Marshawn pushes Ref: Predictions

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's not act like he pulled the guy's pants down and made him squeal like a pig. He slightly pushed him in the heat of a brawl. Perspective.

Understood perspective but there should be zero tolerance, never touch an official. You allow them that and then you have opened up Pandora's box...did he push the ref or just touch, how hard did he push, yes he pushed the ref but only slightly etc etc etc.

I was mad at first when I heard about it. But when I watched it, I didn't think it was that bad.

One big difference to me is that he was very plainly not after the official. He wasn't mad at him, he wasn't trying to do anything to him, and in some way it matters to me at least that the official put his hands on Marshawn first.

I think the ejection and a fine is enough, or maybe add in a one game suspension.

I was mad at first when I heard about it. But when I watched it, I didn't think it was that bad.

One big difference to me is that he was very plainly not after the official. He wasn't mad at him, he wasn't trying to do anything to him, and in some way it matters to me at least that the official put his hands on Marshawn first.

I think the ejection and a fine is enough, or maybe add in a one game suspension.

I saw Sam Monson from PFF getting roundly booed for wondering why the officials place hands on the players in the first place. Being Irish, Sam is from a rugby-heavy background, officials just let what happens happen and punish them after the fact.

I think he's got a point. Marshawn can't extricate himself from the grip of an official if he doesn't engage him to begin with.

Let's not act like he pulled the guy's pants down and made him squeal like a pig. He slightly pushed him in the heat of a brawl. Perspective.

That's the problem as I see it. First it's a misdirected push (Oops, didn't know that was a ref, sorry), then it's a harder shove where the ref falls to the ground (Oops, still didn't know that was a ref...heat of battle and all that), then i's a swing that accidentally connects with a ref (Hey, I was swinging at that guy and sorry I hit a ref). Are we going to judge every physical interaction with a ref based on this incident? Watch for super arbitrary suspensions or fines in the future based on the degree of contact with a ref. The easier solution should be "ANY contact with a ref, intended, unintended, or accidental, in the midst of a personal foul/fight should result in a 4 game suspension." That way players won't put themselves in that situation.

That's the problem as I see it. First it's a misdirected push (Oops, didn't know that was a ref, sorry), then it's a harder shove where the ref falls to the ground (Oops, still didn't know that was a ref...heat of battle and all that), then i's a swing that accidentally connects with a ref (Hey, I was swinging at that guy and sorry I hit a ref). Are we going to judge every physical interaction with a ref based on this incident? Watch for super arbitrary suspensions or fines in the future based on the degree of contact with a ref. The easier solution should be "ANY contact with a ref, intended, unintended, or accidental, in the midst of a personal foul/fight should result in a 4 game suspension." That way players won't put themselves in that situation.

That is the exact Pandora's box scenario i was referring to. Trying to determine intent could result in some very divergent and unintended consequences.

How was it that Lynch was beaten out by Freddie Jackson in Buffalo? Jackson has far more heart and determination, but Lynch had more physical talent. If he had used it while in Buffalo who knows how things would have shaken out.

I say all that as a fan of Jackson -- one of my all-time favorite Bills. But I don't think other teams game-planned to stop him, where the Seahawks opponents probably did game plan Lynch.

No counselor, however I suggest if he did what he did to another player instead of a ref, it's not even a flag.

That's the point...it did happen to a ref. Doesn't matter what his intent was with respect to another player (if someone was to argue he didn't know there was a ref close by)

As far as this incident goes, no big deal. He went out there to protect someone close to him (on the other team) thinking he could get his teammates to back off before something happened. That might not go over well in the Raiders locker room, but I don't think his intentions were bad. He wasn't running out there to start fighting. However, rules are rules. He did leave the bench and shove an official. He was right to be penalized, ejected, and fined. That ref doesn't know that he's cousins or whatever with Peters, so in the moment, he can't assess his intentions. Just like the Von Miller/Tyrod Taylor psyche play. In that moment, the ref doesn't know that they're friends and just joking around, so he assumed the intention was something else. You can't expect refs to know the players relationships with each other.

BUT...those who don't understand why many people don't like Marshawn obviously do not remember his time in Buffalo. I don't know the guy personally and people who do say he's a great, funny guy. But from the outside when you see him hit a woman with his car and then flee the scene (not even waiting to see if she is ok) and try to not get caught for it, when he brings his own liquor to bars (very disrespectful to local businesses), when he would (be it some kind of joke or not) intimidatingly corner people in bars and demand that they give him twenty bucks, when he can't get over himself with the media (as bad as they can be), when he talked bad about the Bills or Buffalo (back at that time), arrested for illegal gun possession, DUIs, etc., it is no wonder some football fans don't have warm fuzzy feelings about the guy.

Maybe he has matured since his days in Buffalo, maybe not. But I was glad when he was traded and no matter how well he played for Seattle, I never wished we had kept him. I want to like the guys that I root for (like the guys on this McDermott team). Marshawn may be a great guy to the people in his life or in his community, but from the outside he doesn't appear like a great guy or appear to extend common courtesies to people outside his circle. I could be wrong and I'm not condemning the guy, everyone deserves second chances...but there are very solid reasons why some fans don't like him.

Edited by folz

You can take a man out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a man.

Lynch and his entourage later seen filming homemade rap video of Lynch with a gun in his hand yellin "Fug da PO-lice. Fug dem REF-rees."

image5.jpg

Your statement about the ghetto is truer and possibly more nuanced than you think. Listen closely to what Philosopher Slavoj Zizek says about it. I think it will offer you a broader understanding of your statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgAXrvocLA