Who is our wildcard competition this year?

HappyDays

Okay so as it stands today the two wildcards would be Buffalo and Miami.

I think the picture is even more complicated after this week but here are some takeaways:

- very unlikely a wildcard comes out of the AFC North;

- our win over Denver as a potential tie breaker now looks less vital - while the West is still a potential source of a wildcard team the resurgent Raiders and Chargers look more threatening;

- Andrew Luck not coming back any time soon is bad news for the Bills... if the Colts become the whipping boy of the South - and they have been the past two weeks, then it is very possible that two teams from that division end up around 10 wins. We need Indi to pinch a couple of divisional matchups somewhere along the road.

- Miami are in play. Matt Moore gives them a better chance to win than Smokin' Jay at this point.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke the remaining 10 weeks into 3 3-week game plans (the last one has 4 games).

1st pack
@Home wtih Oakland

@ NY Jets

@Home with New Orleans

That is 3 winnable games if we can maintain Home Field advantage as they have done in the first 7 weeks of the season.

2nd pack - The most difficult stretch and it is very possible for the Bills to go 0-3 in this phase.

@ Chargers

@ Chiefs

Home vs Patriots

Two tough road games out of your time zone is pretty tough, especially when both those teams are playing excellent. The Pats are Pats!

3rd pack - Starts with two home games and ends with two on the road.

vs Colts

Vs Dolphins

@ Patriots

@ Dolphins

If the win @ home theme can be maintained, then the Billls will be 7-1 in New Era field. That puts them at 9-5 before they go on the road at Fox Borough and Miami. The Miami season ending game suddenly becomes a huge game if the Bills hope t finish 10-6 with a playoff push for the Wild Card.

Denver is Toast.

I think at least either the Chargers or Raiders enter the conversation come December, if not both teams. We really need to sweep the Chargers and Raiders. Both those games are going to be tough mothers though.

Toast huh?

3-3 is sooo far away from 4-2,

they are the 8th seed, one spot behind JAX.

Chargers? Did you say Chargers? :doh: 3-4 and the 12 seed.

Chargers and Raiders will most definitely be in the mix and Denver is dying on the vine. I could also see KC fading fast as well.

The Chargers have not improved in years and Rivers isn't getting any younger.

they are 1-3 at home as well

2-2 in Div, 2-3 in conference

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Assuming PIT/NE/KC win their divisions these 4 are our main competition at this point IMO:

HOU/TEN- Very possible with IND cratering they each get to 10 wins

OAK- This game is massive in our fate, W goes a long way.

MIA- Their defense is solid and if they just keep Moore in I no longer see this as a sweep and instead really tough games

These 2 I could are close to being a major issue and a few unexpected W's by either make a problem:

JAX- Their QB is still a major ? but their D and RB is legit. Given their ease in schedule I can easily see them at 9 maybe 10 wins

CINCY- Tougher schedule but they can win their fair share of games and they own us on tiebreaker so if we are at 9 W's each uh oh

These two are darkhorses who I wouldn't put money on or against despite each having flaws:

BAL- Their defense is pretty decent and if Flacco ever figures himself back out into a bit of the QB he has been they can win some games. Plus they have won games in the past on the road in tough places like PIT. I am not underselling them yet.

LAC- They have gotten back into the picture, have a potentially good-great offense at points, and D can make plays. Their stadium has issues and they have no homefield advantage, but they play anyone tough.

Edited by corta765

I think as of today I would pick the Pats, Steelers, Chiefs as division winners. The AFC South is truly murky and will likely come down to the final few weeks in terms of the division being won but I would pick the Jags today if I had to because of their defense and running game. Not sure they send a WC though because the division winner might be won with a 9-7 type of record.

I think in the AFCE obviously Miami and Bills are in the thick of the WC chase and current leaders if the season ended today.

Don't believe any team out of the AFCN makes the WC because both the Bengals and Ravens look like 8-8 teams best case scenario.

In the west we already own the tiebreaker over the Broncos with games left against the other teams looming large including the Raiders this week. If the Bills do win this game they may control their own destiny for a WC even with a loss against KC and possibly SD who still has an uphill battle after starting 0-4.