Who is our wildcard competition this year?

HappyDays

Looking around the AFC we are still in pretty good shape. A close NFC loss means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You have the Chiefs/Raiders winning the West and taking the 1st wildcard spot, Steelers winning the North, Pats winning the East, and who-gives-a-crap winning the South.

So what about the 2nd wildcard? think competition for that 2nd spot is between the Broncos and the Ravens. Hard to tell who the Ravens are right now because they've only played the Bengals and Browns. Next week is a must-win IMO. Hard to find a scenario where the Bills lose at home to Denver and still end up in the playoffs. But if we win next week we are EASILY in the hunt. And honestly that was probably true whether we won today or not.

Tough loss today but go Bills.

Edited by HappyDays

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ain't going to the playoffs. Give it a rest.

How did I know this would be the first response? Sorry I'm not crying after one loss where the defense played lights out. Look around the league. There are very few quality teams. Bills are right in there with any wildcard contender as evidenced by a close loss on the road against an NFC opponent. Biggest gap between us and teams like the Ravens/Broncos is chemistry and time as a unit. Bills should get better as the season chugs along, and we will not see any defense as good as the Panthers the rest of the year.

At least one wildcard team will have games where they look at least as bad as we did today. Next week is huge!

Looking around the AFC we are still in pretty good shape. A close NFC loss means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You have the Chiefs/Raiders winning the West and taking the 1st wildcard spot, Steelers winning the North, Pats winning the East, and who-gives-a-crap winning the South.

So what about the 2nd wildcard? think competition for that 2nd spot is between the Broncos and the Ravens. Hard to tell who the Ravens are right now because they've only played the Bengals and Browns. Next week is a must-win IMO. Hard to find a scenario where the Bills lose at home to Denver and still end up in the playoffs. But if we win next week we are EASILY in the hunt. And honestly that was probably true whether we won today or not.

Tough loss today but go Bills.

Titans. Chargers. Dolphins. Texans.

How did I know this would be the first response? Sorry I'm not crying after one loss where the defense played lights out. Look around the league. There are very few quality teams. Bills are right in there with any wildcard contender as evidenced by a close loss on the road against an NFC opponent. Biggest gap between us and teams like the Ravens/Broncos is chemistry and time as a unit. Bills should get better as the season chugs along, and we will not see any defense as good as the Panthers the rest of the year.

At least one wildcard team will have games where they look at least as bad as we did today. Next week is huge!

Really ?....Right of the bat, Denver next week is better...by far.....

Just my opinion of course but for me today confirmed this isn't a playoff team so no sense in debating it.

AFC West is sending at least 2 teams to the playoffs between the division winner and one WC. And based on what I've seen wouldn't be surprised if both WC's come out of there.

Beating Denver next week would certainly keep any faint hopes alive for another week but don't see it happening against another ridiculous defense matched up against Tyrod Taylor.

The following teams are clearly better than us right now (and of course this will change: injuries, breakout players, etc):

Chiefs

Raiders

Broncos

Steelers

Titans

Patriots

After that, I think it's too soon to tell. Ravens? Texans? Dolphins? Chargers? Nobody else should scare Bills fans. 6 teams that I believe are objectively superior in the AFC right now. That's hardly insurmountable ...

Titans. Chargers. Dolphins. Texans.

I could see the Chargers and Dolphins. That's another big game going on right now. 100% disagree on Texans and Titans, one of them might win the South but that division isn't sending a wildcard.

Really ?....Right of the bat, Denver next week is better...by far.....

I feel like they are not the same team on the road but you could be right. IMO Carolina has the best front 7 in the league. We couldn't get any kind of run game going at all.

I could see the Chargers and Dolphins. That's another big game going on right now. 100% disagree on Texans and Titans, one of them might win the South but that division isn't sending a wildcard.

It depends on how bad the Colts and Jags are - early indications are that they're pretty bad, despite the Jags winning Week 1 and the Colts almost beating the Cards today. Everyone outside of the AFC West is at an advantage as it's unlikely that anyone can rack up easy wins in that division.