Vick on Tyrod: "You've got a god given talent. Use it."

Taylor himself might be trying to limit the amount of hard hits IMO.

...Jesus 'Fig, I hope not,,,,,it's part of the game.....if we're are harkening back to the days of Spent Trent Edwards and the Aneas Williams' hit, we have big issues as far as pussification at this level IMO....the physical risks are huge as are the financial rewards.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, seeing how you're comparing apples to apples (nfl player vs. lawyer), I guess I have to agree.

Plus, Alex Smith has been consistently very good for about the past 7 years. It certainly didn't take him 7 years to be a decent QB, although yes - he has gotten better.

Again, your comparison (Smith vs. Taylor) is another apples to apples comparison that I really can't dispute.

What is the difference between learning to read defenses and any other career? I dont think ball placement or arm strength can be developed very much beyond the first couple seasons, but a lot of QB skills are mental. Theres no reason to think they cant get better years after they entered the league. From 2007 to 2013 Carson Palmer was the definition of average before having a career resurgence in 2014 (only started 6 games due to injuries) and the best season of his career in 2015. Tom Brady was 39 last year and played the best football of his life. Peyton Manning had his best season ever in 2013.

Alex Smith didnt have a season passer rating above 81.2 until his 6th year. Mind you he was a starter for most of that time. His YPA was below 7.0 until that 6th year. And now finally in his 13th season hes playing like a QB that could win a Super Bowl with a better defense.

Tyrod HAS played decently enough to be a starter in this league. Even if hes not on the Bills next year he will start somewhere. Maybe he never advances beyond where he is now but its silly to assume thats the case. He would be far from the 1st QB in history to play above his mean late in his career.

1). People treat Smith like he is some scrub. He was the number 1 overall pick. Tyrod went in the 6th.

3). Smith played as a rookie on a terrible team so its easier to understand his struggles. Tyrod sat for 3 years and then joined a 9-7 team.

#1 is completely meaningless. Makes as much sense as saying Jamarcus Russell isnt a scrub because he was a 1st overall pick.

Tyrod didnt join a 9-7 team. He joined a Rex Ryan-led team. Alex Smith started multiple games in his first 3 seasons and still wasnt as good in his 4th season as Tyrod was in 2015.

I think Tyrod could absolutely elevate his play from where if is now. I dont know how likely it is, Im not gonna try and put a percentage on it, but it could happen and it wouldnt be that shocking historically speaking.

Side note - anyone else having a weird issue with apostrophes being deleted after they make a post? Ever since I got the new iOS update.

Well, seeing how you're comparing apples to apples (nfl player vs. lawyer), I guess I have to agree.

Plus, Alex Smith has been consistently very good for about the past 7 years. It certainly didn't take him 7 years to be a decent QB, although yes - he has gotten better.

Again, your comparison (Smith vs. Taylor) is another apples to apples comparison that I really can't dispute.

By the end of Alex Smith 7th year starting (actually his 8th year in the league because he was out one year) he was just as average as Tyrod is today and he had 80 games of experience. Smith had a better completion % that year but was throwing for the same 173 yards per game and had 13 TDs over 10 games. In that 7th year Smith had one of the best defenses in the league an elite oline and stellar talent around him at RB, WR, and TE's. During that year and the year prior Smith had 1 game of 300 yards and a bunch of sub 200 yard games. The vast majority of his games were right around 200 yards.

Combined stats of Smiths first 7 years of starting (8th year in league):

80 games 2177 att 1290 comp 59.26% 27 att/g 14,280 yards 6.6 avg 178.5 yards/game 81 TDs 63 INTs 79.14 rating

I would say your comment is very wrong. That is not to say that Taylor will become Alex Smith today, but your comments about Smith's past is highly inaccurate.

...Jesus 'Fig, I hope not,,,,,it's part of the game.....if we're are harkening back to the days of Spent Trent Edwards and the Aneas Williams' hit, we have big issues as far as pussification at this level IMO....the physical risks are huge as are the financial rewards.............

We want him to play QB, not RB.

I seriously doubt fear of being hit has much to do with it.

More to do with job security IMO.

What is the difference between learning to read defenses and any other career? I dont think ball placement or arm strength can be developed very much beyond the first couple seasons, but a lot of QB skills are mental. Theres no reason to think they cant get better years after they entered the league. From 2007 to 2013 Carson Palmer was the definition of average before having a career resurgence in 2014 (only started 6 games due to injuries) and the best season of his career in 2015. Tom Brady was 39 last year and played the best football of his life. Peyton Manning had his best season ever in 2013.

