Oh Marcell

billsfan_34

I watched him from the stadium myself and am tending to somewhat agree with the OP. JMHO.

Funny, McDermott went out of his way this morning to say how well Dareus played yesterday! What does he know? Skip to the 8:00 minute mark if you are numb to coach-speak:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Sean-McDermott-Played-as-a-Team-/21f68e04-6928-49b9-a3c0-40257e10ba75

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, McDermott went out of his way this morning to say how well Dareus played yesterday! What does he know? Skip to the 8:00 minute mark if you are numb to coach-speak:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Sean-McDermott-Played-as-a-Team-/21f68e04-6928-49b9-a3c0-40257e10ba75

McCoach has no credibility to be on TBD discussing anything. The man has like 0 posts here. He knows nothing about being a Monday morning QB, and his internet toughguy skills are non-existent.

I think you are onto something. If he played more, maybe he makes a bigger difference?

During the game I noticed and mentioned - Where the hell is Dareus? Why isn't he out there?

@SalSports

Bills rotated DL more than I've ever seen as a unit Sunday. Interesting snap stat counts in next tweet....

Bills DL snap counts of 58 plays Hughes 46 K. Williams 43 S. Lawson 37 Dareus 34 R. Davis 21 A. Washington 15 C. Thornton 13 E. Yarbrough 11

He means "more than I've ever seen as a unit since Jim Schwartz was here." Schwartz had a pretty strict rotation going on the D line with guys like Stefan Charles, Jarius Wynn, etc., and it worked beautifully. Nothing like having depth to keep players fresh.

Marcell was fine. He was doubled most of the snaps he was out there. Hardly dominant though and I expect much more as the season progresses. If not I will be first to admit I'm wrong.

I understand a DL rotation. What I don't understand is why both back-ups are on the field at the same time. On the Jets TD drive, the Bills DT were Washington and Thornton I believe. That made no sense to me. It was right after the Bills had scored. The defense had played 9 plays so far in the second half. The Jets first four plays went for 8, 11, 12, and 8.

That said Carolina is going to be a hot muggy mess this Sunday. Look for at least two guys to cramp up. The best weapon, will be sustained drives by the Bills offense

And I'll add you to the list of people on a football message board that still doesn't understand football.

The coach said he played well and Cover 1 is now doing a thread of tweets on Twitter demonstrating Marcells control of the LOS being important to controlling the jets RBs.

Yeah he's a bum though...

Yeah, I dont know football- not one bit thanks for letting me know.

Dareus will be wasted if he is used the same way for the entire season. He should NOT be off the field on third down. Kicking Shaq inside on third and long will not work. The line really didn't generate much pressure with that group. If a QB has to hold the ball, Marcell is a mismatch in the middle . I will look for this adjustment for the Carolina game.

Didn't he say some good things about Sammy right befor they traded him. Grain of salt.

Dareus is always going to be under the microscope given the size of his contract and his history in Buffalo.

And while nobody should overreact either way in terms of his play against the Jets in a victory, it's when we lose and lose big he'll be under a much bigger microscope.

Something tells me this latest 'lingering hip injury' is going to be an excuse for what supporters he has left in Buffalo if he does flame out again this year. He has a golden opportunity this week against an elite QB who isn't 100% to make some noise though.

Some interesting quotes in this article -

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_need_more_from_marcell_dareus_despite_praise_from_sean_mcdermott.html#incart_river_index

'That rotation included taking Dareus off the field on third down when the Jets were in a passing situation. He was only on the field for three of the Jets' 14 third-down attempts. All three were on third-down-and-three or fewer. Paying $60 million in guaranteed money for a run-stuffing, two-down defensive tackle isn't what most would consider ideal. Of course, McDermott and Beane didn't hand Dareus that albatross of a contract, but the fact that McDermott didn't put Dareus in a pass-rushing role is noteworthy. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said it was a game-plan specific move.'

"He's capable of rushing the passer," Frazier said. "We just felt like yesterday Ryan Davis was better suited for what they were doing with their guards. There may times down the line where Marcell may find himself in that role as well. For now, at least for yesterday, it was more about Ryan in those situations. Not that we don't think Marcell can be effective in those situations."

