Why is Dareus not in on passing downs?

Like or hate him, the guy has proven to be a great interior pass rush DT. When he is consistently out on 3rd and long you can't say it is just the rotation.

The defense has played wonderfully so any criticism seems odd.

I just dont understand why coaches don't coach to a player's strengths. Let Dareus rush the passer. At least give him the chance to prove he doesn't belong before getting rid of him.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he can't run routes very well.

I think the bigger question is: why isn't he in on running downs? I want to see him coming out of the backfield.

Looks to me like they asked him to bulk up to help clog the running lanes and he's just not as explosive.

Maybe they should give him an after-dinner mint...

Keep in mind this is the same staff that chose 2 FBs over a young RB who started to look good this offseason, and are now shopping for a RB.

As much as I think the front office has mishandled the RB situation this season (both in roster selection and snap counts), I think it's very disingenuous to label Mike Tolbert as a FB.

Apparently Cedric Thornton is a better option than a guy making $20 million per season.

Go figure.

Y'know...if you were making $20m a year, and the rest of us here were destitute, I'm pretty sure we'd still all be better posters than you.

Because he can't run routes very well.

I think the bigger question is: why isn't he in on running downs? I want to see him coming out of the backfield.

Maybe they should give him an after-dinner mint...

Tom,

Go check your blood sugar. :lol:

From a technical Xs and Os perspective, I think the reason Dareus is not in on passing downs is that usually, by then, his fat ass is so winded he has trouble lifting the Gatorade bottle to his mouth, let alone rush the passer.

Makes sense really.

Like or hate him, the guy has proven to be a great interior pass rush DT. When he is consistently out on 3rd and long you can't say it is just the rotation.

The defense has played wonderfully so any criticism seems odd.

I just dont understand why coaches don't coach to a player's strengths. Let Dareus rush the passer. At least give him the chance to prove he doesn't belong before getting rid of him.

I searched google images for tub o goo. The result was a vat of slime from the original Batman movie and Dareus.

I don't see what you guys are seeing when it comes to effort on the field? Perhaps in practice or arrival for meetings, but I still see a guy that commands double teams the vast majority of the time he is on the field.

I fear McDermott has already formed opinions of players like Watkins, Darby, and Dareus. Maybe those opinions are accurate but his play on the field has been just as good as any other DT on the team. Watkins was by far the best weapon they had on offense. Gaines has proven to be a good player and better that Darby in this zone heavy scheme but is also in the last year of his contract unlike Darby was.

But I digress, I still don't see the lack of effort on the field and think he deserves more snaps when they are in the nickel and expect a pass based on formation or down/distance.