I'm sure there is a Zay thread

jumbalaya

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Eric Moulds in his first two seasons? Was looking like a colossal bust. Patience.

Not a good comparison. While Moulds only had like 50 total catches his first two years, he was also the Bills primary kick returner and returned one or two for TD's. He also carried the ball number of times on reverses. In Moulds' rookie year, he probably had 80 "touches". Jones will be nowhere near that kind of contribution this season.

Similar thread to there is a ball in the air but Zay could not find it.

They need to put Zay J on the bench for two weeks...

Then forget about about him forever.

While he may certainly need to sit, forgetting about him forever? A rookie receiver where it's known most receivers don't fully blossom until their 3rd year. Genius. I hope no one lets you make any decisions of consequence...ever.

No question. No one wants to hear this but he's literally the worst starting WR in the league. It's not even close. And it's not like he's producing but we have to put up with some drops. He's literally the worst. Out of, say, 64.

I do think he will snap out of it soon. I do think we should still throw to him. I do think he is a big talent. And it's all a mind game he will soon get out of. That is not guaranteed of course. But I truly believe it is nerves way more than talent. And as soon as the nerves don't spook him like they are now he will be fine. He's actually open a lot. That's usually a much bigger problem for a #2 WR. He'll be fine but we don't know if it's game 7 or 10 or 12 or 15. And the longer it takes the worse we are. Deonte is a much more reliable guy now.

He's a big receiver who showed instincts in college but he's going to have to grow into the NFL game because he's not a dynamic athlete.

David is a good LB but if you are a WR and can't get separation from him 40 plus yards down field then you just ain't fast by NFL WR standards.

Thompson looked like he did in preseason 2015.........except he caught the passes this time.

Might still be easier to go out and get another deep threat on the outside......bench Jones......... and try to get back to scoring 24-26 per game like last year rather than hope to find replacements for Glass Gaines and Poyer in the secondary. Not many quality DB's demanding trades that I know of. :flirt:

He's a big receiver who showed instincts in college but he's going to have to grow into the NFL game because he's not a dynamic athlete.

David is a good LB but if you are a WR and can't get separation from him 40 plus yards down field then you just ain't fast by NFL WR standards.

Thompson looked like he did in preseason 2015.........except he caught the passes this time.

Might still be easier to go out and get another deep threat on the outside......bench Jones......... and try to get back to scoring 24-26 per game like last year rather than hope to find replacements for Glass Gaines and Poyer in the secondary. Not many quality DB's demanding trades that I know of. :flirt:

With Palmer going down their "window" is likely closed for the near future. Pat Pete would defintely be a McD guy, it's worth a look but I'd guess their asking price would be too high.

How anyone can call a player a bust after 6 games is beyond me. Honestly, how many draft picks 2nd round or lower each year

bust out right away? Many receivers don't fully get it until their third year. For the love of God, let the young players develop before

you run them out of town.

Whether he is a bust or not is irrelevant right now. That won't be determined for a couple more years. What is relevant right now is that the passing attack fails at a 78% rate when he is targeted. With the emergence of Thompson it might not be necessary to force Jones into so much playing time now. Go with Matthews, Thompson and Holmes and let Jones come in sparingly as the #4 receiver.

Zay Jones has 7 catches on 32 targets (21.8%) for 87 yards (2.7 YPA).

We need to stop throwing this guy the ball. He shouldn't even be on the field.

Exactly. And the reason for these terrible numbers is likely a combination of different things, but the bottom line is, Zay being on the field is killing the offense right now. Put someone else in his place, have that player run the same routes or different routes what ever you have to do to eliminate that inefficiency.

And yet another wasted draft pick (actually, i think we wasted 2 draft picks to get this scrub)...........................yikes.

Wrong. Let's break this down.

The Bills were sitting at 44 (1) while the Rams were on the clock. The Bills trade their second AND third round picks (2 & 3) to the Rams to move up to 37 (4) where they select Zay Jones. That's 4 picks!! This is almost as bad as the Watkins fiasco that cost 6 draft picks!!!

The Bills were sitting at 44 (1) while the Rams were on the clock. The Bills trade their second AND third round picks (2 & 3) to the Rams to move up to 37 (4) where they select Zay Jones. That's 4 picks!! This is almost as bad as the Watkins fiasco that cost 6 draft picks!!!

Not sure how you came up with: " that's 4 picks!". They traded two picks for...two picks. Is that what you are saying? Didn't they trade pick #44 and #91 for #37 and #149? e often hear about how a team gives up too many picks, ignoring the fact they are 'swapping" first round picks.

Edited by Pablocruise

Huh?

The pass Jones dropped today he didn't have to dive for.

What're you talking about?

That wasn't Jones who "got his feet tangled" up going for the TD and didn't get a flag?

My bad, I was sure the announcers said it was Jones.

636443489275240134-JG-102217-Bills-36.JP

# 11 is Zay Jones right?

0ap3000000846523_video_cp.jpg catchable?

Zay-Drop-350x263.jpg

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Not sure about that. He's just dropping balls he should catch. It's just nerves to me. He is getting open. He is usually in the right spot. You don't think too much and then forget to catch the ball (outside of running before catching it which isn't what is happening). He's just dropping balls right in his hands he should catch.

The only other thing I see him doing wrong is a few times he didn't track the ball well when it was in the air.

This season there have only been a few passes that Jones should have caught but he dropped. You make it sound like the pass hits him in the hands and he drops it because he was turning to run or afraid of getting hit. Taylor has thrown a lot of passes Jones way that are off target and if it was caught, it would be a hell of a catch. I am not letting Jones of the hook, he needs to improve and get more separation but lets look at the quality of throws his way.

This season there have only been a few passes that Jones should have caught but he dropped. You make it sound like the pass hits him in the hands and he drops it because he was turning to run or afraid of getting hit. Taylor has thrown a lot of passes Jones way that are off target and if it was caught, it would be a hell of a catch. I am not letting Jones of the hook, he needs to improve and get more separation but lets look at the quality of throws his way.

see above,

Doesn't it seem like the guys who scream loudest for TT are hardest on ZJ?

Zay needs to improve for sure, so does the "targeting".

I am not sure where you get 4 picks from. The Bills swapped 2nd round picks and they gave them the 3rd they got from Chiefs but also got a 5th round pick back. They traded their original 3rd round pick in a deal to move up to draft Dawkins.

This logic never ceases to amaze me. Wonder if you have ever traded in a car?? Probably not since it would take like Three cars to just get one......math doesnt work here. You cannot count the pick that is swapped and you cannot write of the actual pick itself. Same with the Sammy Watkins draft ....somehow many are convinced we gave up more than we did to get him and people buy it. Not what happened.

Edited by Thud