Controversial Calls from Week 6: NYJ TD and Rodgers Hit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expert opinion:

@MikePereira

That hit on Rodgers was legal. He was out of the pocket on the run.

As anyone can tell from reading the rule, and as GoBills808 pointed out, Pereira has focused on the wrong issue. The fact that Rodgers was out of the pocket does not rob him of the other protections afforded a passer, including the stuffing the passer rule quoted above.

Edited by mannc

@NFLonFOX
Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino go over some of the most controversial plays in Week 6 of the NFL week - including t…

You can post as many links as you want from so-called experts, but it won't change the rule or the fact that it appeared very much to be an illegal hit and should have been flagged.

As anyone can tell from reading the rule, and as GoBills808 pointed out, Pereira has focused on the wrong issue. The fact that Rodgers was out of the pocket does not rob him of the other protections afforded a passer, including the stuffing the passer rule quoted above.

That's the main issue for me, and it really looks like an obvious violation in that Barr clearly 'drove him down after he had thrown the ball' and also 'landed on top of him with all or most of his weight'...right?

There's Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino both saying the hit was 100% legal. Carry on.

Start the mannc football league and you can make it illegal.

There's Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino both saying the hit was 100% legal. Carry on.

Start the mannc football league and you can make it illegal.

Pereira has already demonstrated that he doesn't know the rule, so I don't put much stock in his opinion. The video clip you posted also demonstrates this.

Edited by mannc

Let's leave Mike Pereira out of this for a minute. Why do YOU contend it wasn't a penalty?

Rodgers was hit as soon as he released the ball outside of the pocket and on the run. Barr tackled him, but didn't drive him into the ground at all. No flag on a clean hit. Period.

Pereira has already demonstrated that he doesn't know the rule, so I don't put much stock in his opinion. The video clip you posted also demonstrates this.

It's true. I just watched 26CornerBlitz's video and they don't understand the rule as it applies to passers out of the pocket.

Yes mannc is the correct arbitrator while two former directors of NFL officiating don't know what they're talking about. nopity.gif

Rodgers was hit as soon as he released the ball outside of the pocket and on the run. Barr tackled him, but didn't drive him into the ground at all. No flag on a clean hit. Period.

If he didn't "drive him into the ground at all" or "land on him with all or most of his body weight" (which is also illegal) then how did Rodgers get hurt? And he was not hit "as soon as he released the ball."

If he didn't "drive him into the ground at all" or "land on him with all or most of his body weight" (which is also illegal) then how did Rodgers get hurt? And he was not hit "as soon as he released the ball."

No flag, no fine, no suspension. He got tackled on a clean hit with an unfortunate outcome of Rodgers being hurt. Newsflash! Football players sometimes get injured.

1. -'As soon as he released the ball' doesn't really mean anything. The rule says : 'A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (1) above'

2. -'Outside the pocket' doesn't take away the subsection 2 protections afforded passers, which I quoted above.

3. -'On the run': doesn't really have any bearing here.

4. -'Didn't drive him into the ground at all'...I guess that's a judgement call, but Barr's pretty clearly in violation of 'When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.'

It's very clear to me this was roughing the passer.

Yes mannc is the correct arbitrator while two former directors of NFL officiating don't know what they're talking about. nopity.gif

I've quoted the rule and explained very clearly why I believe it should have been a penalty. You've yet to refute that, but instead posted a link showing that Blandino and Pereira clearly don't know the rule.

1. -'As soon as he released the ball' doesn't really mean anything. The rule says : 'A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (1) above'

2. -'Outside the pocket' doesn't take away the subsection 2 protections afforded passers, which I quoted above.

3. -'On the run': doesn't really have any bearing here.

4. -'Didn't drive him into the ground at all'...I guess that's a judgement call, but Barr's pretty clearly in violation of 'When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.'

It's very clear to me this was roughing the passer.

Barr didn't do that which is why there wasn't a flag and there will be no subsequent fine or suspension.

If I'm reading it right, you can't tackle the passer in the manner Barr did regardless of whether the passer is in or out of the pocket, or even if he initiated contact DURING a throw'

I've quoted the rule and explained very clearly why I believe it should have been a penalty. You've yet to refute that, but instead posted a link showing that Blandino and Pereira clearly don't know the rule.

You explained nothing. You wrongly claimed Rodgers was driven into the ground.