Controversial Calls from Week 6: NYJ TD and Rodgers Hit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The interpretation and explanation of the rule was fairly clear and eloquent. It seems to be a judgement call. The qb retains protections in section 2 regardless if out of pocket. So judgement determines whether those protections were violated (stuffing, etc.). My judgement says yes. Others say no. But I do not think it is clearly one way or the other based on the letter of the rule.

Now, my bias. If this were Brady, the nfl and everyone else would be having a different conversation. Barr would be suspended.

The interpretation and explanation of the rule was fairly clear and eloquent. It seems to be a judgement call. The qb retains protections in section 2 regardless if out of pocket. So judgement determines whether those protections were violated (stuffing, etc.). My judgement says yes. Others say no. But I do not think it is clearly one way or the other based on the letter of the rule.

And the last part of the rule says that if there is any doubt, the official should call roughing the passer. Ergo...

There should have been a flag on Barr imo. Can you imagine if that were Tom Brady (i only wish). They throw a flag on Von Miller for a joke but dont flag that?

Jets call, manufactured, they really scrambled to come up with a plausible denial but there wasn't enough to overturn the original call.

They kept running the replay at a slow speed. In real time, it was a fraction of second between releasing the ball and Barr, going full speed, hitting him. If they start calling that a PF, when the QB is out of the pocket and running, they should just go to flag football. Edited by yungmack

Jets TD reversal was as crooked as they come. The NFL has become a joke and this is part of the reason why people are turning it off.

The Rodgers injury was clean and legal and an unfortunate part of the game. I agree that if you start flagging that, you need to put a red jersey on QB's and disallow them from being hit at all.

Jets TD reversal was as crooked as they come. The NFL has become a joke and this is part of the reason why people are turning it off.

The Rodgers injury was clean and legal and an unfortunate part of the game. I agree that if you start flagging that, you need to put a red jersey on QB's and disallow them from being hit at all.

You are correct on both fronts.

Can these refs see anything? This is not a clear fumble out of bounds. He clearly regained control and his left knee was down just before he hit he pylon and the ground(endzone) inside the pylon. This was a TD.

The refs said he lost control again when he hit the ground therefore it was a fumble out of end zone. This is BS.

I believe this was an improper judgement call on if he controlled the ball when he hit the ground to complete the play. (which by the way I have never heard of before except in cases of incomplete or complete passes)You can see him change the ball from his left hand to his right hand when he hits the ground. In my judgement that is not a fumble as the ball never came out and this is not a juggle. He clearly still controlled the ball throughout the process. Players change hands all the time and it is never considered out of his control or a fumble.

NFL screwed this up big time. At the very least it is inconclusive so original TD call stands. All day except when you play the Cheats.

Fact check for any fan and NFL........if this was ruled a TD there would be no one talking about any controversy at all. NO ONE.

:thumbsup:

The Jets call was BS.

The Rodgers hit was legal AND clean.

My opinions.

I totally agree.

The call in the Jests game on the field was TD, and there didn't seem to be clear enough evidence to the contrary. Belichick and Vlad Ducasse apparently know where the right bodies are buried.

Rodgers landed wrong on his shoulder. Manure happens.

There are two ancient and well known dictums in English law: 1) "The divel himself knoweth not the thought of man" and 2) "The state of a man's mind is as much a fact as the state of his digestion".

We will never know what was going on in Barr's mind and actually we don't need to know. All we need do is determine what the visual evidence objectively tells us he can reasonably be considered to have known or ought to have known. He had plenty enuf time to know before contact that AR would be in a vulnerable position and he chose, and I suspect consciously (tho this is not necessary to my conclusion), to land with his full weight (especially damning given the express wording of the rule) on the obviously defenseless AR (instead of opting for a less punishing type of contact). So Mannc 1, 26 0 (in my humble and respectful opinion). I will say that lots of wise heads disagree, for example Tony Dungy, who says it was just football. Still I think I see stuff like that called in the pocket all the time.

As for the fumble through the endzone, Corrente agrees that SJ regained possession and control (as in having a firm grip) after bobbling the ball, but he claims there was a second loss of possession as he went to the ground which none of the tape supports. To the contrary, the tape and two AP still frame shots from the back of the endzone show him with a firm handle of the ball as he breaks the plane at the pylon while still in bounds. So 100% coverup and fake news. Next time Corrente shows up in the meadowlands Jets fans should string him up to a goal post and let him hang there till he rots.

And whats with Brady doing all the time joining in on on field ref conferences (when all other players get pushed out)? There is another legal sayng, "justice must not only be done, but it must also manifestly appear to be done". Maybe someone should tell those dufusses in the league office how bad that looks.

Football to a lot of America still has this intrinsic connection with playing in your backyard as a kid. A catch was a catch and a fumble was a fumble. Before they introduced replay, this was still how it was in the NFL. Since they've introduced replay we've gotten further and further from these perfectly acceptable rules. It's not complicated.

Replay has slowed down significantly and fans are now rooting for whether the 6mm white laces of the football are connecting with the foam polygon in the corner of the endzone. That becomes the highlight. I might be too far gone to leave the NFL, but I care much less.

What happened to the Jets disgusting and tarnishes the name of football significantly. We don't know what a catch is. We don't know what a fumble is. We don't know what a touchdown is.

There are two ancient and well known dictums in English law: 1) "The divel himself knoweth not the thought of man" and 2) "The state of a man's mind is as much a fact as the state of his digestion".

We will never know what was going on in Barr's mind and actually we don't need to know. All we need do is determine what the visual evidence objectively tells us he can reasonably be considered to have known or ought to have known. He had plenty enuf time to know before contact that AR would be in a vulnerable position and he chose, and I suspect consciously (tho this is not necessary to my conclusion), to land with his full weight (especially damning given the express wording of the rule) on the obviously defenseless AR (instead of opting for a less punishing type of contact). So Mannc 1, 26 0 (in my humble and respectful opinion). I will say that lots of wise heads disagree, for example Tony Dungy, who says it was just football. Still I think I see stuff like that called in the pocket all the time.

As for the fumble through the endzone, Corrente agrees that SJ regained possession and control (as in having a firm grip) after bobbling the ball, but he claims there was a second loss of possession as he went to the ground which none of the tape supports. To the contrary, the tape and two AP still frame shots from the back of the endzone show him with a firm handle of the ball as he breaks the plane at the pylon while still in bounds. So 100% coverup and fake news. Next time Corrente shows up in the meadowlands Jets fans should string him up to a goal post and let him hang there till he rots.

And whats with Brady doing all the time joining in on on field ref conferences (when all other players get pushed out)? There is another legal sayng, "justice must not only be done, but it must also manifestly appear to be done". Maybe someone should tell those dufusses in the league office how bad that looks.

On field ref, two former supervisor of officials, and anyone else who understands the rules 1 mannc & starrymessenger 0 The hit didn't happen in the pocket.

On field ref, two former supervisor of officials, and anyone else who understands the rules 1 mannc & starrymessenger 0 The hit didn't happen in the pocket.

ok my bad, I thought we had concluded that AR was entitled to the same protection outside the pocket as a passer in the circumstances. If you agree with that statement and if you think it would have been flagged had it occured inside the pocket than you would logically have to say it should also be flagged outside the pocket.

BTW imo you would be better off referencing someone like Dungy, a real man worthy of respect, to support your argument. I can remember many stupid calls secondary men like Blandino and Perreira defended in their official capacities.