Vlad Ducasse vs John Miller

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because Vlad is playing better than Miller?

No. That explains why Vlad might start over Miller. Not why Miller is inactive. If McDermott doesn't want to play Groy at guard, who comes in if Vlad goes down?

I was in the car coming back from a road trip and didn't get to see yesterday's game yet--if Vlad was that much improved, then color me impressed with the staff.

he did look better, and the staff continued the recent trend of reverting back to last years scheme (and even some EXACT plays in the run game)...and that has helped a lot of our guys

No. That explains why Vlad might start over Miller. Not why Miller is inactive. If McDermott doesn't want to play Groy at guard, who comes in if Vlad goes down?

Miller is inactive because if he's active and Groy isn't, there's no backup center.

Groy plays G if someone goes down during the game, just like he did yesterday. He's active because he has more versatility than Miller

Because he's only been playing one reserve guard per game. That guard has been Groy.

The guard that has been sitting game to game has been between Vlad and Miller.

Ducasse - 16th rated OG in the League

12th vs Run

I guess this is yet another decision that McD made that went against popular belief that has been correct.

I was in the car coming back from a road trip and didn't get to see yesterday's game yet--if Vlad was that much improved, then color me impressed with the staff.

Pass protection held up very well yesterday and the running game really got going. Never noticed him badly getting beat like before. He had himself a solid day.

Per whom? Mrs. Ducasse?...

Oh, I suppose we should automatically discount PFF and go with Lurker's grading system. Or should we discount them for popular belief among arm chair analysts who visits message boards on a daily basis?

I see they've taken any reference to their methodology down from their site.

If they're still dependent on broadcast feeds for their player evaluations then they're exceptional marketers but lousy talent evaluators...

Edit:

I found this gem in their FAQs: https://pff.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2505598-why-is-player-x-rated-so-low-or-so-high-in-your-rankings-

Why is Player X rated so low or so high in your rankings?
Last Updated: Jul 06, 2017 11:17AM EDT

This is easily the most asked question we get and so it is going to get pride of place at the top of our FAQ. The first thing to note about our “rankings” is that they are not rankings in the traditional sense. We don’t measure talent; we’re not telling you who the best players are. Our rankings are more of a performance evaluation, and a reflection of how efficiently a player made plays in the time he was on the field.

Edited by Lurker

Here is another gem .

Whenever Cris Collinsworth entered an NBC pregame production meeting with Chip Kelly, he knew what to expect: criticism, and lots of it. In 2014, Collinsworth had become the majority owner of Pro Football Focus, a site whose granular NFL analysis and sometimes controversial grading system has been pouring into mainstream coverage. Kelly, one of the NFL’s bluntest coaches, wasn’t a fan.

“He would just wear me out over the PFF data,” Collinsworth recalled. “He disagreed with this, or that, or whatever.”

Kelly didn’t confine his critique to those meetings, either. Late last season, when a reporter covering the 49ers suggested that one of San Francisco’s offensive linemen was statistically superior to another, citing PFF data, Kelly let loose.

“I mean, I’ve said it all along: How can they grade an offensive lineman when they don’t know what the play is?” Kelly asked. He went through the standard complaint: An outside analyst can’t know what play was called, or who had what assignment, and thus the grading process is unreliable.

“I think there’s a lot of players and coaches that feel the same way,” Kelly said. “You can do whatever you want with it. It’s like me going into a bank and grading a teller because they gave me a lollipop. I gave them a 94.3.”

After the season, though, Kelly did what the company has invited its critics to do: He studied its process. He met some of its analysts — who watch every player on every snap — and watched them make evaluations. And then, according to Collinsworth, he bought a share of the company.

The coaches that have come in there cannot believe the process and how thorough it is,” Collinsworth said in a phone interview this week. “Is it perfect? I’m sure it’s not perfect. But it’s pretty darn close.”

That, of course, is not yet a universal opinion. Thirty of the 32 NFL teams are paying customers of PFF, and Collinsworth said the company’s expansive film marking system is likely what’s most valuable to teams. PFF also deals in the purely objective, tracking various statistics, both traditional and advanced.

Holy moley. I don't care what play was called or what his assignment was supposed to be, but that is just ridiculous. He looks like the personification of a Roomba, or one of those lineman from the old electronic football games that vibrated when you turned it on.

Well we saw yesterday if a guard goes down Groy or Dawkins can go as our coaches showed.