Concerning rushing stat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a long season - if teams want to put 8 in the box then play action should be there all game long. Just need to make them pay on first down. There are numerous ways to get 5 yards on first down without a handoff. Clay, O'Leary, Thomas should be used in two and three TE sets that have run/pass options for TT. Getting Dimarco the ball in the flats. Motioning Shady out of the backfield to see if they are in man coverage against a LB.

It seems counter-intuitive, but according to NextGen stats McCoy isn't seeing eight men stacked in the box that often. They have about thirty running backs ahead of LM, by percentage of "a rusher seeing eight or more defenders in the box against them". Of course all offense numbers by the Bills are skewed by the Carolina debacle, and the Panther's front seven didn't need that much help.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

I dont understand totally changing up a scheme that was very effective. Our guys up front were maulers last year, very entertaining to watch, especially pulling guards.

This is where the arrogance of coaches does them in. Think about how Rex took the 4th ranked D and completely changed it for no reason other than to do it his way and sank the unit to the bottom of the ocean. Now we have a run scheme that was the best run game in the NFL and Dennison comes in and over complicates it (according to the players) and completely changes it.

I don't even understand why, he isn't going to improve on the #1 spot, can only go down from there. He should have build around the run game schemes we had and worked on integrating an improved passing attack to go with it. Instead, the passing game seems to be making positive strides while he's completely broken the run game.

Its not like Dennison is the pinnacle of offensive success in the NFL anyway, he should be looking at what is so effective and INCORPORATING that into his own schemes and plays to IMPROVE his own philosophy and systems.

Carolina with a healthy Kueckly and Davis are stingy. Denver blanked Elliot and the jets front is the teams stength.

Coaches coach to their stregnths which is the reason for their hires. Buffalo ran alot of zone blocking. Not alot of oitside zone. Once it clicks and the line and McCoy start getting in sync there isnt a better style to run Mccoy. He has crazy vision. Buffalo faced 2 very good run defenses. This week will be a better accessmemt of the team and scheme when it comes to running. Imo the only thing that stops Mccoy running this weekend is ATLs offense.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2017 at 8:04 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn't know much about him prior to him jointing the Bills other than his name. It was always associated with under performing from what I was hearing. Now I'm seeing it first hand.

The online has underperformed all season. This is the same team that was #1 in rushing for the past 2 years. The blocking scheme doesn't fit the talent.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dragonborn10 said:

Two great defenses and a very good one

New scheme

No Watkins

Glenn injury

It's a long season - if teams want to put 8 in the box then play action should be there all game long. Just need to make them pay on first down. There are numerous ways to get 5 yards on first down without a handoff. Clay, O'Leary, Thomas should be used in two and three TE sets that have run/pass options for TT. Getting Dimarco the ball in the flats. Motioning Shady out of the backfield to see if they are in man coverage against a LB.

What I don't like about this roster, we don't have a deep threat to make them pay for putiin 8 in the box. They don't respext our WRs that's why we get so much pressure.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:25 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Not Jonathan Williams. He used to be a Bill, is now on another team's practice squad, and thus must be destined for glory.

He would a played better than Tolbert. 

On 9/28/2017 at 7:58 AM, 4_kidd_4 said:

I dont understand totally changing up a scheme that was very effective. Our guys up front were maulers last year, very entertaining to watch, especially pulling guards.

as much as he was maligned, it might have something to do with Aaron Kromer no longer coaching them.

21 hours ago, Foxx said:

as much as he was maligned, it might have something to do with Aaron Kromer no longer coaching them.

Not only Kromer but his assistant Pat Meyer who filled in why Kromer was suspended.

It is clear that Coach McD thought the offense scheme the Bills ran was limited and would not get them into playoffs so he brought in a new OC which ran a different scheme.

21 hours ago, Foxx said:

Edited by Limeaid
Software error. Did not update post so I tried reposting.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dragonborn10 said:

Two great defenses and a very good one

New scheme

No Watkins

Glenn injury

Running scheme did not seem to be affected when Lamey Watkins was on bench last year.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Not worried at all. We played two of the best run defenses in a row. Atlanta is not as good against the run.

The day you raise the red flag, we should all worry!

we are halfway through the season and a strength has disappeared from last year. I think it’s a fair concern in evaluating the first half. When a predicated area of concern turns around and actually struggles — that’s exactly the type of spot we should be watching

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not only Kromer but his assistant Pat Meyer who filled in why Kromer was suspended.

It is clear that Coach McD thought the offense scheme the Bills ran was limited and would not get them into playoffs so he brought in a new OC which ran a different scheme.

Or he just didn’t want to work with those guys. Or those guys didn’t want to work with him. Or he was just really into fresh blood in the building and this was the best scheme available when hiring. 

But yea... I wanted marrone to hire kromer when it was clear our line was struggling and he was on his way out in Chicago. Roman was also on my list of potential guys to bump out Hackett. I think Roman is possibly the best OL schemer, and kromer is the best OL technique coach in the league in my book. It’s no shock we did exceptionally well with the pair 

The decline of the running game is from a change in offensive philosophy and an error in thinking, IMO.

Last year's offense was designed to run vs all fronts. There was a lot of variety in run blocking schemes and running concepts, extra OL formations, lots of available runners.

This year, there is more emphasis on having variety in the passing game. This should help late in games when trailing. The emphasis on "returning to what worked" to fix the running game is a mistake, IMO. Last year's offense is gone. They don't have the variety of running game concepts or the practice running them and they aren't going to install them mid season, even if Dennison and his staff understood and believed in them the way the previous one did.

They need to try and pass to open things up, like this offense is designed to do, or they will continue to struggle. With Benjamin, their receivers are perfectly capable and Tyrod is having a good season. Give them a chance.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

There is some interesting stats here.  Football Outsiders has Buffalo ranked 24th in run blocking and 31st in pass pro.  They note that while they try to eliminate their impact for these rankings, the abilities of the RB and QB do have some effect on them. 

There is some interesting stats here.  Football Outsiders has Buffalo ranked 24th in run blocking and 31st in pass pro.  They note that while they try to eliminate their impact for these rankings, the abilities of the RB and QB do have some effect on them.  Those are bleak numbers any way you slice it. 

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

There is some interesting stats here.  Football Outsiders has Buffalo ranked 24th in run blocking and 31st in pass pro.  They note that while they try to eliminate their impact for these rankings, the abilities of the RB and QB do have some effect on them. 

There is some interesting stats here.  Football Outsiders has Buffalo ranked 24th in run blocking and 31st in pass pro.  They note that while they try to eliminate their impact for these rankings, the abilities of the RB and QB do have some effect on them.  Those are bleak numbers any way you slice it. 

Shhhhhh.... We don't want to let people know that its not all Tyrods fault.  That would make the world explode.  We need to keep on believing that we somehow have a top 5 oline with all these scrubs. We also need to keep on believing that a  real QB would do such a good job masking one of the worst Olines in the league that it would make them into one of the best.

Edited by Scott7975

11 minutes ago, Sweats said:

How's this for disturbing news............it's no big secret that we're running the ball every week and every team knows it.

Shut down the run and force ole TT to lob it down the field to our pitiful WR's.

Shocking, i know.

This might be shocking to you but ALL teams run the ball every week and every teams knows it.