What Would Jack Kemp Do?

Lots of Bills-related stories surrounding recent NFL events. Here's another. I've always admired Jack Kemp, both for his football career and and after. Some of this "ancient history" may be unfamiliar to younger Bills fans. I think it prompts the questions: What exactly are you protesting, and what exactly will you accomplish by it?

"The 1964 American Football League All-Star Game was scheduled to be held in New Orleans in January, 1965. Kemp and team-mates Ernie Warlick and Cookie Gilchrist were members of the Eastern Division team. When they arrived at the New Orleans airport, Gilchrist and Warlick hailed a nearby cab. The cabbie told Gilchrist: “You have to take a colored cab”, to which Cookie replied “I don’t care what color it is, we just want a cab!” The driver explained that they had to wait for a cab used only for black patrons. He peered out at Kemp, though, and said “I’ll take you.” Kemp replied that if the cab was too good for his friends, it wasn’t good enough for him.

After similar treatment of the black players at their hotel and other Big Easy establishments, Kemp joined with the rest of the white players on the squad to support the black players in their boycott of the city. In an early civil rights stand, the players held out and the game was moved to Houston."

https://spectator.org/boycott-the-nfl/

Edited by Bleed Bills Blue

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good story

When Buffalo (UB) Declined the 1958 Tangerine Bowl to Protest Racism
But not long after the Bulls agreed to play, Tangerine Bowl officials informed Buffalo that the local school district, which operated the host stadium in Orlando, Fla., banned integrated games.
The players were left to decide whether to play without Evans and Mike Wilson — the two African-Americans on the team.

Another good story

When Buffalo (UB) Declined the 1958 Tangerine Bowl to Protest Racism

But not long after the Bulls agreed to play, Tangerine Bowl officials informed Buffalo that the local school district, which operated the host stadium in Orlando, Fla., banned integrated games.

The players were left to decide whether to play without Evans and Mike Wilson the two African-Americans on the team.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/sports/ncaafootball/16buffalo.html?mcubz=1

The board righties called. Said this is different now. Nobody back then sided with the segregationists. They didn't exist.

SOUTHERN Democrats.

Who would be repubs today. Dems were fracturing... On Civil rights. Then DixieCrats, they Found the Repubs. Ideology is flipped flopped.

Ideology evolves, names stay the same. Lincoln was a repub, a federalist.

Thank you. That is such a garbage, lazy, disingenuous argument most of the time it is used like that.

SOUTHERN Democrats.

Who would be repubs today. Dems were fracturing... On Civil rights. Then DixieCrats, they Found the Repubs. Ideology is flipped flopped.

Ideology evolves, names stay the same. Lincoln was a repub, a federalist.

Yup. The Southern Strategy

Just not an honest, fair one.

Are you saying George Wallace would have been a Democrat is he were a politician today?

"If any demonstrator lays down in front of my car, it will be the last car he lays down in front of." That guy?

I'll take your lead in as a rejection of the olive branch and my offer of a return to civility?

To your second paragraph: I don't remember mentioning George Wallace. I think you're the first to bring him up. Is it your assertion that someone espousing his views would be welcomed as a representative of the Republican Party?

My assertion is that the narrative of a migration of racists into the Republican Party over civil rights is historically inaccurate.