Tyrod QBR

No one said that

But you are saying that. If you are going to judge Tyrod as a passer based on his QB rating then you have to be prepared to say that he's a better passer than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino (TT's career QB rating is better than both!)

Remember the "No Punt" game back in 1992 against the 49ers? Kelly threw for over 400 yards and 3 TDs. He also had a 126 QB rating that game. Would anyone argue that TT had a better passing performance yesterday? I would hope not. But through the lens of QB ratings those two games are equal. See how silly this gets?

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense gave the offense the ball with a very short field on almost every drive we scored on. And 4 of those scores were Hauska field goals. 3 of which were very long field goals where the offense had a 3 and out or very short drive. Didn't help the kicker there, but he came through anyways. There were a ton of 3 and outs in general, as usual.

Tyrod did what he does well when we win, and that's great. But per usual, among other weaknesses, I've seen nothing to show that he can take us on a two minute drive and read/pick apart a defense to tie or win a game. In my HUMBLE opinion, with this good of a defense (if they keep playing this way), that will take us to another 7-9 maybe 8-8 finish.

That's completely disingenuous. In the fourth quarter, the Bills coaches made a conscious decision to stop trying to pass the ball, and just run out the clock. (Personally, I think it is a lousy strategy, but it worked yesterday.) You aren't really going to blame Tyrod for settling for FGs on those drives, are you? Likewise, it's pretty hard to blame Tyrod for failing to throw for 300 yards when the Bills spent a quarter of the game trying to just milk the clock.

Oh, and it's hilarious that Tyrod critics are now deducting points for YAC, when all offseason his lack of YAC was cited as evidence of his inaccuracy.

One of the problems is that the Bills offense isnt set up for 300 yard passing games for a number of reasons. When Tyrod has a good game, people arent happy because it isnt 300 yards and 3 TD's. The Oline is inconsistent in pass protection so until that changes Taylor will not be sitting in the pocket letting his WR's get down field. People who only grade QB's by how many 300 yard games they have are people who dont know what they are talking about.

Just speaking for myself, but I'm not cheering for the stat line. I'm cheering for the wins. Today was a good win. If Tyrod can do this to get us to a 10-6 finish, I'll be really impressed. He hasn't been able to do it so far. Last week the D had a performance vs Carolina that most teams don't see from their defense all season. That was squandered by an inept offense led by T. Taylor. I'm pumped we beat a good team like the Broncos, but my point is mainly that it was because of the D. If the D keeps playing this way all year, there's no reason we shouldn't be at least 10-6 if Tyrod is who you say he is.

But you are saying that. If you are going to judge Tyrod as a passer based on his QB rating then you have to be prepared to say that he's a better passer than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino (TT's career QB rating is better than both!)

Remember the "No Punt" game back in 1992 against the 49ers? Kelly threw for over 400 yards and 3 TDs. He also had a 126 QB rating that game. Would anyone argue that TT had a better passing performance yesterday? I would hope not. But through the lens of QB ratings those two games are equal. See how silly this gets?

^ Good point.

The game has changed a lot. You can't compare the 80s with now. Passer ratings have gone up across the board.

On a case-by-case basis, passer rating will occasionally show results that don't make sense with what you see on the film. But over time there isn't a better official stat than passer rating. It correlates very well with QB performance. The larger the sample, the better it correlates.

I like DVOA better though. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see where Tyrod stands on that. And I think it's impossible to cheat DVOA. Anything that other stats miss, that one will find. Tyrod ranked 19th in 2016 and he was 19th after week 2. By the end of the year I'd like to see him hovering around 12th to feel comfortable with him moving forward. DVOA counts sacks but doesn't count scrambles so you can't say his rushing ability inflates his DVOA. On the contrary, QBs like Tyrod will have a lower DVOA than they probably should.

If you find a post where I say Tyrod Taylor is a better passer than Dan Marino I will give you my 401k.

I'm saying that Tyrod has been an efficient QB.

