How Bills Treat This Bye Week Will Show Their Cards

corta765

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes get the feeling maybe they're not upgrading talent on offense because they're also ready to move on from Dennison. He was I think their 3rd or 4th choice?

Not a bad idea. What young fresh offensive coach would be out there, though?

In regards to "too good to pass" the Bills got a quality CB and 2nd rnd pick from Watkins a player who may not have been even resigned had he stayed here. At the time they had Boldin and Matthews was acquired thanks to Gaines addition and Darby being disposable at that point. So yea at the time it actually was a pretty solid deal when the WR corp was Matthews, Boldin, & Zay Jones which wasn't bad.

I do think if Beane had known that Matthews would get injured, Clay injured, and Boldin retired he may not make the deal, but hindsight is 20/20 and you couldn't have predicted all three of those things occurring.

And I agree I would be stunned for them to make a move for a bigger name guy. I think they are hinging that Matthews comes back by the Jets/Saints game and if they go 2-1 all is well etc...

The "not resigning" here thing is irrelevant to the 2017 season because Watkins was already under contract to play this year. The Bills had Sammy at zero cost for the entire 2017 season. When you already paid the guy to play here, why not get his last and only healthy year out of him? If they were committed to winning this year, they should/would have kept him for his his last year (2017).

Trading him was good for the 2018 season and very bad for the 2017 season so far.

Beane is directly responsible for the Bills' current shitsandwich at receiver at this point.

Half of the fan base (possibly more) predicted that Sammy Watkins would be the best receiver on the Bills - at the time the trade was made. That isn't hindsight. That is foresight. Something Beane clearly lacked in this situation. Now he is reaping what he has sown.

Any fan can make a plausible case that the Bills could have won the games they lost this year so far if they had at least one really good receiver on the roster - or the guy who was already supposed to be here playing for big contract money.

Now fans want Beane to go get somebody? Go fix what he broke. But don't spend any money doing it.

The "not resigning" here thing is irrelevant to the 2017 season because Watkins was already under contract to play this year. The Bills had Sammy at zero cost for the entire 2017 season. When you already paid the guy to play here, why not get his last and only healthy year out of him? If they were committed to winning this year, they should/would have kept him for his his last year (2017).

Trading him was good for the 2018 season and very bad for the 2017 season so far.

Beane is directly responsible for the Bills' current shitsandwich at receiver at this point.

Half of the fan base (possibly more) predicted that Sammy Watkins would be the best receiver on the Bills - at the time the trade was made. That isn't hindsight. That is foresight. Something Beane clearly lacked in this situation. Now he is reaping what he has sown.

Any fan can make a plausible case that the Bills could have won the games they lost this year so far if they had at least one really good receiver on the roster - or the guy who was already supposed to be here playing for big contract money.

Now fans want Beane to go get somebody? Go fix what he broke. But don't spend any money doing it.

At the time we had Zay, Matthews, and Boldin with a healthy streater who was actually looking like a solid roster contributor. It wasn't a great situation, but they wanted the 2018 2nd round pick more than the POSSIBLE 3rd round comp pick in 2019 - a full year later and probably 30 picks later. That's a significant difference.

We also got gaines in the trade, who's actually been pretty productive so far.

We have 8 million - and it carries over into 2018 as it stands now. The WRs available in free agency are not NFL caliber at this point. Trading picks is counter-productive to what we are trying to do. Wouldn't you rather have 8 million in 2018 cap space for free agents who are actually coveted players?

We also have a bunch of injuries so a lack of roster flexibility without releasing someone, or IRing someone.

The thing with 2018 is you are hinging that improvement is automatic regardless of anything else. The defense for as good as it had been may very possibly be with Kyle Williams and Dareus next season. The defense has gotten some breaks on turnovers which if they go a different way we could be 2-3 or even 1-4. My point is you just really don't know one year to the next because of how much can change and every other team/fanbase thinks the same thing.

A lot of 1BD from what I've read and believed saw the 2017 schedule and figured 5-11/6-10. If you looked at the 17 schedule vs 18 I would've thought 18 was more favorable for a playoff year, but now they have a shot. They got through the worst portion 3-2 (until KC/NE) with a schedule now that looks plausible to hit 10 wins which you need for playoffs. But they have to get some help or at least take a chance to get help even if it is in FA.

You're right - we have a DT and OT who don't play gobbling it up. You have to care about cap hits when your predecessor fouled it up so badly.