I am kind of surprised by this. We know Dareus can rush the passer. It makes me wonder if there's something else going on that we aren't privy to. I have wondered how bought in he was all offseason. Could it possibly have something to do with that? Or maybe they feel he needs to be eased in after some injury issues. Or maybe it was just the game plan for this week... who knows. I'm just speculating here.

It was only 1 game, though. I don't want to read too much into a single game. It'll be interesting to see if Dareus is used as more of a 2 down run stuffer all season, or if it will truly be game plan specific as they say.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_need_more_from_marcell_dareus_despite_praise_from_sean_mcdermott.html#incart_river_index

'That rotation included taking Dareus off the field on third down when the Jets were in a passing situation. He was only on the field for three of the Jets' 14 third-down attempts. All three were on third-down-and-three or fewer. Paying $60 million in guaranteed money for a run-stuffing, two-down defensive tackle isn't what most would consider ideal. Of course, McDermott and Beane didn't hand Dareus that albatross of a contract, but the fact that McDermott didn't put Dareus in a pass-rushing role is noteworthy. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said it was a game-plan specific move.'

"He's capable of rushing the passer," Frazier said. "We just felt like yesterday Ryan Davis was better suited for what they were doing with their guards. There may times down the line where Marcell may find himself in that role as well. For now, at least for yesterday, it was more about Ryan in those situations. Not that we don't think Marcell can be effective in those situations."

I am kind of surprised by this. We know Dareus can rush the passer. It makes me wonder if there's something else going on that we aren't privy to. I have wondered how bought in he was all offseason. Could it possibly have something to do with that? Or maybe they feel he needs to be eased in after some injury issues. Or maybe it was just the game plan for this week... who knows. I'm just speculating here.

It was only 1 game, though. I don't want to read too much into a single game. It'll be interesting to see if Dareus is used as more of a 2 down run stuffer all season, or if it will truly be game plan specific as they say.

I think the fact that they were giving him oxygen on the sideline at sea level has some bearing on interpretation here. Either his injury precluded him from really being in game shape (but what about all the SOFTA stuff like weightless treadmills and pool workouts?) or he hasn't done all that he could to stay in game shape.

I'm guessing the former - all the weightless running in the world doesn't prepare you for actually playing. And I suspect they had him on a pitch count, and there may even be certain types of moves they want him to limit for now to avoid reinjury. But that's just a guess.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Good find. May be the coaches giving reps to guys that are "buying" in. The lack of reps may or may not motivate Dareus to play at a higher level. And then again, it could be a limitation of reps due to his hip issue that popped up on the injury report.

I think the fact that they were giving him oxygen on the sideline at sea level has some bearing on interpretation here. Either his injury precluded him from really being in game shape (but what about all the SOFTA stuff like weightless treadmills and pool workouts?) or he hasn't done all that he could to stay in game shape.

I'm guessing the former - all the weightless running in the world doesn't prepare you for actually playing. And I suspect they had him on a pitch count, and there may even be certain types of moves they want him to limit for now to avoid reinjury. But that's just a guess.

Good find. May be the coaches giving reps to guys that are "buying" in. The lack of reps may or may not motivate Dareus to play at a higher level. And then again, it could be a limitation of reps due to his hip issue that popped up on the injury report.

That's my hope too, that he's just not in game shape due to the injury and the coaching staff is being smart by slowly bringing him back like they are with Corey Glenn (and others).

But then I think, well why wouldn't they just say that like they have with bringing Glenn back slowly?

It was only 1 game though. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions from it. Dareus did have a legitimate injury so it's very possible that he's just not back in game shape yet, so I'll go with that for now... lol

Translation: I have to keep Mr. Big Puff Tub O'Goo happy so I can maybe get a few plays out of him before we have to cut his ass and take the cap hit ;-) Love the Randy Smith card, BTW...

Didn't he say some good things about Sammy right befor they traded him. Grain of salt.

Except, if you listen to McDermott in the PC, he wasn't asked about Dareus specifically...he was the first player the coach mentioned in praising the effort of his defense. I suppose, that could be part of some ongoing attempt to get Marcell to buy in, but he went to some lengths to praise his performance.