What would you trade for Smith?

ColdFront_USAF

The time for this organization to go after Smith was a while ago, when he was falling out of favor in San Francisco and could be had.

Instead we pursued other options that burned in flames.

The window on Smith being a Bill is now closed.

Incorrect. The Bills went after Smith at that time you mention... hard. The Bills were the only team to offer two draft picks for AS, which prompted KC to match the offer and KC had a higher draft position than BUF.

It's been announced/speculated that he will be on the trading block by the end of the season. Personally, I would rather take a qb in the draft, but I was wondering what other fans thought of getting someone that would make us relevant instantly. I would still prefer to have our drafted qb sit for a year, and Smith could keep us competitive while that happens.

It's not a terrible idea and would likely be better than the clown show we've watched at QB for what seems like an eternity. For the right price it makes sense.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry no ill will. It's just not rational that the Cheifs would to to trade Alex, nor would he be a good aquisition target for the Bills in their current state.

I prefer tequila 😉

I actually agree with you, I was more interested to see other people opinions. I would personally rather use those picks to fill up roster holes/move up to get one of Beane's top qb targets, but this is just a potential option to explore.

I actually agree with you, I was more interested to see other people opinions. I would personally rather use those picks to fill up roster holes/move up to get one of Beane's top qb targets, but this is just a potential option to explore.

The other aside is no way KC straps on Dareus. I'm not sure he even fits their D.

I'll say this on the hopes it doesn't hijack your thread, but I don't see Smith as a significant upgrade from Tyrod.

It's all about getting the young gun. Be it some surprise burried on a depth chart, a draft pick or some bad fit (young or favre) in one place that's a great fit here.

The other aside is no way KC straps on Dareus. I'm not sure he even fits their D.

I'll say this on the hopes it doesn't hijack your thread, but I don't see Smith as a significant upgrade from Tyrod.

It's all about getting the young gun. Be it some surprise burried on a depth chart, a draft pick or some bad fit (young or favre) in one place that's a great fit here.

Totally agree. So do we start the rookie right away then? I

don't see TT being on the roster next year, so I don't think we would have another viable option.

Two questions. Why in the world would KC entertain trading him when the team is likely headed back to the playoffs again after the season? Why would the Bills want a 34 year old QB with so much work to be done to rebuild the roster?

so much work to rebuild the roster? if you had a qb. I see the need for a guard and a big play receiver . The defense seems like it will be a top ten d

I would have grabbed him in 2012 when we didn't have anybody and SF gave him away

absolutely. But this is Buffalo .Buffalo makes billslike moves. I remember a similar situation where we could have picked up Jeff Garcia when we were a QB away from being a serious team.Of course we didnt pull the trigger on that either.

absolutely. But this is Buffalo .Buffalo makes billslike moves. I remember a similar situation where we could have picked up Jeff Garcia when we were a QB away from being a serious team.Of course we didnt pull the trigger on that either.

Again, the Bills tried to land Smith. Offered two picks and the Chiefs matched.

Alex Smith has been playing well for KC, but they have his replacement already on the roster. What would you give up to obtain him, or would you not bother and plan on drafting one next year?

I would think Dareus and a 2nd day pick could be enough to grab him, but would it be worth it long term?

no

yes

so much work to rebuild the roster? if you had a qb. I see the need for a guard and a big play receiver . The defense seems like it will be a top ten d

MILLS !!!

Nothing. If the Chiefs release him then I might pursue him in FA. No draft picks though. We can draft one of our own this year.

And we will. without question.

Folks forget this feature of the season when talking about Tyrod or his stand in needed asap or sooner.

Bills are working the roster this year. Likely even the Coaches such as Dennison and Frazier. I feel that is the way to improve long term.

Two questions. Why in the world would KC entertain trading him when the team is likely headed back to the playoffs again after the season? Why would the Bills want a 34 year old QB with so much work to be done to rebuild the roster?

...side note: when he was a UFA, OBD termed him a "lateral move" from Fitzpatrick and did not call him in............

It's been announced/speculated that he will be on the trading block by the end of the season. Personally, I would rather take a qb in the draft, but I was wondering what other fans thought of getting someone that would make us relevant instantly. I would still prefer to have our drafted qb sit for a year, and Smith could keep us competitive while that happens.

Who announced it? Not Andy Reid certainly. Reid will part with Smith only if he feels he's finished. Mahomes hasn't played a minute in a real NFL game, and he may not even get any meaningful playing experience at all unless Smith gets hurt.

Aside from that, Smith is not going to make the Bills competitive in any way, shape or form. Neither will the first round QB that the Bills will draft in 2018. Lorenzo Alexander, Richie Incognito, Kyle Williams, and Eric Wood are all on the wrong side of 30. All the RBs are 29 or older as is Jerry Hughes. It's likely that both Taylor and Dareus will be gone by next season. Most of the WRs and DBs are never weres or ST refugees. The right side of the OL remains a sieve. Maybe Dawkins helps but he's a rookie and about 50% of even first and second draft picks bust, so who knows?

Again, the Bills tried to land Smith. Offered two picks and the Chiefs matched.

Could we have upped the ante and offered another pick? If so, we should have.

As to the original question, I would offer their 1 back. Then I'd go up from there to whatever it takes.

I diagree with a lot of posters here who have their head stuck up a stat sheet. I believe Alex to he a great QB. He takes care of the football. Is accurate. Can run (I remember him running around Manny Lawson at the Ralph for a tD,) he makes big plays during the game resulting in wins. He's a leader.

I wouldnt trade anything for him. He is a solid QB, but still not good enough. He is also old. Smith is the epitome of keeping the team good but not good enough. That team wouldn't go anywhere without having the defense it has had over the years. The Bill's are better off using draft capital to draft their own and hope it works out.

Edited by Scott7975