Article: "If the Bills Aren't Tanking, What Are They Doing?&#3

Jimmy Johnson tanked in 1989 after inheriting the Cowboy mess; Jerry Jones cleaned house from top to bottom and the organization needed it (Bills 2017)! Bill Polian once stated that the Bills hung onto fan favorites even though it hurt the team in the short and long term. If anyone posting really thinks the Bills, at any time since the end of the 2016 season were playoff contenders, you are smoking crack. For 17 years I have seen childish optimism overcome by realism in December; this house cleaning is needed. I would rather root for the current path ending up 2 - 14 then to watch the ineptness and accepted mediocrity of the last 17 years and end up a putrid 7 - 9 with the old postings - "we are so close." We are not now and have not been!

wrong. 7-9 is close, 9-7 is very close. we have been close or very close 5 or 6 years during the drought ,and if not for biased refs we would have made the playoffs once or twice and thus-no drought. Stop trying to act like you knew the whole time and we are idiots for believing they had a chance, they did. Referencing the cowboys also isnt relevant, lots of regimes clean house and suck afterwards. Glad you know some football history, doesnt make you Nostre Dumbas. Or does it?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people Beae has brought on are highly regarded. Several have been mentioned as potential GM candidates themselves. Yes they have to hit on draft picks. No there are not more holes than picks unless you believe they have to turn things over in one year.

this is true. especially the skill sets they brought in regarding staffing. I expect some staffing adjustments next season, and that is par when developing the core.

Beane has created one hell of a Scouting Team. We just do not realize it yet.. Might very well be top notch in personnel and method.

I am forced to wait till next season to take notice of what those folks are capable of.

we talk about patience and letting a staff develop? Rough so far , but coherent.

seems right now they are doing what they are saying.

sure i have arguments with some moves, but i gotta let it roll

ps watch the vid for fun and amusement

Edited by 3rdand12

Typical #'s as some "older guys have fewer yrs in the league

Ages - 30 to 34

10 w/ 8 to 12 yrs exp

Ages - 27 to 29

17 w/ 6 to 9 yrs exp

Ages - 22 to 26

26 w/ 0 to 5 yrs exp

The majority of this team in new blood or guys getting into or in their prime.

Come on Bills ShadyBillsFan. Stop trying to confuse us with facts.

By giving the young guys role models within the locker room to show them the way. These guys also happen to be the best players on the team.

No, they have not "devastated" the young talent on the team. That's ridiculous and more drama queen ranting.

If you count Sammy as two, between cuts, trades and just letting people walk we let 4 first round picks and 5 second rounders leave this offseason. While I'm not stressing on some, that is a HUGE void in the team building structure

If you count Sammy as two, between cuts, trades and just letting people walk we let 4 first round picks and 5 second rounders leave this offseason. While I'm not stressing on some, that is a HUGE void in the team building structure

I would argue your Sammy point but that data is interesting. It argues more for ineffectiveness of previous management vs. an issue with current management.

I would argue your Sammy point but that data is interesting. It argues more for ineffectiveness of previous management vs. an issue with current management.

Sammy semantics aside as my point was the wide volume of early rounds no longer represented.... so quibbling changes little--

If most contribute elsewhere would it be change your argument?

Sammy semantics aside as my point was the wide volume of early rounds no longer represented.... so quibbling changes little--

If most contribute elsewhere would it be change your argument?

If they did so. I know for example Koandijo got cut. Sammy and Darby we'll see. EJ is a backup. How far back did you go?

I'm not sure it's fair to say we let some guys go in certain cases. Gilmore and Woods were free agents, and I know Whaley tried to get a deal done. Some guys simply opt to test the market. Like how we got Hyde. That's just part of NFL life.

Why would they tell anyone?

Do companies go around giving away their patents or financial strategy plans?

Why do fans and the media feel the Bills owe them a detailed plan of action?

Companies do typically have a public Vision Statement and Mission Statement, which detail broadly what they want to do and how they want to do it. To me, that's analogous to "the process", except that companies actually write a mission statement. McDermott is essentially telling everyone to trust his mission statement, but he hasn't (to my knowledge) actually written one.

The stuff you're referring to would be more analogous to valuable players under contract or gameplans. If McDermott leads us to perennial success, I won't care that he's a pile of nothing, but until I see results, I'll be skeptical.

Companies do typically have a public Vision Statement and Mission Statement, which detail broadly what they want to do and how they want to do it. To me, that's analogous to "the process", except that companies actually write a mission statement. McDermott is essentially telling everyone to trust his mission statement, but he hasn't (to my knowledge) actually written one.

The stuff you're referring to would be more analogous to valuable players under contract or gameplans. If McDermott leads us to perennial success, I won't care that he's a pile of nothing, but until I see results, I'll be skeptical.

