Chris66 said:

Ok, sure.  In which case Kelvin Benjamin should have had a TD, as well as Jesse James of Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Ok, sure.  In which case Kelvin Benjamin should have had a TD, as well as Jesse James of Pittsburgh.

No. Im sorry you dont understand what a catch is. Neither the James or Benjamin were catches. James didnt maintain possession. Benjamin didnt get both feet in bounds. Pretty straight forward.

The only call they messed up was the Jenkins td. Jets should have maintained possession.

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

No. Im sorry you dont understand what a catch is. Neither the James or Benjamin were catches. James didnt maintain possession. Benjamin didnt get both feet in bounds. Pretty straight forward.

The only call they messed up was the Jenkins td. Jets should have maintained possession.

I see.  So a catch is whatever the Patsies and their 'fans' think it should or should not be.  That's the way it has been going.

KB catch was not a catch...right.  Pretty powerful glue you got for Christmas; ease up on it and save some for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I see.  So a catch is whatever the Patsies and their 'fans' think it should or should not be.  That's the way it has been going.

KB catch was not a catch...right.  Pretty powerful glue you got for Christmas; ease up on it and save some for the playoffs.

Whether you agree or not doesnt change the fact it was the correct call.

In fairness you can't expect Patriots fans to understand football, for the most part they're just repurposed baseball and basketball fans. You add something as complicated as a 'catch' and 'indisputable evidence' into the replay mix and it's no wonder they're on a Bills messageboard trying to learn a bit about the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

In fairness you can't expect Patriots fans to understand football, for the most part they're just repurposed baseball and basketball fans. You add something as complicated as a 'catch' and 'indisputable evidence' into the replay mix and it's no wonder they're on a Bills messageboard trying to learn a bit about the rules. 

Pats fans understand the rules just fine. It seems Bills fans are having a hard time understanding them.

CBS did a frame by frame during the review. Whem Benjamin finally had possession his left foot was off the ground and never came back in bounds. No catch thats rules.

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Pats fans understand the rules just fine. It seems Bills fans are having a hard time understanding them.

CBS did a frame by frame during the review. Whem Benjamin finally had possession his left foot was off the ground and never came back in bounds. No catch thats rules.

capture_20171224_133218.jpg?w=1000&h=600

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

He can't become a runner when already in the end zone.

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball moved and he maintained possession.

Cooks did not make a football move, Riveron refers to it as a "common act" like stepping, running or walking after completing the catch.  The ball then moved while in his possession (same as James's) but was called a completed catch while he was out of bounds once the play was over.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball came loose.

He doesn't realize you don't qualify for the runner clause when you're going OOB. Take it slow.

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If cooks is a catch then James' should have been a catch as well because he at least made a football move (diving for the goal line) when the ball moved and he maintained possession.

Cooks did not make a football move, Riveron refers to it as a "common act" like stepping, running or walking after completing the catch.  The ball then moved while in his possession (same as James's) but was called a completed catch while he was out of bounds once the play was over.

There is no football move anymore. Its either you have established yourself as a runner ot you've completed the catch to the ground. Black and white. James lost possession before he completed the catch. Incomplete.

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like Santonio Holmes Superbowl catch ahainst the Cardinals.

Edited by Chris66

16 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

There is no football move anymore. Its either you have established yourself as a runner ot you've completed the catch to the ground. Black and white. James lost possession before he completed the catch. Incomplete.

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like 

Well then Riveron better read the rule book on "what is a catch" again.

"He's established possession,” NFL head of officiated Al Riveron told SB Nation on Monday. “While he has possession, he has two feet down. The last part is, is he able to perform another common act? In this situation, he must complete that part of it or he’s still going to the ground."

Riveron referenced “common act” because, in the end zone, Cooks can’t necessarily “become a runner.” The better question is to ask, did he walk away from the toe-tap? Clearly not.

Since Cooks didn’t complete a common act like running, walking or stepping, he then had to hang onto the ball throughout his fall. And no, a “hop” is not considered an act common to the game.

So either, you're wrong about what a catch is which disproves your statement that pats fans know what a catch is or (and this is probably worse) the VP of officiating doesn't know the rules/how to do his own job.

Edited by The Wiz

17 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

My guess with Cooks is he caught it with both feet in bounds then went out of bounds. Looked like Santonio Holmes Superbowl catch ahainst the Cardinals.

You’re contradicting yourself and your bias is showing. So you, “guess,” now??! Just stop. 

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

My guess is because he has control the ball hits the ground but doesnt move. The official is right there watching the entire play.

So the ball was in his chest, then in his stomach without his arm moving or around it but it didn't move.  Gotcha.

8 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

You’re contradicting yourself and your bias is showing. So you, “guess,” now??! Just stop. 

Im not an official. I can guess.my opinion doesnt matter in the long run. The Cooks catch is a tough one.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So the ball was in his chest, then in his stomach without his arm moving or around it but it didn't move.  Gotcha.

Tough to see on a small screen, but it looks like his left hand and arm stay under the ball. 

Edited by Chris66

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Im not an official. I can guess.my opinion doesnt matter in the long run. The Cooks catch is a tough one.

Tough to see on a small screen, but it looks like his left hand and arm stay under the ball.

His left hand and arm are extended breaking his fall.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

His left hand and arm are extended breaking his fall.

Like I said small screen.. right hand and arm then. Still a lot different than James or Benjamins non catch.

Benjamins I would have let stand just cause it was so close. That call reminded me of when they reverse a goal because a skate was above the blue line.

Edited by Chris66