Ejections and suspensions

Dragonborn10

I didn't see the game live. The youtube link above has been taken down, but I could see the twitter one. The hit is absolutely brutal no doubt.

I'm not saying this is the case here but many times I get frustrated when a player gets an unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit to the head but the player who is hit has started falling down. The tackler would have a normal hit in the body but due to the player falling he ends up with a high hit.

Again, not saying this is the case here. This game moves so fast sometimes I think high hits are accidental, other times they are blatantly wrong.

There was no reason for the defender to lead with the crown of his helmet, aiming for the chest or not.

That type of stupidity is dangerous for both the tackler (remember Kevin Everett?) and the ball carrier.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no reason for the defender to lead with the crown of his helmet, aiming for the chest or not.

That type of stupidity is dangerous for both the tackler (remember Kevin Everett?) and the ball carrier.

Exactly. That's why they teach "heads up" tackling in youth football now. Dummies leading with their heads like that are risking serious injury not just to their target, but themselves too.

Talk is cheap, and should never get players out of punishment. "But I didn't mean it" didn't work when we were 5 years old, and it shouldn't work now. Same schtick from Landry last year after ending AW's season. Do the crime, do the time.

I love the previously suggested "out until the guy you hurt is back" idea. That would actually solve the problem.

Overall, I agree with your post. That guy should have been ejected and suspended. But sometimes in football, you have a split second to decided something and it looks a million times worse in slow motion. Sometimes, your intent isnt to hurt a guy but you just cant stop.

“I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television, his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re running the game! They’re ruining the game. That’s what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game."

I guess those folks stopped watching and now it's just us wimps who would rather not see guys carted of the field.

Overall, I agree with your post. That guy should have been ejected and suspended. But sometimes in football, you have a split second to decided something and it looks a million times worse in slow motion. Sometimes, your intent isnt to hurt a guy but you just cant stop.

I would add two things make that hit look worse than most: the mouthpiece flying out, and the almost immediately reaction from other players waving in help from the sidelines, the latter of which twists my stomach the most.

I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television, his wife is sitting at home, shes so proud of him. Theyre running the game! Theyre ruining the game. Thats what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game."

I guess those folks stopped watching and now it's just us wimps who would rather not see guys carted of the field.

Yeah. I understand a lot of badasses out there got their bell rung many times while playing with Al Bundy at Polk High, but most of us would rather not watch these guys actually try to kill each other or themselves.

I would add two things make that hit look worse than most: the mouthpiece flying out, and the almost immediately reaction from other players waving in help from the sidelines, the latter of which twists my stomach the most.

Yeah, the mouthpiece flying out and him looking knocked out like a boxer looked awful.

I do think the Bears guy was upset after the fact. He still should have been kicked out and be suspended.

These types of hits should be reviewable like ok college for targeting. I don't understand why the NFL hasn't adopted the rule yet. It's gonna happen at some point

Because it is useless with the difficulty of doing it with opposition from NFLPA,

You would think at least they would be neutral but they aren't and favor the attacker.

College use is so inconsistent that it makes it almost worse.

1) After the play is over, the DT is shoved by the OT, causing him to fall and minimally bump the helmet of the QB on the field. Ejection and suspension for the DT after we watch this unfold for 5 minutes on replay.

2) Vulnerable WR is hit in the helmet clearly by the DB on an incomplete pass, knocks his helmet off requiring the WR to have to leave the game. We watch 5 minutes again of replay and nothing is done.

The announcers also add to it by stalling on their comments until the call is made and then praising how the system again perfectly works.

Because it is useless with the difficulty of doing it with opposition from NFLPA,

You would think at least they would be neutral but they aren't and favor the attacker.

I've not heard that the NFLPA has opposed video review of dirty hits. Is that true?

I didn't see the game live. The youtube link above has been taken down, but I could see the twitter one. The hit is absolutely brutal no doubt.

I'm not saying this is the case here but many times I get frustrated when a player gets an unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit to the head but the player who is hit has started falling down. The tackler would have a normal hit in the body but due to the player falling he ends up with a high hit.

Again, not saying this is the case here. This game moves so fast sometimes I think high hits are accidental, other times they are blatantly wrong.

youtube link works in new window.

And it was a player who led with helmet. I agree about players being suspended w/o pay for hits like that.

I mean the mouthpiece really was the last straw, not the tooth, that won't give you nightmares, but that mouthpiece...

There is no targeting rule in the NFL. I am not ok with refs dropping flags because of the result, not the action. I've seen it happen in the past I believe it was Austin Collie. The ref clearly threw a flag when he saw how hurt Adams was. Now I guarantee you Arizona wishes they had Trevathon on there defense when Dez Bryant in a similar play fought for 8 yards and carried the whole Arizona defense in a scrum into the endzone.

I do agree the only solution to helmet to helmet hits and the growing CTE issue that is plaguing football. Take the plastic off shoulder pads and helmets. Use the head gear that players wear in 7 on 7 tournaments and use the shell style shoulder pads. When you have no protection to your face and head the style will be different.

There is no targeting rule in the NFL. I am not ok with refs dropping flags because of the result, not the action. I've seen it happen in the past I believe it was Austin Collie. The ref clearly threw a flag when he saw how hurt Adams was. Now I guarantee you Arizona wishes they had Trevathon on there defense when Dez Bryant in a similar play fought for 8 yards and carried the whole Arizona defense in a scrum into the endzone.

I do agree the only solution to helmet to helmet hits and the growing CTE issue that is plaguing football. Take the plastic off shoulder pads and helmets. Use the head gear that players wear in 7 on 7 tournaments and use the shell style shoulder pads. When you have no protection to your face and head the style will be different.

No helmets and no shoulder pads, they will have to tackle rugby style. Big injuries will actually be eliminated. CTE injuries will be eliminated.

No helmets and no shoulder pads, they will have to tackle rugby style. Big injuries will actually be eliminated. CTE injuries will be eliminated.

I'd go with greatly reduced but yea even keeping the shoulder pads gives them something to hit you in the head with.