THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Welcome to the NFL

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Welcome to the NFL

The Bills opened their season last week with a win over the New York Jets. This week they played a real NFL team, the Carolina Panthers, the result was different. This week the Bills began to learn how far they must progress to be competitive in the league.

There isn’t much to say. When your defense gives up less than 5 yards per pass and less than 3 yards per rush, you win, right? Not when your offense is worse.

Either the Bills just don’t have an offense, or they have one that needs a lot of work. It’s frustrating, really; all last season the Bills needed the defense to show up to make the playoffs. The defense didn’t. Now the Bills are getting the defense and the offense is in the tank.

It’s almost always tough transitioning to a new coach and a new GM. The Bills are no exception. They installed a new offensive scheme and a new defensive scheme. They moved on from several players with the potential to be big contributors – Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, Gillislee, Woods and replaced them with some veterans and some rookies. In a situation like this, there are going to be growing pains.

And it doesn’t help when games two, three and four on the schedule are against recent Super Bowl teams, two on the road. If the offense could do nothing against Carolina, how will it match up with the Broncos? How about on the road in Atlanta?

I like this team. I may not like it in December, but I like it now. I can live with the growing pains, because this team gives me a good feeling. For example:

Penalties. Two weeks in a row, very few penalties. The players are playing with discipline.

Tackling. Every coach talks about having a defense that runs to the ball, but talk is cheap. The Bills defenders actually DO run to the ball, and it’s great to watch. These guys tackle, they tackle in the open field, and they gang tackle. They play with discipline

Composure. These Bills know that not every play will go well, and when a play fails, they get up, go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play. LeSean McCoy had every reason to be frustrated Sunday, because he had no place to run. The frustration never showed. Discipline.

Confidence. All game, even on offense, the team had the look and feel of a team that was in control, that was confident the next play would work. After an entire day of failure, when the offense needed a touchdown to salvage the game, they played like a team that knew how to get it done. Didn’t close it out, but didn’t go four and out with two sacks. They seriously threatened to win the game. Discipline.

The Bills look and feel like a team that can win. Of course, that’s not enough. They must actually win, win more than they lose, win games on the road, win games against good teams, win all the games they should and a few that they shouldn’t. Until that happens, it’s nice that the Bills are likeable but it isn’t enough.

Sunday, the Bills defense was great. No touchdowns, no big chunk plays. Six sacks for 50 yards with relatively limited blitzing. If the offense had done its job, the time of possession would have been even and the Panthers would have been held under 200 yards offense.

This defense looks a lot like Jauron’s defense in the sense that it takes a conservative approach: no big plays, challenge the opponent to go the length of the field on long drives, challenge the opponent to convert plenty of third downs. McDermott has better players than Jauron had, especially up front, so his defense can give the opponent fits.

A lot of guys made defensive plays against the Panthers. Someday before the end of the season, I should watch Kyle Williams on every play, because he is a rare football player. He makes plays every week. He does it with strength, he does it with quickness, he does it with determination. He did it again Sunday.

Jordan Poyer makes plays.

Tre’Davious White is around the ball a lot. He isn’t making a lot of plays, not yet, but he doesn’t look like a rookie, either. As he learns the scheme and the game, I expect we will start to see some big plays from him.

Humber is growing on me. Solid.

Shaq is starting to make some noise.

The offense, of course, is an entirely different story. The defense has success on most plays; the offense doesn’t. Ten first downs isn’t enough. Three yards per rush attempt isn’t enough. Three yards per pass attempt isn’t enough. The quarterback leading the team in rushing. Those stats scream two words: Offensive line.

I don’t know who played well on the line, if anyone. I don’t know what’s wrong. I do know that for an offense to be that, either the offensive line has to be bad or the skill position players have to be totally inept. The receivers aren’t inept, the running backs aren’t, and Taylor isn’t either. The line has to be better. Good luck getting better against the Broncos..

