McD is Marrone with a Better Attitude...That's Good.

Lots of discussion on McDermott and how he coaches. Some observations:

He gets a bad rap about being overly "conservative." Yet, he has gone for it on 4th and 1 a couple of times already in his short career, is quick with the challenge flag in certain instances, and doesn't do anything I consider "gutless."

Yes, McD sometimes plays for FG's and rides the defense. But this defense and kicker deserve that kind of respect, at this point. Similar to how Marrone would play in 2014, ride the defense, go for a few big plays, and rely on your team strengths. That got us to 9 wins, if you recall, and would've been more without absolute trash at QB for 4 games. Now TT is a decent QB, and is capable of making plays all by himself. Coupled with a "conservative," a few big third downs a game means we win.

His attitude is completely different from Marrone's and that's a good thing too. Marrone was sour and a little too much of a hard ass. McD takes a more palatble approach to the same style of coaching.

Bottom line, he's got this team in a great spot a quarter way through the year. And there's even more to come, I'm sure.

Other than being a "disciplinarian" I don't think there are many similarities. McD is looking like a modern styled disciplinarian coach. Modern players don't respond to old school drill sergeant style coaches anymore. But players coaches have their own pitfalls as we just saw with Rex. McD demands accountability and is building a culture. But he doesn't do so in a heavy handed manner. I think his style and command of the team works well esp for a team coming off of 2 years of Rex.

He just punted instead of kicking a 60 yarder... cost them the game

60 yarder in the meadowlands is not a sure thing, can't fault him on that call. Your defense is playing good give them a shot to give you the ball back with good field position.