That's completely disingenuous. In the fourth quarter, the Bills coaches made a conscious decision to stop trying to pass the ball, and just run out the clock. (Personally, I think it is a lousy strategy, but it worked yesterday.) You aren't really going to blame Tyrod for settling for FGs on those drives, are you? Likewise, it's pretty hard to blame Tyrod for failing to throw for 300 yards when the Bills spent a quarter of the game trying to just milk the clock.

Oh, and it's hilarious that Tyrod critics are now deducting points for YAC, when all offseason his lack of YAC was cited as evidence of his inaccuracy.

That is a good point about at least the last couple of drives. They were definitely sitting on it then. I'm not looking for a big yardage stat line as an indicator of good QB play. I'm looking to see the type of tight throws and great reads get made that win most NFL games and on a more consistent basis. I think that's a big key in games where the D isn't as dominant as they have been the last 2 weeks and you're playing really good offensive opponents.

What I'm pointing out with the YAC is that many of the short throws that become gainers are mainly because of the player catching the ball and the blocking out in front. They aren't all great plays by the QB. They are throws every NFL QB should make. Example: the two check downs to Shady on the drive to end the half that set up the field goal. Shady made great plays on both of them, even though Tyrod almost airmailed the second one. Shady had to make a great catch on what should have been on a routine throw. Also, I'm not whoever you're talking about with the offseason YAC arguments so... I dunno.

That 2nd quarter ending drive is also on the Broncos D more than anyone for playing so soft. But yes, good job by Tyrod to make the read for the check down when it's there. We should always be trying to put the ball in Shady's hands when he has any space, so that was a good decision.

How quickly we forget how pathetic he was against Carolina. He is what he is, a marginal QB. People need to stop getting so high after a decent performance. We aren't winning playoff games with Tyrod at QB, it's pretty simple.

I love posts like this it makes it easy to find when exactly the opposite occurs.

What's weird is all these numbers place Tyrod in the top 5-10 QB's statistically and yet we all agree we should move on from him.

Strange world.

No, actually, we don't agree that we need to move on from Tyrod, and there is every possibility that the Bills will not trade up for a QB in the 2018 draft and that Tyrod will be the Bills' starter next year.

Tyrod had a great day yesterday no doubt. That said I still think he is a more athletic Rob Johnson. He doesn't throw on time. I really think he is too worried about throwing INTs. If you are going to only throw 20 passes a game, then yeah, INTs are a big problem. I guess my point is stop worrying about the stat line and start worrying about winning the game. Which he did a good job of this game.

I'm not a qb guru, but we have 13 more games with Taylor (barring any injuries), not all the games are going to be rated 156%, let's give him credit behind that ol, have to admit he has a winning record despite the bad defensive play the last two years. Since he is the Bill's qb, I;m behind Taylor 100%, On to Atlanta, GO BILLS

This is really good insight here. I've always thought he literally has trouble seeing the field over the line. Can't say I was overly impressed with Tyrod's performance today. He took care of the ball well like he always does, but still had a number of awful throws, most of his yards came on simple check down and short passes that ended up getting big YAC, still held the ball too long on a lot of plays where windows were open for a second, and still did the panicky scramble into the rush thing a few times.

I don't think I'm expecting his play to change too much at this point. I thought he might continue to develop on these things last year, but it seems he is the player he is at this point.

Sorry to be a downer on the subject after a big win! This W was 95% because of the defense IMO. Holy hell this new secondary is good. Tre White looking like a fantastic draft pick so far. Gains, Poyer, and Hyde were all lights out yesterday, too.

He did a lot of stuff for only missing 6 passes. At least 2 of them being outright drops.

Yes, high completion percentage on most short passes. Some of those went for bigger gains in YAC that pad the QBs numbers. Stats can often be misleading. I watched every play as I usually do, but it is hard to see the routes that may have been open downfield on TV. I'll be interested to see the All 22 and if there were many open receivers that were missed, which seems to be the case a lot with him.