Tyrod Taylor? It’s hard to know. He looks like he’s in control. He looks like he’s decisive, reading defenses and getting the ball out. And he was under a lot of pressure. But for the second week in a row, he’s looked more like a game manager than a franchise quarterback. Simply put, he didn’t make enough throws to win the game. He didn’t throw enough to wide outs – was that Tyrod or was that the play calling? He missed opportunities throughout the game, but the most important pass, the last offensive play of the game for the Bills, was the one that really mattered.

The defense played so well for the entire game that somehow, almost miraculously, the Bills still had a chance to win with two minutes left in the game. Taylor managed that final drive well enough, and on fourth down with seconds left, Dennison had a play that would get Zay Jones open near the goal line, perhaps into the end zone. It was the kind of play that winning teams always seem to have in their back pockets, the play they call when the game’s on the line. The Bills had it, Jones was open, and Taylor didn’t make the throw. The throw wasn’t horrible; it was catchable, but it would have been a truly great catch. Did Jones misplay it? Maybe. Even if he did, he got his hands on the ball and could have caught it. But great teams rely on their quarterbacks, not their rookie wideouts, to win games. Taylor got exactly the look he wanted, and he didn’t make the throw.

I’m not giving up on Taylor. If Holmes had simply made his cut without pushing off, Taylor’s perfect throw to the sideline would have been a completion, and the Bills would have had four shots at the end zone from the 22. Taylor has skills, he’s learning the offense, he’s working with new receivers. Let’s see how he looks six weeks from now.

The offense will improve as the season progresses; the question is how much. A lot will depend on the offensive line, and a lot will depend on Taylor.

I like this team.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Edited by Shaw66

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the optimistic outlook. Maybe it is because I had no expectations for this season anyways, but I watched the game with very little frustration. I see the big picture like you do.

Big picture: we have a new offensive scheme. Our #1 WR was picked up weeks before the season and missed all of preseason and training camp. Our #2 WR is a rookie still learning his way around the NFL - 2 balls that hit him in the hands ended up as incompletions including a possible game winner.

The game, again, came down to missed opportunities. In addition to the 2 Zay drops, DiMarco dropped a clean ball for a would-be 3rd down conversion. On a 4th and 1 at midfield (I loved the decision to go for it) we draw up a pitch to Shady in the backfield and Carolina ate it right up.

Our 1st down offense was putrid, play calling and execution. In the 1st half we may as well have started on 2nd down. A couple drives we may as well have started on 3rd down! Those critical drops were critical because they came on 3rd downs or at the very end of the game. What if we ran the last play of the game on 2nd down in the 2nd quarter? We leave ourselves with so little room for error. In a rush-centric offense, the drops count more.

But it's a road NFC game. This is as unimportant as it gets for the final standings. Still it would have been nice to have one more win to cushion against later in the season. I will be looking forward and hoping the offense can get its act together. Next week is a must-win.

I agree with the optimistic outlook. Maybe it is because I had no expectations for this season anyways, but I watched the game with very little frustration. I see the big picture like you do.

Big picture: we have a new offensive scheme. Our #1 WR was picked up weeks before the season and missed all of preseason and training camp. Our #2 WR is a rookie still learning his way around the NFL - 2 balls that hit him in the hands ended up as incompletions including a possible game winner.

The game, again, came down to missed opportunities. In addition to the 2 Zay drops, DiMarco dropped a clean ball for a would-be 3rd down conversion. On a 4th and 1 at midfield (I loved the decision to go for it) we draw up a pitch to Shady in the backfield and Carolina ate it right up.

Our 1st down offense was putrid, play calling and execution. In the 1st half we may as well have started on 2nd down. A couple drives we may as well have started on 3rd down! Those critical drops were critical because they came on 3rd downs or at the very end of the game. What if we ran the last play of the game on 2nd down in the 2nd quarter? We leave ourselves with so little room for error. In a rush-centric offense, the drops count more.

