What about McDermott on Game Day?

cage

Just three games in, but what do you think about McDermott's performance on game day? A big component of several key losses over the years, across multiple head coaches has been the inability to perform on game day; clock management, good use of challenges, use of time outs, ability to make adjustments on offense and defense...

I think so far he's looking good in all those areas.

1) they've had TOs left as needed at the end of half/games, ex if Zay Jones catches the pass at the end of the game last week, they still had a TO to stop the clock

2) good challenge on the catch that was aided by the ground yesterday

3) great clock management on very efficient drive for FG as half expired yesterday

4) good 2nd half offensive adjustments to give TT more time to throw

Do we finally have a coach that isn't a boat anchor on Sundays?

Edited by cage

Just three games in and what do you think about McDermott's performance on game day? A big component of several key losses over the years, with multiple coaches has been the inability to perform on game day; clock management, good use of challenges, use of time outs, ability to make adjustments on offense and defense...

I think so far he's looking good in all those areas.

1) they've had TOs left as needed at the end of half/games, ex if Zay Jones catches the pass at the end of the game last week, they still had a TO to stop the clock

2) good challenge on the catch that was aided by the ground yesterday

3) great clock management on very efficient drive for FG as half expired yesterday

4) good 2nd half offensive adjustments to give TT more time to throw

Do we finally have a coach that isn't a boat anchor on Sundays?

1) His clock management could still use some improvement.

2) He's got his players buying in to the process and culture change

3) He's got his players prepared on game day

4) They are installing good game plans vs their opponents

5) They are outcoaching the opposing coaches and coordinators by making the more effective 2nd half adjustments. So far every game we've made the better 2nd half adjustments on both offense and defense

Edited by Magox

1) His clock management could still use some improvement.

2) He's got his players buying in to the process and culture change

3) He's got his players prepared on game day

4) They are installing good game plans vs their opponents

5) They are outcoaching the opposing coaches and coordinators by making the more effective 2nd half adjustments. So far every game so far we've made the better 2nd half adjustments on both offense and defense

2-5 have been absent for a looooong time. And 1, while not perfect, has not been awful. He can fix that.

2-5 have been absent for a looooong time. And 1, while not perfect, has not been awful. He can fix that.

Agree - and he seems the type who will always actually look to improve himself. Unlike his predecessor who will just say "I know what happened" while casting accountability anywhere but where it should be.

Second week in a row he's made some very good defensive adjustments at halftime.

Second week in a row he's mismanaged the clock at the end of the first half.

And he certainly has those who care (I'm looking at you, Dareus), buying in and it's infectious.

Second week in a row he's made some very good defensive adjustments at halftime.

And he certainly has those who care (I'm looking at you, Dareus), buying in and it's infectious.

Can you explain. The only thing I can think of is the 2nd or 3rd play prior to the FG where the clock ran instead of calling a TO.

They kicked the FG leaving 1 second left on the half.

Unrelated, happy they did an onside kick with that 1 second remaining on the half. Rex would have kicked off like normal thinking he didn't need to worry about a return because he's never wrong.

I don't understand how he mis-managed clock at the end of half? Denver scores FG with 0:42 left. They run a five play 38yd drive in 0:38 to kick a FG w/ 0:01 left on the clock.

Might have won a few more games if Rex, Gailey, Williams, Jauron, Marrone or Mularkey could have done that a few times.... man, I can't believe there's been six of these guys... deep exhale!

Splitting hairs over "clock management" is dumb. The only reason people still treat it as an issue is because Rich Gannon and Jeremy White said something about it. You don't always want to burn your time outs early. In fact sometimes you are better off having 20 seconds and two time outs left instead of 45 seconds and no time outs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Splitting hairs over "clock management" is dumb. The only reason people still treat it as an issue is because Rich Gannon and Jeremy White said something about it. You don't always want to burn your time outs early. In fact sometimes you are better off having 20 seconds and two time outs left instead of 45 seconds and no time outs.

Exactly! He took some heat last week against Panthers about not calling TO earlier near the end of the game. However, if Jones makes that catch, they still had a TO w/ 14 sec to go with 1st and goal from the 3 yard line. That's 2-3 realistic shots into the end zone. If they used that TO earlier, then the clock could have run out while they scrambled to spike the ball... or even more Rex-like, they get a false start penalty on the attempted spike and have a 10sec run-off to end the game.

Edited by cage

The best thing I see is that EVERY player is playing well, which means the coaching is 100x better. In the last few years, the talented players were winning games, and the scrubs were deeply exposed. You don't see this as much with this team. McDermott is a guy whose process I can trust.

They might still be a 7 win team, but it looks like a 7 win team with the right coach to build something special.

I expect a tough week vs Atlanta. The Falcons are the best team in the NFL.

Edited by BeginnersMind

5) They are outcoaching the opposing coaches and coordinators by making the more effective 2nd half adjustments. So far every game we've made the better 2nd half adjustments on both offense and defense

I would say your last point is the most crucial. I haven't seen a bills coach who could adjust in a long time.