Most alarming is McDermott

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We knew/know this is what Tyrod is. We knew this wasn't going to be a good offense.

But I think we were hoping we finally had a coach that could manage the game properly. Clock management by McDermott was absolutely embarrassing. And I don't want to hear about how he's a rookie head coach, he's been around this game. He himself said he's been preparing for this for a long time.

It's a tough reality to face that we have yet another head coach who has no idea how to manage the game.

Time out should have been called under a minute because they had two left. I'll take McD's game/clock management over the clown that was here the last two years anyday.

How many penalties did we have today?

5 for 44 yards and a couple of them were pretty lame calls as usual. This is a HUGE improvement

Edited by Azucho98

Time out should have been called under a minute because they had two left. I'll take McD's game/clock management over the clown that was here the last two years anyday.

It wound up that they needed them because Tyrod was running around instead of throwing the ball away.

We knew/know this is what Tyrod is. We knew this wasn't going to be a good offense.

But I think we were hoping we finally had a coach that could manage the game properly. Clock management by McDermott was absolutely embarrassing. And I don't want to hear about how he's a rookie head coach, he's been around this game. He himself said he's been preparing for this for a long time.

It's a tough reality to face that we have yet another head coach who has no idea how to manage the game.

I always got the impression that defensive minded coaches were always poor at clock management in general because not knowing the offensive play call ahead of time puts them at a disadvantage imo.

This is a terrible thread, IMO. For three reasons:

1) we didn't lose because of clock management; it played actually no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game and so I don't get why this is a complaint.

2) in hindsight, the clock was actually managed correctly. If Zay catches that ball, we call TO and then easily have 3

Shots at the end zone while giving the panthers no chance to get the ball back.

I agree 100%.

3) if you can't appreciate how well coached the D was out there today and on the road, you are missing what coaching is all about. The game management stuff comes with experience; the fundamental coaching doesn't.

Just because Rich Gannon says the time outs were mismanaged doesn't make it so. The gameclock was managed properly - as said earlier if the pass is sompleted - the Bills have an opportunity to stop the clock and win the game.

Because you really want to put yourself in a situation where you have a 4th and 11 from the 33, 14 seconds left, needing a TD, with one timeout left. I'm sure that's how they wanted it to play out.

EDIT: these beautiful time management decisions may have had something to do with it:

• 1st and 10 at BUF 25

(2:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to L.McCoy to BUF 31 for 6 yards (D.Worley).

• 2nd and 4 at BUF 31

(2:10 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to Z.Jones to BUF 37 for 6 yards (C.Munnerlyn).

• (2:00 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning

• 1st and 10 at BUF 37

(2:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short right to J.Matthews to BUF 38 for 1 yard (J.Bradberry).

• 2nd and 9 at BUF 38

(1:39 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to Z.Jones pushed ob at 50 for 12 yards (D.Worley).

• 1st and 10 at 50

(1:33 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor scrambles left end pushed ob at CAR 48 for 2 yards (T.Davis).

• 2nd and 8 at CAR 48

(1:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle to L.McCoy to CAR 41 for 7 yards (M.Addison).

• 3rd and 1 at CAR 41

(1:06 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to A.Holmes pushed ob at CAR 32 for 9 yards (D.Worley).

• 1st and 10 at CAR 32

(1:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to A.Holmes ran ob at CAR 22 for 10 yards. PENALTY on BUF-A.Holmes, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at CAR 32 - No Play.

• 1st and 20 at CAR 42

(0:53 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor scrambles right end to CAR 38 for 4 yards (L.Kuechly).

• 2nd and 16 at CAR 38

(0:30 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete deep right to Z.Jones.

• 3rd and 16 at CAR 38

(0:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor scrambles right guard to CAR 33 for 5 yards (L.Kuechly).

• (0:14 - 4th) Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:14.

• (0:14 - 4th) Timeout #1 by CAR at 00:14.

• 4th and 11 at CAR 33

(0:14 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete deep right to Z.Jones.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Just because Rich Gannon says the time outs were mismanaged doesn't make it so. The gameclock was managed properly - as said earlier if the pass is sompleted - the Bills have an opportunity to stop the clock and win the game.

Many people here have their opinions shaped by color commentators and WGR "analysts." When really if you watched the game you can see that saving the TO was the smart play.

you can create threads with one post?

what would you expect from a rookie HC.

