This is the most wide open season the NFL has ever had

Webster Guy

I feel like it always starts this way then settles in shortly into November

Yep. Early season woes are still plaguing many teams. Right about now is when teams really start to gel. The *Pats have started slow in several seasons, only to put together nice win streak after September. The Bills, well, usually do the opposite after a good start.

We'll see some teams separate themselves over the next 6 weeks, but the league wants parity, and many teams will find themselves lumped in with the "floating around .500" group. It happens every year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People say this every year when things are muddled the first month or so but sooner than later the separation will begin.

In fact the usual suspects in the AFC are already making their moves taking control of their respective divisions (Pats, Steelers and Chiefs), the only division where things are murky is the AFC South given the QB situations there and even the Colts are still alive with their franchise QB still on the shelf.

As for the NFC, things are a little more open especially now with Rogers like out of the year but you have to believe teams like the Seahawks, Panthers, etc will be the last teams standing in Jan which is also the norm. Don't sleep on the Eagles either as a potential SB team.

the Pats are going to the Super Bowl.

Great parity there.

when nobody is allowed to be great, everyone is putrid

You are probably right about the Pats going to the Super Bowl. But if they don't, and we end up with Jaguars vs Saints in the SB because of parity, I would love it.

Injuries have also had a huge factor in why allot of teams are around .500. For instance the Raiders who were favored to go deep in the playoffs are on a 4 game skid with an injured QB who came back too early. Tennesee is under performing without Mariota. Buffalo's passing game as anemic as it was is even worse now without its only true weapon in clay and no Mathews to spell him and Zay not being reliable. David Johnson really set back the cardinals who have since replaced him with Peterson. Bucs linebackers absence has turned their defense into swiss cheese.

The Jets and Bills have exceeded expectations while the dolphins and Patriots have been inconsistent. Steelers finally had a decent win KC struggled yesterday. Eagles look like the class of the NFC.

I am enjoying this season except for my pickems.

Even though the play is ugly at times, I like that no teams are dominant minus KC. I like not knowing how the game is going to end....especially with all the come backs we have seen. I would take a little uglier play and competitve games rather than blow outs by a few teams.

Rogers gone. Patriots are basically a 500 team, Cowboys and Raiders with much less pop than last year, Denver and Pitt mediocre. KC still tough at home but gave one away yesterday, Atlanta losing to us and the Fins at home.

The NFL odds makers have to be scratching their heads every week now. I know I am.

At this point, unless you're the niners or browns, your team can make the playoffs.

Parity is exciting. Great time for us to start a run after the bye.

Still a lot of football left to play. Some of those teams will find it and go on a run. I think that win yesterday by Pittsburgh will send them on a nice run.

Even though the play is ugly at times, I like that no teams are dominant minus KC. I like not knowing how the game is going to end....especially with all the come backs we have seen. I would take a little uglier play and competitve games rather than blow outs by a few teams.

Without a doubt.

Still a lot of football left to play. Some of those teams will find it and go on a run. I think that win yesterday by Pittsburgh will send them on a nice run.

I'm sure someone will go on a run, but that doesn't mean they will be a quality football team. You can still consider me less than impressed by the Steelers.

Rogers gone. Patriots are basically a 500 team, Cowboys and Raiders with much less pop than last year, Denver and Pitt mediocre. KC still tough at home but gave one away yesterday, Atlanta losing to us and the Fins at home.

The NFL odds makers have to be scratching their heads every week now. I know I am.

At this point, unless you're the niners or browns, your team can make the playoffs.

Parity is exciting. Great time for us to start a run after the bye.

I can't say Pitt is mediocre after they crushed KC yesterday.

Injuries have also had a huge factor in why allot of teams are around .500. For instance the Raiders who were favored to go deep in the playoffs are on a 4 game skid with an injured QB who came back too early. Tennesee is under performing without Mariota. Buffalo's passing game as anemic as it was is even worse now without its only true weapon in clay and no Mathews to spell him and Zay not being reliable. David Johnson really set back the cardinals who have since replaced him with Peterson. Bucs linebackers absence has turned their defense into swiss cheese.

The Jets and Bills have exceeded expectations while the dolphins and Patriots have been inconsistent. Steelers finally had a decent win KC struggled yesterday. Eagles look like the class of the NFC.

I am enjoying this season except for my pickems.

That narrative with the Raiders is false...Carr has looked downright terrible this year since the Redskin game and Amari Cooper is playing Waldo in Where's Waldo...the Raiders are 2-4 because they have been downright bad on offense most of the year except the Jets game and their defense isnt that good. Edited by matter2003

The Tuck Rule was an abomination to the game. If I were a raider fan I think i would have never turned on another NFL game.

Pats got another yesterday.

