This Defense

I know a lot of people are upset about the Pass Defense, but that is the way it is with the cover two, it allows opposing offenses from the 20 to 20 but get in the red zone and than it becomes very difficult to score on. Don't forget this is only Mcdermott's first year, when he gets another off-season to tweak it maybe he gets more players that fit it maybe he drafts another linebacker. I know that the linebackers have played well but he likes his linebackers to have speed out there. But all in all I like this defense.

I know a lot of people are upset about the Pass Defense, but that is the way it is with the cover two, it allows opposing offenses from the 20 to 20 but get in the red zone and than it becomes very difficult to score on. Don't forget this is only Mcdermott's first year, when he gets another off-season to tweak it maybe he gets more players that fit it maybe he drafts another linebacker. I know that the linebackers have played well but he likes his linebackers to have speed out there. But all in all I like this defense.

Upset? Naw, more like a bit disappointing.

3 big blown plays. I'm hoping it was an oddity and not the beginning of a trend.

If they give up yards but avoid the big plays and continue to make the turnovers I am OK with the Defense. Stop the run avoid the 30 plus yard passing plays and get a take away or 2 is a very good formula. For everything Tampa is their offense is explosive and Winston has now thrown for 300 in 4 striaght games. Carr and Oakland present similar problems but are more 1 dimensional. Against the good Qbs they are going to move the ball the defense has to make the plays when they are given the opportunities and hold them to as many Fgs as possible.

Edited by Mat68

Like the direction of the defense, just need more McDermott guys in the building. Faster linebackers, fresh legs on the line and some depth in the secondary are all coming our way. This offseason with draft picks up the behind and free agency should be able to address quite a few of those holes.

Like the direction of the defense, just need more McDermott guys in the building. Faster linebackers, fresh legs on the line and some depth in the secondary are all coming our way. This offseason with draft picks up the behind and free agency should be able to address quite a few of those holes.

Not to single your post out... But I repeatedly see this sentiment throughout the board. I think a lot of people are getting a little too hyped for this epic draft we're going to have. We're going to package picks to trade up and get the long awaited franchise QB, draft a stud WR, all star new DT, a couple starting LBs, CB, and depth on the lines and secondary . It's getting a little unrealistic, if you ask me.

Not to single your post out... But I repeatedly see this sentiment throughout the board. I think a lot of people are getting a little too hyped for this epic draft we're going to have. We're going to package picks to trade up and get the long awaited franchise QB, draft a stud WR, all star new DT, a couple starting LBs, CB, and depth on the lines and secondary . It's getting a little unrealistic, if you ask me.

We will be lucky to get 3 NFL caliber starters in the draft. I doubt one is going to be a receiver either. I am thinking 2 actual starters = QB, DT Then one borderline NFL starter CB and some chumps that never start more than 2 or 3 regular season NFL games

3 big blown plays. I'm hoping it was an oddity and not the beginning of a trend.

Me too. Hope to see no more of it myself. But I know sometimes games like that will happen. Hopefully they get it back on track starting with the front.

You realize that Buffalo's defensive snap count is at 410. If we use your number of 3 "big blown plays" it is less than 1% (.73%) of the time. IF you are using the NFL's manner of categorizing "big plays" (gains of 20-plus yards) as a percentage.... I couldn't tell you where we stand on that atm. I am at work. I am sure someone can chime in on that stat relative to the rest of the league. I personally don't recall "many". Edited by aceman_16

You realize that Buffalo's defensive snap count is at 410. If we use your number of 3 "big blown plays" it is less than 1% (.73%) of the time. IF you are using the NFL's manner of categorizing "big plays" (gains of 20-plus yards) as a percentage.... I couldn't tell you where we stand on that atm. I am at work. I am sure someone can chime in on that stat relative to the rest of the league. I personally don't recall "many".

3 blown plays in the TB game. That also took the defense to 4th in points allowed.

Point is I hope it is not the beginning of a trend.

This soft zone scares the hell out of me---particularly when they aren't getting to the QB. But it's hard to argue with its success, so far. With that said, I think Brady will tear it up, unless the Bills put him on his ass.

3 blown plays in the TB game. That also took the defense to 4th in points allowed.

Point is I hope it is not the beginning of a trend.

I gotcha... sorry I thought meant as of late in totality. I am still curious how we stack up on big plays. I still relish in the fact we are 4th best in scoring against in the league.

I gotcha... sorry I thought meant as of late in totality. I am still curious how we stack up on big plays. I still relish in the fact we are 4th best in scoring against in the league.

no problem. that **** happens from time to time.

With all of the shutouts these past 2 weeks that number will probably go higher. Well unless the Bills pull off a shutout themselves.

I am not overly worried about the pass D, as of now.

Two passing TDs came on the back of Lorax admittedly messing up his assignment/losing OJ Howard...the other TD to Evans was on a perfect pass/route/catch while he was blanketed by White. Great offensive plays will happen, and I am confident we can shore up the communication / losing guys issue with proper coaching, which we have.

This defense WILL give up pass yards, no doubt about it. The goal is to keep guys in front of you, make open field tackles, hold to field goals and cause turnovers.

Lack of pass rush is a little concerning, not just sacks, but getting QBs pressured so they make mistakes or are uncomfortable. Maybe this will be the week (against a stellar O-line lol)?