But it's a road NFC game. This is as unimportant as it gets for the final standings. Still it would have been nice to have one more win to cushion against later in the season. I will be looking forward and hoping the offense can get its act together. Next week is a must-win.

Thanks for the post, Happy. All good points.

I liked going for it on fourth down, too. That play call looks brilliant when it works, awful when it doesn't. I think good teams have gotten smart to to that play.

Zay's in the big leagues now, and we only can wait to see if he raises his game to the necessary level.

I've been quite confident that the offensive problems under Rex were largely because of play design and play calling. I feel the same way after two games this season. There MUST be ways to get Matthews and Jones and Holmes more than once or twice a game. Unless, of course, as some will say, they ARE open and SHOULD be thrown to, but Tyrod isn't finding them. I don't know the answer to that. I think six weeks from now we'll know, because Tyrod will be finding them or Peterman will be playing.

This is similar to Jauron's defense, I hate the term but we are a bend but dont break defense. Just like Jauron, don't give up the big plays, hope the offense makes a mistake. We will give up a lot of yards but not a lot of TDs, that is what you say yesterday. With our zone coverage a good QB can methodically go down the field if they have a quick release and are accurate but when we get near the red zone and the field is compressed, that is when our zone is really effective.

One of the frustrating aspects though sometimes you have to attack on defnse, yesterday with time critical we let Carolina go down the field into field goal range, they used up valuable time and got another 3 points which meant we needed a TD. We made a critical mistake imo by not being more aggressive on their last drive, abandon the zone coverage.

Nothing new with Tyrod, this is year 3 with the same problems. Hopefully they want to teach him how to be a decent NFL QB, there is no plan B and drafting a QB will take some time as well.

Overall they are 1-1 where they should be. Denver looked very good against Dallas, this will be a good test for the Bills, but 1-2 is my expecations.

Thanks as always, it is nice to read some reasonable take on the game insted of all the bashing without fundament that happens a lot in any message board.

I of course agree with you in must of what you said and here are my takes:

1. The OC needs to open up his offense and play the strenght of his players. TT is not a pocket passer, he can do it but it is not his best chance to win. Roll outs, move the pocket, miss direction, etc. is what we are missing.

2. They need to spread the offense to avoid having an stack front. That will even upen up the short routs they want to live with. The short passing game won´t work if you have a full front 7, everybody is playing close to the LOS, even the CBs and Ss. They need to try to go deep once in a while, even if it doesn´t work just so the D plays honest.

3. Everybody is bashing TT for that throw, but what I can see is that Zay ran a bad rout, he needed to go to the first pylon, insted he went to the sideline in a sharper cut. If he goes to the pylon the throw would have been on the money. Zay tryed to make an amazing catch but faild.

4. I didn´t think McD manage the timeouts wrong, I think it was smart to keep that one so he could hit a pass to the middle of the field and still have a chance to throw one more time. And the TO call on D on the goal line stand was brilliant. Riviera did something similar before our last play.

5. Dennison didn´t call that last play, I saw Taylor chating with Ricco when they (Panthers) called the TO, he was telling him what he wanted (it seems).

6. We have a top 5 D, and it will keep us in a lot of games. Hope we can disturbe Brady

Tyrod can't win when given a chance, i'm sick and tired of watching other NFL QBs making throws and their receiver bringing down a contested catch all the time while we have someone that wont throw until a guy is wide open and even then isn't accurate.

I have defended Tyrod for a long time but I am done now, our offense is in real trouble and i think we're looking at 1-3 or 1-4 and our season over in October.

Guest NeckBeard

I agree with you, Shaw, when it comes to the team showing discipline. I could easily have seen one of the Jauron, Marrone, or Rex squads completely having collapsed when faced with the adversity that the team was yesterday. I like what I see with the D -- a lot -- and I hope it continues; I do think that the team needs to re-evaluate what it's doing on offense, and that I don't see the correction happening full on this year, but rather in 2018. To a later response of yours', I think we'll see Peterman at some point this year if the offense can't get it into gear.

