What went wrong in 2011?

Another Fan

I just get a laugh out of the fact that some people still believe Fitz and Edwards Bills careers were ruined by hits. Their careers were ruined by being mediocre talents.

I think that Edwards would have eeked out a decent career if that hit had never happened. After the injury he just looked shell shocked, a very different player.

I think that Edwards would have eeked out a decent career if that hit had never happened. After the injury he just looked shell shocked, a very different player.

Then he wasn't cut out for the NFL, period.

Edited by T-Bomb

Edwards had the best game of his career the week after his concussion.

His career hit a downslide when he faced 3-4 defenses and he was never able to adjust to defensive schemes that took advantage of his indecisiveness and love for the checkdown pass.

The concussion is a convenient excuse but it's become a myth. Like how Kevin Kolb's career ended by slipping on a mat.

The Bills were simply a below-average team, who played above their heads early in the season. They had a couple close wins that could have gone either way. Ryan Fitzpatrick was playing better than any other point during his career. Eventually it was bound to collapse. Seasons like 2011 are one of the reasons I remain a hardcore skeptic with the Bills. I'm (very slowly) starting to believe in this team. But it's really hard not to worry things will eventually fall apart.

The signs that a good start is "fluky" usually include:

- Playing weak opponents

- Winning lots of close games

- Being the beneficiary of an unusual amount of penalty calls, fumbles and "lucky" plays

- Staying virtually injury free

- Normally average or bad players suddenly looking great

The 2017 Bills have some of the warning signs. Almost all of their wins have been very close. They have gotten huge contributions from guys with less than stellar careers (Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Micah Hyde, Ramon Humber, Deonte Thompson, etc.) They have gotten a ridiculous amount of fumbles and tipped interceptions. But they have also managed to beat some pretty good teams, overcome lots of injuries and most of their turnovers have been a result of being in great position.

Great post. To me the biggest one is Fitz playing above his level of play, last minute victories that made you pinch yourself and ask "is this team for real". I have not gotten that feeling this year. I feel lots of the fumbles and INT's have been due to people being placed at right place right time and good preparation. Last game for example.. usually we are the undisciplined team that fumbles the ball in wet weather and that just was not the case. I truly believe in system play over scattered talented team.

We got rid of key players at key positions because we wanted players to fit this system. In many cases on this team, the talent drop off to the backups are not that bad. What our coach did is turn this team into a battle tested hungry college like team and I believe in it, the system. After Thursday night we are 6-2 and just 4 wins from the playoffs. 3 wins away from wild card. Its just a different feel and I am LIKING IT!

What went wrong in 2011 was Fitz... It's that simple.

I don't agree. While Fitz's play did tail off as the season went on and once Freddie was lost for the year the biggest problem that year was we couldn't stop anybody on defense. It was a similar story in 2013. Now I think Fitz has a ceiling as a QB... but we saw later in his career with the Titans, Texans and Jets that Fitz was capable of playing above .500 ball if you gave him a defense.

The difference between the 2017 Bills D and the 2011 Bills D is greater than the difference between 2017 Tyrod and 2011 Fitz. Both are better.... but the D majorly so.

Up until the jets game nobody really had an answer for gailey's spread offense. Rex Ryan came up with the recipe to shut it down by pressing the receivers and the quick pass game that fitz and gailey relied on to win would never work again. The rest of the NFL forced the bills offense to adjust and they could not. I do not blame that on coaching as much as fitz' limitations and the fact that there was hardly any talent on offense especially when Freddy got hurt. I mean, we talk about a lack of talent now but I would argue that roster was even less talented on offense.

Edited by BobBelcher

First, awesome game and team win. This team looks solid and has far exceeded my expectations at this point this year.

I can't help but think of the last time we started out 5-2 back in 2011. Ironically that year too they played the Jets in Week 9, hopefully this year will produce a much better result! If you recall that game was at The Ralph where the fans tried to have a White Out. It was an epic disaster that day, we got smashed.

But what went wrong that year? They just got exposed as being not that deep? Freddie was also out I believe the second half of the year and teams knew how to play against Gailey and Fitz's game plan more I think.

I'd imagine this team has more depth.

1. Lack of processes;

2. Minimal buy in and trust in questionable processes; and

3. Did not defend dirt.

A concussion suffered during a preseason game. Weeks after the mat incident.

History man. It just is not all that accurate. I hear ya.

Like the myth that Matt Cassel tenure with Bills ended in a rogue trade by Whaley.

A concussion suffered during a preseason game. Weeks after the mat incident.

He got hit in the back of the head by a trailing defender softer than my young kid hits my 55+ yr old head every day several times with no concussion, stars, or dizziness.

Buffalo was +9 in turnovers through their first 7 of 2011 (with Fitz throwing 7 picks in those games). This year it's +14, which I find hard to believe can be sustained.

The WR corps back then was thin, much as it is now and neither the 2011 and 2017 should have/are banking on the QB to bring them from behind

Big difference is the 2017 defense isn't the bend but don't break version they featured in 2011. At the same time, neither the 2011 or 2017 defenses were/are generating a lot of pass rush.

Big difference is the 2017 defense isn't the bend but don't break version they featured in 2011. At the same time, neither the 2011 or 2017 defenses were/are generating a lot of pass rush.

I think we play a bend but don't break defense this year too. But we are playing it better. A lot better.

I think we'll continue to get at least some turn overs because we are also how a ball Hawking defense. We are flat out taking the football away from them. Even our kicker.

Tyrod is the difference. He has much better touch on the long ball than Fitz. He doesn't turn the ball over and lose games the way Fitz can. Our defense may not continue to play at this level, but they will still play hard and win us some games. As long as TT and Shady don't get injured, this won't be a repeat of 2011.

FWIW I liked Chan quite a bit. I liked Fitz too, fun to root for and a good QB, but not a playoff QB. I think TT will show this year that he is.

Jets only have four days too. They play hard, but are very beatable.

Not if they still cannot how to cover TEs. I see major warning signs in that area we need to shore up facing Sefarian-Jenkins, Coby Fleener, Travis Kelce and Rob Gronkowski in the next month!

I am very nervous about those matchups.