How losing Gilmore helped Bills build a winning secondary

YoloinOhio

That's what I believe his agent would be looking for him to get on the open market. Of course, if he keeps producing what he has been then they would probably have to readjust that thinking.

His current 53 yards per game average will put him in line with Quincy Enunwa and Cole Beasely cash.

Kidding. Sammy will have a better season than those guys because he's bound to do better with Goff than he has been so far.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bills fans, we are loving that Gilmore has been awful, but I caution thee.............

It's still A VERY LONG season and we have seen the Pats struggle out of the gate a few times only to be the best team in the NFL by the end of the season.

And on the flip side, we have seen the Bills get off to fast starts only to fall flat on their faces every time.

But for the first time in ages, I am cautiously optimistic.

Also, for me, it's on to the Bengals. That's it, that's ALL I care about right now.

Pro Football Focus' grading has also not been friendly to Gilmore this season. They rank him 71st among NFL cornerbacks. The Bills have two cornerbacks (White No. 5 and Gaines No. 18) in the top 20 of PFF's grading, while Poyer is No. 8 among safeties and Hyde is No. 34.

How is Hyde 34? Wow?

The Pats* Defense looked better last night, although they looked very beatable towards the end of the game and the Bucs couldn't capitalize. That being said, Glimore did not look good when they switched to zone D. He was late to the ball and on a few occasions tried to tackle with his shoulder pads instead of wrapping up and gave up extra yards because of it. I'm not piling on, but it did reinforce the feeling that he is not a good fit for the Bills current D.

The Pats* Defense looked better last night, although they looked very beatable towards the end of the game and the Bucs couldn't capitalize. That being said, Glimore did not look good when they switched to zone D. He was late to the ball and on a few occasions tried to tackle with his shoulder pads instead of wrapping up and gave up extra yards because of it. I'm not piling on, but it did reinforce the feeling that he is not a good fit for the Bills current D.

I am sure the pats feel the same way. They went out and spent big bucks on a man cover corner; ideally, they don't want to him to play zone.

Gilmore though is who he is. He's going to play really

Tight man coverage, have some success doing it but also get flagged some for it, and be prone to communication issues.

That being said, Glimore did not look good when they switched to zone D. He was late to the ball and on a few occasions tried to tackle with his shoulder pads instead of wrapping up and gave up extra yards because of it. I'm not piling on, but it did reinforce the feeling that he is not a good fit for the Bills current D.

I listened to a bit of the game on the radio last night and said exactly this.

The Pats didn't have time to "fix" their D, so they ran a zone last night. Gilmore is so bad at zone that they had him match up man to man w Evans.

Not shocked we didn't resign him (especially at that number :beer:)

I listened to a bit of the game on the radio last night and said exactly this.

On a separate note, not sure if you heard Romo last night when you were listening, but I really appreciated his energy and the insight he provided. He was pretty even in his analysis and not one sided, like many of the commentators on Pats* games.

Gilmore doesn't seem very smart. Reading what's wrong with the secondary, it's blown assignments and not necessarily getting beat.

He went to Partiot Lane and not Patriot Way by mistake

On a separate note, not sure if you heard Romo last night when you were listening, but I really appreciated his energy and the insight he provided. He was pretty even in his analysis and not one sided, like many of the commentators on Pats* games.

I only watched a little bit of the game.

I was wondering who they were. I was not impressed.

I actually switched from NFLN to local to TV to see if I would get better game announcers.

I like Romo - insightful, funny and seems to be pretty even. I also believe him when he calls out a player, scheme, play that "should have been made". Easy to see why the guy had a good NFL career as an undrafted QB - his smarts!

Gilmore always seemed like a slow starter. Last season was a good example. He wasn't great through the first few games but picked it up as the season went on. Perhaps that'll happen up in New England for him.

I always like Gilmore but the more I watched the more it seemed like he had a hard time taking ownership for bad plays or for being out of position. I'm not sure if he doesn't communicate/listen well and get himself in the correct spots pre-snap but it got pretty old to see him get beat and then turn around like, "Where was my help? Who screwed this up? Wasn't me!" Other than that he's still a decent player. Good athlete, studies his opponents, etc. Just hate that he wound up in NE.

This McBean guy might be pretty smart

It's really not a "McBean" thing. It's a long standing Bills pay hierarchy that several GMs have operated under and apparently shared. Not really new. 2nd contract players at CB are overpaid relative to their value. Unless it's a true game changer a la Peterson , Revis ( in his prime) Talib etc they just aren't worth the $$. So you draft one high and keep them at a reasonable cost over five years. Then you move on. You pay QBs , LTs , pass rushers , offensive stars and dominating D linemen. Defensive rule changes have contributed to this among other things. If you think it started with Bean you are mistaken.

Not smart to overpay Watkins based on the overall strength of our receivers either.

That is debateable. Is a market rate deal for a top WR overpaying? It's a passing league despite what you may want to believe. We will see if the trade was a good one or not. The Bills don't have a lot of highly paid stars. They can afford some market rate deals for offensive players.

"TRUST THE PROCESS" -- McBeanes 2017

That is debateable. Is a market rate deal for a top WR overpaying? It's a passing league despite what you may want to believe. We will see if the trade was a good one or not. The Bills don't have a lot of highly paid stars. They can afford some market rate deals for offensive players.

It's really not a "McBean" thing. It's a long standing Bills pay hierarchy that several GMs have operated under and apparently shared. Not really new. 2nd contract players at CB are overpaid relative to their value. Unless it's a true game changer a la Peterson , Revis ( in his prime) Talib etc they just aren't worth the $$. So you draft one high and keep them at a reasonable cost over five years. Then you move on. You pay QBs , LTs , pass rushers , offensive stars and dominating D linemen. Defensive rule changes have contributed to this among other things. If you think it started with Bean you are mistaken.

mcbeans are executing though... watkins (who would have been cap buster at y/e) , darby (don't need m to m corners), gilmore (pfttt..) , out you go

"TRUST THE PROCESS" -- McBeanes 2017

mcbeans are executing though... watkins (who would have been cap buster at y/e) , darby (don't need m to m corners), gilmore (pfttt..) , out you go

A market rate WR is hardly a cap buster. Do you even know what the cap is ? It's higher than it was in 1995 you know.

Sammy specifically stated he was going to change the game. That isnt market rate. Sammy isnt a top wr.