I also think the next two games are going to be beyond bumpy. Denver looks good this year, and Atlanta looks like it could be the representative from the NFC again. I suspect another strong defensive showing against Denver. My expectations are beyond low against Atlanta as of this moment.

This is similar to Jauron's defense, I hate the term but we are a bend but dont break defense. Just like Jauron, don't give up the big plays, hope the offense makes a mistake. We will give up a lot of yards but not a lot of TDs, that is what you say yesterday. With our zone coverage a good QB can methodically go down the field if they have a quick release and are accurate but when we get near the red zone and the field is compressed, that is when our zone is really effective.

That was the Schwartz defense too, "bend but don't break." We would give up chunk yardage right up until they got to about midfield and then the other offense would stall. It's not the best way to win the field position battle but it does prevent big plays and it keeps the score low. In the modern NFL where it's too easy to get big plays on offense I think it is the right style.

The Rockpile Review by Shaw66

Welcome to the NFL

The Bills opened their season last week with a win over the New York Jets. This week they played a real NFL team, the Carolina Panthers, the result was different. This week the Bills began to learn how far they must progress to be competitive in the league.

There isnt much to say. When your defense gives up less than 5 yards per pass and less than 3 yards per rush, you win, right? Not when your offense is worse.

Either the Bills just dont have an offense, or they have one that needs a lot of work. Its frustrating, really; all last season the Bills needed the defense to show up to make the playoffs. The defense didnt. Now the Bills are getting the defense and the offense is in the tank.

Its almost always tough transitioning to a new coach and a new GM. The Bills are no exception. They installed a new offensive scheme and a new defensive scheme. They moved on from several players with the potential to be big contributors Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, Gillislee, Woods and replaced them with some veterans and some rookies. In a situation like this, there are going to be growing pains.

And it doesnt help when games two, three and four on the schedule are against recent Super Bowl teams, two on the road. If the offense could do nothing against Carolina, how will it match up with the Broncos? How about on the road in Atlanta?

I like this team. I may not like it in December, but I like it now. I can live with the growing pains, because this team gives me a good feeling. For example:

Penalties. Two weeks in a row, very few penalties. The players are playing with discipline.

Tackling. Every coach talks about having a defense that runs to the ball, but talk is cheap. The Bills defenders actually DO run to the ball, and its great to watch. These guys tackle, they tackle in the open field, and they gang tackle. They play with discipline

Composure. These Bills know that not every play will go well, and when a play fails, they get up, go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play. LeSean McCoy had every reason to be frustrated Sunday, because he had no place to run. The frustration never showed. Discipline.

Confidence. All game, even on offense, the team had the look and feel of a team that was in control, that was confident the next play would work. After an entire day of failure, when the offense needed a touchdown to salvage the game, they played like a team that knew how to get it done. Didnt close it out, but didnt go four and out with two sacks. They seriously threatened to win the game. Discipline.

The Bills look and feel like a team that can win. Of course, thats not enough. They must actually win, win more than they lose, win games on the road, win games against good teams, win all the games they should and a few that they shouldnt. Until that happens, its nice that the Bills are likeable but it isnt enough.

Sunday, the Bills defense was great. No touchdowns, no big chunk plays. Six sacks for 50 yards with relatively limited blitzing. If the offense had done its job, the time of possession would have been even and the Panthers would have been held under 200 yards offense.

This defense looks a lot like Jaurons defense in the sense that it takes a conservative approach: no big plays, challenge the opponent to go the length of the field on long drives, challenge the opponent to convert plenty of third downs. McDermott has better players than Jauron had, especially up front, so his defense can give the opponent fits.

A lot of guys made defensive plays against the Panthers. Someday before the end of the season, I should watch Kyle Williams on every play, because he is a rare football player. He makes plays every week. He does it with strength, he does it with quickness, he does it with determination. He did it again Sunday.

Jordan Poyer makes plays.

TreDavious White is around the ball a lot. He isnt making a lot of plays, not yet, but he doesnt look like a rookie, either. As he learns the scheme and the game, I expect we will start to see some big plays from him.

Humber is growing on me. Solid.

Shaq is starting to make some noise.

The offense, of course, is an entirely different story. The defense has success on most plays; the offense doesnt. Ten first downs isnt enough. Three yards per rush attempt isnt enough. Three yards per pass attempt isnt enough. The quarterback leading the team in rushing. Those stats scream two words: Offensive line.

I dont know who played well on the line, if anyone. I dont know whats wrong. I do know that for an offense to be that, either the offensive line has to be bad or the skill position players have to be totally inept. The receivers arent inept, the running backs arent, and Taylor isnt either. The line has to be better. Good luck getting better against the Broncos..

Tyrod Taylor? Its hard to know. He looks like hes in control. He looks like hes decisive, reading defenses and getting the ball out. And he was under a lot of pressure. But for the second week in a row, hes looked more like a game manager than a franchise quarterback. Simply put, he didnt make enough throws to win the game. He didnt throw enough to wide outs was that Tyrod or was that the play calling? He missed opportunities throughout the game, but the most important pass, the last offensive play of the game for the Bills, was the one that really mattered.

The defense played so well for the entire game that somehow, almost miraculously, the Bills still had a chance to win with two minutes left in the game. Taylor managed that final drive well enough, and on fourth down with seconds left, Dennison had a play that would get Zay Jones open near the goal line, perhaps into the end zone. It was the kind of play that winning teams always seem to have in their back pockets, the play they call when the games on the line. The Bills had it, Jones was open, and Taylor didnt make the throw. The throw wasnt horrible; it was catchable, but it would have been a truly great catch. Did Jones misplay it? Maybe. Even if he did, he got his hands on the ball and could have caught it. But great teams rely on their quarterbacks, not their rookie wideouts, to win games. Taylor got exactly the look he wanted, and he didnt make the throw.

Im not giving up on Taylor. If Holmes had simply made his cut without pushing off, Taylors perfect throw to the sideline would have been a completion, and the Bills would have had four shots at the end zone from the 22. Taylor has skills, hes learning the offense, hes working with new receivers. Lets see how he looks six weeks from now.

The offense will improve as the season progresses; the question is how much. A lot will depend on the offensive line, and a lot will depend on Taylor.

I like this team.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full days hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Truly wonderful to read these. Thanks Shaw.

The Bills had it, Jones was open, and Taylor didn’t make the throw. The throw wasn’t horrible; it was catchable, but it would have been a truly great catch. Did Jones misplay it? Maybe. Even if he did, he got his hands on the ball and could have caught it. But great teams rely on their quarterbacks, not their rookie wideouts, to win games. Taylor got exactly the look he wanted, and he didn’t make the throw.

With the Clay Thing last week I didn't think there was enough fault to lay on anyone; it was just a play which didn't come off. Here I think otherwise : Taylor threw to the pylon, cheating just a bit to the inside to lead away from the cornerback. Jones ran tight to the sideline out at the five yard line, looked back for the pass over his right shoulder, took one stumbling step and jumped up vertically. However with just another stride the ball would have dropped right over his shoulder for an easy touchdown. ZJ did an awkward job tracking the pass and misjudged badly making a play on the ball. No one knows where the route was supposed to go, but if it to the pylon, Taylor's pass was better than Jones' route - even if you don't assume Taylor was purposely throwing Jones away from the coverage. Every game every Sunday receivers running deep make adjustments on the ball. It's a basic receiver skill with a pass plus-minus forty yards thru the air.