Publicly traded ones do. I doubt the Bills would make theirs public. We'll see how these guys do. I do think they have a very definitive idea how a team should be built and now they get to see if they're right.

If anything what you cited was an indictment of previous Bills personnel decisions. The fact that we used 2 first rounders for Sammy when we could have stayed put and gotten OBJ, Mike or Benjamin will go down as a colossal failure from Whaley.

Lordy, are you ever repetitive. Can you ever have a different post than" I hate what McBeane is doing, they are idiots"

We get it, we don't need to see it in EVERY SINGLE THREAD

Well ya' know........if you and Wayne Arnold would just contribute your opinion from time to time......Scott wouldn't have to carry the conversation.

Yes......I am sayin' it........don't claim you hate the repetitiveness when you just hate the message. :thumbsup:

Well ya' know........if you and Wayne Arnold would just contribute your opinion from time to time......Scott wouldn't have to carry the conversation.

Yes......I am sayin' it........don't claim you hate the repetitiveness when you just hate the message. :thumbsup:

Speaking for myself, it's the incessant mindless repetitiveness.

The opportunity to tank left the building when Rex was fired. You aren't going to intentionally tank a season in the first year of the head coach who you want to be here for a long time. That would leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouths - players and fans alike.

I can't believe this is so hard for so many to grasp.

It's obvious that this team is rebuilding (only six drafted players remain from the previous front office) while simultaneously leaving the foundation of veteran leadership (Kyle, Lorenzo, Wood, Shady, Tolbert, Dimarco, Incognito, Ducasse, etc.) who all fit the criteria of what Beane and McDermott want to establish within the organization.

Since when does a team have to tank in order to rebuild? Can you honestly establish a winning culture by purposely trying to lose in Year #1?

Wayne often has good things to say, and this is no exception. (I disagree some about first-round QBs - yes, they're a crap shoot, but there's no denying that first round is where you have to look for QBs. After that, getting a QB is a total shot in the dark.)

Otherwise he's right. The notion that no first-year coach can afford to tank is a good one. That's a really important point.

I think Beane and McD have a philosophy that they feel strongly about. It has several points, and I don't know all of them, but I know some.

One is that they are strong believers that the most important players on the team are the ones who play closest to the ball - offensive and defensive line and quarterback. How can you tell? Look at the major moves: Watkins gone for a player and pick before he hit free agency, because they won't pay a wideout what Watkins will get. Gilmore gone before that, same reason. Darby gone, because he was going to be next. Woods contract extended. Safeties play far from the ball; they acquired good byt not great guys there, because they don't wan to spend at that position. Look at the team - offensive line and defensive line in tact, starting QB is the best they could do this year.

A second is that they want to build through the draft. They've said that over and over. Why? Because you can get cheap talent in the draft.

A third is that system, and guys who commit to the system, is more important than talent. Trust the process. Not that talent doesn't matter, but if the guy is fully bought into the system, Beane and McD won't keep him around. There were little rumors, unsubstantiated, about each of Watkins, Gilmore and Darby, that they weren't team players. Tolbert, Webb, Hyde and several others were brought in because of their known commitment to process.

McD believes he can win now, because he believes in process over talent. He believes he can win the future, because Beane won't break the bank on guys who play away from the ball, like Watkins, Darby and Gilmore and because Beane is collecting a lot of draft picks.

BIlls might not win a lot this season, but they aren't tanking. If McD is going to be a great head coach, he might even win a lot this season. Probably not, but it's possible. If he's going to be great, he should win next season, because he will have a team full of guys who buy into what he's doing.

Speaking for myself, it's the incessant mindless repetitiveness.

You mean Wayne?

Oh yeah, that's right.......you share his opinion.

It's just another form of a shout-down.

If you think a poster never has a different take and you don't like the takes, ignore them or put the poster on ignore so you can't see their posts........complaining about things that you WISH could be changed at OBD is fair game on TSW.........complaining about things you CAN change is just bitchin for bitchass sake......just DO IT. :lol::doh:

*HOMER ALERT*

There is not one starting position change that I dont like better than 2016:

Matthews over Watkins

Jones over Woods

Holmes over Hunter/Goodwin

White over Gilmore

Gaines over Darby

Hyde over Williams

Poyer over Graham/Rambo

Tolbert/Dimarco over Felton

Hauskas over Carpenter

And 43 personnel is much better than 34 with Kyle/Darius in the middle, Hughes/Lawson on the edge and Brown as a true MLB and Lorenzo outside.

And Oline and Dline have continuity with all starters returning.

Oh and we got a bunch of draft picks.

WIN NOW AND WIN LATER Y'ALL.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'