Tyrod still has trouble getting the ball down the field, which you need to do to win in most NFL games. A lot of his completions were also when the receiver was completely wide open, no defender within 5 yards. I'm glad he hit those, but you still don't see much of Tyrod fitting the ball into tight windows and throwing to receivers on time out of breaks. Again, I think that's who he is as a player. Not an anticipation thrower. And that's not a long term winning strategy as an NFL QB in my humble opinion.

The defense gave the offense the ball with a very short field on almost every drive we scored on. And 4 of those scores were Hauska field goals. 3 of which were very long field goals where the offense had a 3 and out or very short drive. Didn't help the kicker there, but he came through anyways. There were a ton of 3 and outs in general, as usual.

Tyrod did what he does well when we win, and that's great. But per usual, among other weaknesses, I've seen nothing to show that he can take us on a two minute drive and read/pick apart a defense to tie or win a game. In my HUMBLE opinion, with this good of a defense (if they keep playing this way), that will take us to another 7-9 maybe 8-8 finish.

Yeah I mean really. Look at all of Matt Ryans downfield completions.

pass-chart_RYA238179_2017-reg-3_15062890

Look at all of Carrs downfield completions

pass-chart_CAR358797_2017-reg-3_15063115

Look at all of Cousins downfield completions

Look at all of Mariotas downfield completions

Look at all of Wentz downfield completions

pass-chart_WEN615770_2017-reg-3_15062908

Look at Matt Stafford go!

pass-chart_STA134157_2017-reg-2_15057967

I could do these all day. Denver has a stellar pass rush and secondary. One of the most dangerous defenses in the NFL. Did Tyrod tear them up? Nope. He did what was needed to win a football game and did a good job doing it. Then people like you come along and cant even give him any credit when he does so.

Just speaking for myself, but I'm not cheering for the stat line. I'm cheering for the wins. Today was a good win. If Tyrod can do this to get us to a 10-6 finish, I'll be really impressed. He hasn't been able to do it so far. Last week the D had a performance vs Carolina that most teams don't see from their defense all season. That was squandered by an inept offense led by T. Taylor. I'm pumped we beat a good team like the Broncos, but my point is mainly that it was because of the D. If the D keeps playing this way all year, there's no reason we shouldn't be at least 10-6 if Tyrod is who you say he is.

^ Good point.

That inept offense was also led by Dennison. Did you know that Tyrod had 25 passes in that game and 12 of them came in the last two drives of the game? When you don't let your QB throw all game long then he never gets in a rhythm. Then he is expected to all of a sudden pull a Tom Brady out of his hat and drive us down field to score. He did drive us downfield. He also threw a football that was good enough to be caught for a TD. It can be argued to death about the pass and the receiver. No one can say for sure. I know a respected NFL receiver that puts that on Zay though.

Okay, ran the gambit.

Completion%: 63.0% - T-17 w/ Carr

YPA: 7.40 - 12th

YPG: 232.2 - 26th

TD/G: 1.594 - 20th

TD/TO: 3.40 - 2nd (Brady has a ridiculous 6.25)

YPT: 6.17 - 19th

TD%: 4.23% - 20th

TO%: 1.24 - 2nd (Top 5 here are Brady, Tyrod, A Smith, Dak, & Rodgers w/ Wilson coming in at 6th. Nice company imo.)

Passer Rating: 94.6 - T-12 w/ Bradford

What am I looking at?

Is this since his first game in 2015?

If that's what you've compiled, good work :thumbsup:

@BuffaloBillsPR

#Shoutout: Tyrod Taylor tallied his second-highest career completion percentage in the @buffalobills 26-16 win yesterday.

DKmaKFbVoAAMgPT.jpg

People forget........but when Taylor had a healthy Sammy and Harvin at the beginning of 2015 one of the storylines was the near record completion % pace he was on thru the first 3 games........then in game 6 he had his best % day going 11-12 in a blowout of Miami.

Edited by #BADOL

We have a team folks. That can compete with most. Tyrod is the undisputed leader of the offense for that team. We should stop carping about what might be in the future and give him our unconditional support in the present. For the foreseeable future he is our QB. And his work ethic and commitment have earned our support so long as he has the job.