Tuck Rule: Growing up as a kid while the Bills were my favorite team, Gannon was my favorite player and Oakland always has been a cool team to me in general. I remember jumping in front of the TV when the fumble happened thinking OAK sealed up the win, only to see it reversed on the most BS call I've seen to date. I went to bed just utterly stunned and pretty sure I laid there for 30 minutes trying to recant how it was possible. (No real fan pain if it was the Bills dear god that wouldve killed)

In regards to yesterday my issue stems to the fact the reffing is not equitable across the board. The Jets absolutely got hosed on that call as would've BUF, CLE, or name another down club over the last bunch of years. I believe when lesser teams like the Jets or Bills score refs have almost a shock that the TD happened against a team like NE so they go the extra mile in their eyes that its the correct call. Things aren't equitable because if that's the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Chiefs, insert big name team thats successful its a TD without even a thought. Second I thought to overturn a call from the ruling on the field you have to have clear evidence that the ball was being fumble. I watched the replays and no one can say it there was any form of that.

These kind of calls drive me nuts because it really hurts the balance of the game and justifiably implies that the Patriots are being favored. Add in the fact the Pats actually maybe kinda could lose to the Jets if its 24-21 and they would be 3-3 and its a perfect storm of crap.

It's crappy all around, not sure if that's something to be gleeful about.

It just means i'll watch the Bills game and possibly not a second of anything else on a given weekend.

Used to be 5 or 6 games watched with interest.

It means if the Bills make the playoffs, there will be lots of discounting it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That narrative with the Raiders is false...Carr has looked downright terrible this year since the Redskin game and Amari Cooper is playing Waldo in Where's Waldo...the Raiders are 2-4 because they have been downright bad on offense most of the year except the Jets game and their defense isnt that good.

The Raiders remind me of GB the first half of last year. Everyone on their roster was misfiring from Rodgers to Nelson to Adams. They just needed time to realign themselves. The problem for Oakland is GB played a softer schedule and had the ability to lay an egg. Going 0-2 with Carr out and playing in the AFC West has exasperated the situation for the offense and how bad they looked. They frankly have to win the next two no questions asked to stay in the playoff race. A loss to either KC/BUF puts them really far down in tie breakers and record.

The Raiders remind me of GB the first half of last year. Everyone on their roster was misfiring from Rodgers to Nelson to Adams. They just needed time to realign themselves. The problem for Oakland is GB played a softer schedule and had the ability to lay an egg. Going 0-2 with Carr out and playing in the AFC West has exasperated the situation for the offense and how bad they looked. They frankly have to win the next two no questions asked to stay in the playoff race. A loss to either KC/BUF puts them really far down in tie breakers and record.

I don't see the Bills beating the Raiders even if they lose to KC this week on the TNF game.

Too much talent and only a matter of a time before they put it all together which is why I hate how our schedule sets up the next two weeks against desperate teams at home.

Every year the league is quite muddled before thanksgiving. I will say though that most year the top 4 team are apparent. This year there are no clear teams, maybe the Eagles and Cheifs but even those teams I do not trust. One thing that will soon come into play. Defense and running the ball. If the running game starts to click Buffalo certainly can make a playoff run.

I don't see the Bills beating the Raiders even if they lose to KC this week on the TNF game.

Too much talent and only a matter of a time before they put it all together which is why I hate how our schedule sets up the next two weeks against desperate teams at home.

I am going to the Raiders game and I am terrified because they have been so off on offense. I think win or loss against KC it is a tough matchup despite our defense being really good. The only saving grace if your superstitious is the Raiders poor record traveling across the country especially to Buffalo not that I really buy that argument anyway.

So much worry and fretting over the Bills, it's sad and concerning that you are worked up and stressed about a team you don't even follow. You should just kick back, put on NFL replay of the Pats /Jets and enjoy. Make sure you have plenty of personal lubricant available as well.

Tuck Rule: Growing up as a kid while the Bills were my favorite team, Gannon was my favorite player and Oakland always has been a cool team to me in general. I remember jumping in front of the TV when the fumble happened thinking OAK sealed up the win, only to see it reversed on the most BS call I've seen to date. I went to bed just utterly stunned and pretty sure I laid there for 30 minutes trying to recant how it was possible. (No real fan pain if it was the Bills dear god that wouldve killed)

In regards to yesterday my issue stems to the fact the reffing is not equitable across the board. The Jets absolutely got hosed on that call as would've BUF, CLE, or name another down club over the last bunch of years. I believe when lesser teams like the Jets or Bills score refs have almost a shock that the TD happened against a team like NE so they go the extra mile in their eyes that its the correct call. Things aren't equitable because if that's the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Chiefs, insert big name team thats successful its a TD without even a thought. Second I thought to overturn a call from the ruling on the field you have to have clear evidence that the ball was being fumble. I watched the replays and no one can say it there was any form of that.

These kind of calls drive me nuts because it really hurts the balance of the game and justifiably implies that the Patriots are being favored. Add in the fact the Pats actually maybe kinda could lose to the Jets if its 24-21 and they would be 3-3 and its a perfect storm of crap.

It made me nervous when it was announced that now every replay call comes straight from the league office. There was no doubt the tuck role was to job Al Davis. With the poor ratings the league is having this year for all their games does it surprise anyone the that the Patriots play Atlanta Sunday night? The difference in the Patriots winning or losing that game? Instead of being in sole possession of first place, the Patriots would be in sole possession of last place. Looking up at the Jets, dolphins, and Bills all after thoughts in the league. The Falcons have not been great they can call it a superbowl hang over and what better way to turn around the season than beating first place NE?