Alex Smith didnt have a season passer rating above 81.2 until his 6th year. Mind you he was a starter for most of that time. His YPA was below 7.0 until that 6th year. And now finally in his 13th season hes playing like a QB that could win a Super Bowl with a better defense.

Tyrod HAS played decently enough to be a starter in this league. Even if hes not on the Bills next year he will start somewhere. Maybe he never advances beyond where he is now but its silly to assume thats the case. He would be far from the 1st QB in history to play above his mean late in his career.

Well if you're going to get all silly and use passer rating, I have no chance.

Alex Smith was also on a run first/conservative passing game offense, which was beyond his control.

You can see what he's done since HE was "unleashed."

Tyrod was "unleashed" four weeks ago and still looks the same to me.

I remember going to a game and seeing a Vick-led Falcons team versus what was at the time I think a good Bills defense. What left an impression with me with Vick was not his legs, but (1) how much bigger he looked in the pocket than I expected and (2) that he climbed the pocket and threw the ball with authority, zip, and accuracy. I get that his throwing stats are pretty similar to Taylor's, but I think Vick was an underrated pocket passer.

You are seemingly basing that on a pretty small sample.

Dude was a low-mid 50s completion percentage at his prime. He had a rocket arm but erratic accuracy and decision making.

It's not an attack, it's an observation. You give morons a bad name.

To paraphrase what a moderator once said: When you call someone an idiot, you're an idiot. But when I call you an idiot, you're an idiot.

In fact, here's the post: https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/113015-thanks-leonidas/?p=1851297

I guess that makes you King of the Idiots. Congratulations, Tom.

We want him to play QB, not RB.

I seriously doubt fear of being hit has much to do with it.

More to do with job security IMO.

....Russell Wilson seems to have have a balance blend despite some beatings from zero OL....why discount the ability to selectively "pick your spots" when and IF wheels are needed?...I'm not implying a steady dose......

....Russell Wilson seems to have have a balance blend despite some beatings from zero OL....why discount the ability to selectively "pick your spots" when and IF wheels are needed?...I'm not implying a steady dose......

I agree,

It can be done...

Alex Smith is having the best season of his career, in year 13. I dont know why the assumption is that every QB hits a ceiling at a certain point and can never improve from there. Thats not true in anything else in life. A 30 year old lawyer surely knows more about his career than his 25 year old self so whats the difference in football? Some things, Ike athleticism, cant be improved all that much. But Tyrods weaknesses in particular - reading a defense, making good decisions - can certainly improve with experience. Hell never be Peyton Manning but can he be 2017 Alex Smith? I think so.

Alex Smith was very good in SF before the Kap fiasco.

He was always good in KC.

No comparison sir.

Why SF let him go is mind boggling

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

No comparison sir.

Alex Smith was not good at all until his sixth season in San Francisco. Tyrod's first two years here were better than any of Smith's first five seasons in San Francisco. Most fans couldn't believe he was still there.

Alex Smith was not good at all until his sixth season in San Francisco. Tyrod's first two years here were better than any of Smith's first five seasons in San Francisco. Most fans couldn't believe he was still there.

Where was SF the last season AS was there?

Knocking on the door to a championship IIRC.

I did say at the end.

I knocked on AS myself but hes led his team to success

Hows 10 or 11 straight wins look on ones resume?

#1 is completely meaningless. Makes as much sense as saying Jamarcus Russell isnt a scrub because he was a 1st overall pick.

Tyrod didnt join a 9-7 team. He joined a Rex Ryan-led team. Alex Smith started multiple games in his first 3 seasons and still wasnt as good in his 4th season as Tyrod was in 2015.

I think Tyrod could absolutely elevate his play from where if is now. I dont know how likely it is, Im not gonna try and put a percentage on it, but it could happen and it wouldnt be that shocking historically speaking.

Side note - anyone else having a weird issue with apostrophes being deleted after they make a post? Ever since I got the new iOS update.

Will he catch up to Wentz though is that not a possibility?

Where was SF the last season AS was there?

Knocking on the door to a championship IIRC.I did say at the end. I knocked on AS myself but hes led his team to success

Hows 10 or 11 straight wins look on ones resume?

No, you said he was good before the Kap fiasco. Nothing about the end. He was bad for five straight years before Kap, and good for two years with Kap.

No comparison sir.

Why SF let him go is mind boggling

...and the QB expertise of OBD shined AGAIN when Smith was a UFA and the braintrusts cited him as a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick" and passed.....we have redefined woeful since the Kelly era as far as the QB spot....and TE spot is a close 2nd.....but neither are key positions to an offense anyway........