We added Percy harvin when our WR corps was hurt last year - that worked out really well. We gave him a million.

Was it your Million? NO

Did that million set the club back in any shape or form? NO

It's funny how much people get wound up about other peoples money that does not affect them at all.

Basically do nothing is your suggestion? The cap is so easily manageable in todays NFL.

Edited by Real McCoy

We have 8 million - and it carries over into 2018 as it stands now. The WRs available in free agency are not NFL caliber at this point. Trading picks is counter-productive to what we are trying to do. Wouldn't you rather have 8 million in 2018 cap space for free agents who are actually coveted players?

We also have a bunch of injuries so a lack of roster flexibility without releasing someone, or IRing someone.

No. they can figure out cap moves in the offseason. I'm not talking about FA WRs necessarily, more interested in a trade for a proven WR that is on a roster. Trading a pick for a proven player is hardly counter productive. However, the FO created this mess on their own. There are players that could be released, IRd etc to accommodate the move. It's not an issue. If they don't care about winning this year, the team will likely stand pat and not do anything to improve the offense.

At the time we had Zay, Matthews, and Boldin with a healthy streater who was actually looking like a solid roster contributor. It wasn't a great situation, but they wanted the 2018 2nd round pick more than the POSSIBLE 3rd round comp pick in 2019 - a full year later and probably 30 picks later. That's a significant difference.

We also got gaines in the trade, who's actually been pretty productive so far.

I understand why they said they did it. It was a good move for 2018.

But anyone paying attention knew it was very likely to be a very bad move for 2017. And you could say that ignoring all other receivers who were on the Bills because Tyrod had shown himself to be a far worse passer (his fault) when throwing to new receivers. So, if you wanted production out of the passing game you were taking a huge gamble dealing away his number one favorite receiver. You had to be hoping that the passing game would magically start clicking with Tyrod throwing to whoever. - That is like betting on something you already know is a losing bet beforehand.

Beane is eating his own feces right now. Hope he likes the taste and aroma.

The Bills have a pretty crucial period coming up with this bye week and then 3 games at home and playing the Jets. The opportunity is their for them to potentially go 3-1 and really give themselves a shot at a playoff berth.They also could lay an egg like they did this weekend and waste a good defense that did well enough despite some injuries.

Whether or not the Bills make any moves in the next two weeks will show how much they care short term about the playoffs or solely focused on the future. I say this because regardless of my opinion on Tyrod he is going to be throwing at this starting passing group: Z Jones, B Tate, & N Oleary. I don't care who the QB is or if you want Peterman that group is not remotely good enough. If Matthews and Clay were both healthy then yea there is enough in terms of options to be OK passing the ball. But they are not going to be playing and Clay is probably done for the year at this point.

To me you have to make a move or two; take a flier on Vincent Jackson and Gary Barnidge. They could flame out but at least it would show some urgency to not waste this years great defense. See if for a 3rd rnd pick you could get Travis Benjamin from LAC. If they sit their and do nothing I would find that incredibly disappointing in how they view the season. I and most fans are not asking for the Bills to sell the farm at this point and the process they have seems to be doing decent so far. At the same point even the most novice fan could look and say the Bills WR/TE corp is a mess and could use some chance of improving

yep add some street free agents who arent in the league for a good reason, that will show what again?

With managements moves hard not to think they are tanking the season for a QB in the first round draft.

However be careful what you wish for, there are broken down QBs everywhere, along with the Bradys and Rogers.You see what this years No. 1 pick did last night--Trubisky 12-25-1-128. If the Bills draft a QB next year and he throws for 128 yards, the screaming will be for Taylor or Peterman if they are still with the team.

The cards will be that we think Jones Holmes and K. Clay are good enough somehow and the Cheap way will cost us another season.

I'd love to believe some moves are the works but I'm guessing you're right based on how this new regime seems to think.

Because if anything the thinking right now at OBD is probably 'well if we can play .500 football for a month or so while these guys are out, we can likely make a push late in the season when they are all presumably healthy'.

There are multiple problems with this thinking though most notably by the time all these guys come back and are back into the swing of things the playoffs will likely be out of reach especially with 2nd half games against the Chiefs, Pats x2, etc.

The bigger issue though is even at 100% strength the WR depth chart is below average at best and there are no vertical threats to truly challenge opposing teams and be a serious playoff threat even if we somehow made it there.

Bottom line, if this team really thinks they can be a playoff team this year you have to make at least one move of significance in the next few days or week.