That was the Schwartz defense too, "bend but don't break." We would give up chunk yardage right up until they got to about midfield and then the other offense would stall. It's not the best way to win the field position battle but it does prevent big plays and it keeps the score low. In the modern NFL where it's too easy to get big plays on offense I think it is the right style.

Wait a minutes, please. We're not bending at all. The Panthers ran 66 plays on offense to our 51. They had a 17+ (that's SEVENTEEN!!!) minute advantage in TOP. If you think giving up 255 yards and 9 points is 'bending and not breaking' instead of straight f@#$ing balling I think you need to be watching a different sport.

With the Clay Thing last week I didn't think there was enough fault to lay on anyone; it was just a play which didn't come off. Here I think otherwise : Taylor threw to the pylon, cheating just a bit to the inside to lead away from the cornerback. Jones ran tight to the sideline out at the five yard line, looked back for the pass over his right shoulder, took one stumbling step and jumped up vertically. However with just another stride the ball would have dropped right over his shoulder for an easy touchdown. ZJ did an awkward job tracking the pass and misjudged badly making a play on the ball. No one knows where the route was supposed to go, but if it to the pylon, Taylor's pass was better than Jones' route - even if you don't assume Taylor was purposely throwing Jones away from the coverage. Every game every Sunday receivers running deep make adjustments on the ball. It's a basic receiver skill with a pass plus-minus forty yards thru the air.

Rarely do I change my mind from anything I have red here but you have got me thinking, it is entirely possible it was Zay Jones fault and that pass was exactly where and when it was supposed to be. I never noticed the stumble but i see it now

I have two words for you in regards to the offensive line, Aaron Kromer. He was so good at what he does and it was a shame to lose him even under contract. Castillo is a huge step back and I will keep saying it. Now with that said a healthy Glenn makes a big difference too and I should think Henderson if he gets back to playing condition would be an enormous upgrade over Mills.

Thanks for this. I only saw the play once, at a sports bar, and I've wondered a lot about it. It IS like the Clay play last week - none us really knows what was expected of the players on that play. I think Taylor has good accuracy, especially deep, so part of me wants to think that he put that ball where he wanted to and it was all on Jones. It looked to me like Jones didn't adjust to the ball as well as he should have - he had time to track it and he had space to operate in. In other words, he made it a more difficult catch than it needed to be.

One reason I feel good about the team is that I think with six or eight more weeks experience, and certainly next year, Taylor and Jones and Matthews will be fully on the same page on plays like that. Jones is learning the league and the position, Taylor is learning the offense and the receivers. Why do I think they'll improve? Because the level of discipline these guys are demonstrating makes me think that over time they'll get it all down pat.

I have two words for you in regards to the offensive line, Aaron Kromer. He was so good at what he does and it was a shame to lose him even under contract. Castillo is a huge step back and I will keep saying it. Now with that said a healthy Glenn makes a big difference too and I should think Henderson if he gets back to playing condition would be an enormous upgrade over Mills.

I don't pretend to know the answer, and yours is certainly a good possible explanation.

Rarely do I change my mind from anything I have red here but you have got me thinking, it is entirely possible it was Zay Jones fault and that pass was exactly where and when it was supposed to be. I never noticed the stumble but i see it now

I agree. I don't know, and I'd love to hear the coaches talk about it. That's not stuff they share with us.

Good post, Shaw. I agree with the optimism regarding the team discipline - it's good to see that ... finally.

As for the next few games, I expect to be 1-3 going into Cinci. I don't see the offense turning it around anytime soon. But long term, there's reason to be hopeful. It really looks like McD and company are building a winner, but it won't happen overnight.

Good post, Shaw. I agree with the optimism regarding the team discipline - it's good to see that ... finally.

As for the next few games, I expect to be 1-3 going into Cinci. I don't see the offense turning it around anytime soon. But long term, there's reason to be hopeful. It really looks like McD and company are building a winner, but it won't happen overnight.

If the Bills are going to go 2-2 to open the season. I don't see any way to win in Atlanta.