Patriots trade Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal makes me wonder if Belichick might be planning on retiring with Brady (when the time comes).

With Garoppolo under center, it looked like the Pats were poised to enter the next 15 years without missing a beat.

More likely, they like Garappolo and are enticed by the massive haul of picks they will garner by trading down from 1 or 2 this April. Smart move.

it makes all the sense. They have a developed, schooled QB ready to start.... and also a likely top 3 pick to trade for a treasure trove.

This deal makes me wonder if Belichick might be planning on retiring with Brady (when the time comes).

With Garoppolo under center, it looked like the Pats were poised to enter the next 15 years without missing a beat.

it makes all the sense. They have a developed, schooled QB ready to start.... and also a likely top 3 pick to trade for a treasure trove.

The local consensus among the media is that BB wanted Jimmy as his next quarterback but Brady's play made it impossible to give him the job. This actually makes a ton of sense. It explains why they took less now than they could have got in April.

Billy B. made a statement in his presser that solidified all

of their opinions. He had been meeting with Garropolo every week, they say he never does that.

Wonder if he wanted to trade Brady but got overruled and or his play wouldn't allow it. They also say that Bellicheck sent him to a team of his choice where he knows he will get the right coaching.

In short BB and JG BBFS

Just heard there is a good chance that Browns trade for AJ mccarron. Stay tuned.

That would be huge. I feel like McCarron and Landry Jones are similar to Garoppolo as they play behind a franchise QB who the team isnt sure about mileage left.

McCarron, Jones, and Garoppolo all would do well on the open market.

The local consensus among the media is that BB wanted Jimmy as his next quarterback but Brady's play made it impossible to give him the job. This actually makes a ton of sense. It explains why they took less now than they could have got in April.

Billy B. made a statement in his presser that solidified all

of their opinions. He had been meeting with Garropolo every week, they say he never does that.

Wonder if he wanted to trade Brady but got overruled and or his play wouldn't allow it. They also say that Bellicheck sent him to a team of his choice where he knows he will get the right coaching.

I would be shocked if Brady didn't have a "no trade" or "approve trade" clause in his contract.

Part of what makes Belicheck great is that he wants to win, period. So I don't think he "wanted" Jimmy as his next QB. He's going to stick with Brady as long as Brady performs.

I think there are echos of the Watkins trade here: they hedged their bets and kept Garroppolo as the backup through as much of the season as they could just in case Brady's play fell off, but I'm thinking he made it clear he is not going to be content to remain a backup through his second contract, he wants starter pay and he's going to get it somewhere. So rather than either let him walk or franchise him, NE got what they could at the last possible moment.

Press conference was interesting. Garroppolo is a "good" QB and a "great" teammate.

More likely, they like Garappolo and are enticed by the massive haul of picks they will garner by trading down from 1 or 2 this April. Smart move.

This was my thought as well. They have sooooo many holes at just about every position on both sides of the ball. A boatload of draft picks has to be enticing.

Plus, Garoppolo has been being groomed (by Brady, Belichick, McDaniels etc) to start for the last 4 years. He is probably much more ready to step in and start than any rookie QB from the 2018 class is going to be.

And if he works out, they only spent a 2nd on a starting QB as opposed to a #1 or #2 overall pick (plus all the assets they miss out on by not trading the pick).

If he doesn't work out, they can still decide to draft a QB high in 2018.

This is the guy we need to trade for if it's only a 3rd rd pick.

i really dont think the Bengals are looking to trade him but I suppose it depends how much the Browns are willing to give up

Have we seen an inter-division QB trade since Bledsoe? I cant recall

Edited by YoloinOhio