I expect a rookie NFL coach to have a better sense of clock management than most ten year olds on Madden. Are you frigging serious??? You actually believe that we cant expect a head coach of a blanking NFL team to know when to call a GD timeout. Some posters talk about the board being unreadable. Id say your comment tops that list. If your joking I apologize. If your not thats an absolutely pathetic take.

Many people here have their opinions shaped by color commentators and WGR "analysts." When really if you watched the game you can see that saving the TO was the smart play.

Translation. If you dont praise everything this 17 year and running playoffless franchise does you either have an agenda or dont know the game. Right?

Now that Ive vented I dont blame Mcdermott or Dennison for the loss. Poor execution by the offense and Tyrod in particular cost us this game. We would be 2-0 with competent QB play.

Edited by Billsmovinup

I expect a rookie NFL coach to have a better sense of clock management than most ten year olds on Madden. Are you frigging serious??? You actually believe that we cant expect a head coach of a blanking NFL team to know when to call a GD timeout. Some posters talk about the board being unreadable. Id say your comment tops that list. If your joking I apologize. If your not thats an absolutely pathetic take.

Translation. If you dont praise everything this 17 year and running playoffless franchise does you either have an agenda or dont know the game. Right?

Now that Ive vented I dont blame Mcdermott or Dennison for the loss. Poor execution by the offense and Tyrod in particular cost us this game. We would be 2-0 with competent QB play.

He was just as much the problem as the QB, his offence has not shown at all, even in the 4 preseason games) that it is going to work well and be able to put up points. He has shown that the defence will have to play lights out while he hopes the offence will get a score or 2 to win. Remember after last week how some were saying that the vanilla offence against the jets was just so that he didn't give the offence away for the panthers? Or is he saving the real play calling so they wouldn't give away the secrets until the Broncos next week?

There really was only 1 egregious misuse of timeouts. After the Tyrod scramble on 2nd down w about 50 secs left. Definitely should have used a TO there. The TO that was called when Carolina had 3rd and Goal w just over 2 mins was effective. Allowed Bills to set up proper D and hold them. If they score a TD there, last drive wouldn't of mattered. Yes Time ran off the clock first but he wanted to see the O formation and the Bills still got the ball back on the plus side of the 2 min warning.

I was actually pleased that Bills have not been wasting TOs 1st 2 weeks and are going into the last 2 mins of halves w all there TOs. Has been refreshing. Don't understand the complaints.

McDermott made a tactical error not calling timeout with 43 seconds left.........but when Gannon criticized him for not taking the TO before the half......he neglected the fact that McDermott waited so long so that he could see the offensive formation.

Like it or not....his clockwork was mostly in line with what he wanted to do.........kill the clock and hopefully win at the last minute.......Dickie J used to do this all the time.

I remember Dickie J punting the ball down 6 with two minutes left in Houston :doh: .........and he got lucky and the Bills got the ball back and JP hit Peerless Price at the last second in the end zone for the victory. :lol:

That's what McDermott was hoping for.........he stripped the roster of a number of talented players so that he could have a group that was cool with playing this style of football.

There really was only 1 egregious misuse of timeouts. After the Tyrod scramble on 2nd down w about 50 secs left. Definitely should have used a TO there. The TO that was called when Carolina had 3rd and Goal w just over 2 mins was effective. Allowed Bills to set up proper D and hold them. If they score a TD there, last drive wouldn't of mattered. Yes Time ran off the clock first but he wanted to see the O formation and the Bills still got the ball back on the plus side of the 2 min warning.

I was actually pleased that Bills have not been wasting TOs 1st 2 weeks and are going into the last 2 mins of halves w all there TOs. Has been refreshing. Don't understand the complaints.

Yep. The "smart to save the timeout" people always seem to forget that you would've had time to run up to the line and kill the clock if you'd saved about 30 seconds earlier in the drive ...

McDermott made a tactical error not calling timeout with 43 seconds left.........but when Gannon criticized him for not taking the TO before the half......he neglected the fact that McDermott waited so long so that he could see the offensive formation.

Like it or not....his clockwork was mostly in line with what he wanted to do.........kill the clock and hopefully win at the last minute.......Dickie J used to do this all the time.

I remember Dickie J punting the ball down 6 with two minutes left in Houston :doh: .........and he got lucky and the Bills got the ball back and JP hit Peerless Price at the last second in the end zone for the victory. :lol:

That's what McDermott was hoping for.........he stripped the roster of a number of talented players so that he could have a group that was cool with playing this style of football.

Another one calling for McD's head, eh?