If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

BADOLBILZ

I would much rather see the Bills sign Cousins as a FA, no matter the cost, than give up a bunch of picks for Luck.

And how exactly do you expect the Bills to be able to afford the contract that Cousins will be demanding? Do you release every veteran on the team and go with rookies and 2nd year players?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put anything past Irsay. It sounds crazy, but .....Seriously what have they won with Luck?

Really? They were in the AFC championship game two years ago. 3 playoff appearances in 5 years and the last two season Luck has been held together by duct tape. The colts roster might be the worst in the league and without Luck they pick top 5 more often than not.

Imagine how good h'ed be with an offensive line

I was on about Cousins not Luck. Luck is certainly a franchise guy on a dreadfully built team.

....and Grigson blamed the Luck extension (as orchestrated by Irsay) as to why he couldn't afford to stock the team with quality players.....and now the Browns hired this loser....he did squat in FIVE years and fingers Luck...classy........

And how exactly do you expect the Bills to be able to afford the contract that Cousins will be demanding? Do you release every veteran on the team and go with rookies and 2nd year players?

The Bills will have plenty of cap room in 2018, especially without having to sign Watkins. And how much more cap space would Cousins take up than Luck?

I'm gonna wait on that to see how he plays this year. I'm still just not quite sold on him as a franchise guy and I can't put my finger on what it is.

I have the same feeling about Luck.

I have the same feeling about Luck.

That is fair enough and I was trying to say that to Alpha in the Luck thread last week. Sometimes your gut just tells you something and there is no point trying to construct arguments based on numbers and strength of opposition etc... because they invariably fail to prove a gut reaction. I accept on Cousins that the evidence on balance points to him being a franchise QB. And yet I can't quite get myself there on him at this point.

The Bills will have plenty of cap room in 2018, especially without having to sign Watkins. And how much more cap space would Cousins take up than Luck?

Look at the deal Stafford just got and look at the deal that Carr recently got. Do you think Cousins would accept anything less than that?

Look at the deal Stafford just got and look at the deal that Carr recently got. Do you think Cousins would accept anything less than that?

No, I don't. He will want--and get--top dollar. But the Bills could afford it. Nevertheless, I think there is little chance the Bills could sign him.

That is fair enough and I was trying to say that to Alpha in the Luck thread last week. Sometimes your gut just tells you something and there is no point trying to construct arguments based on numbers and strength of opposition etc... because they invariably fail to prove a gut reaction. I accept on Cousins that the evidence on balance points to him being a franchise QB. And yet I can't quite get myself there on him at this point.

Maybe it's because he was a fourth round draft pick who sat for a few years before getting his chance, due to the owner's infatuation with RGIII. And there were times early on when Cousins was a turnover machine--not unlike Luck.

If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

No. Seriously, just no.

He's 27 years old and elite. You simply don't trade that guy.

If they did a total rebuild they would do it around him.

Stranger things have happened.

Like Drew Bledsoe.........an unquestioned, extremely popular, durable, mid-aged franchise QB with a SB appearance in his recent past and just recently rewarded with a mega-contract........being dealt to a division rival.

Nobody in NE was selling Bledsoe down the road until Brady actually won the SB.

A lot can happen between now and April.

It may not be the Bills but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts deal him if they get another young stud QB lined up.

That isn't stranger. It just isn't.

The Pats got rid of Bledsoe because they had Brady, who had already proved himself as a guy you can win a Super Bowl with. I suppose if Indy won a Super Bowl this year with whoever is Luck's backup then you could argue that getting rid of Bledsoe was stranger. Till then, not even close.

In this scenario there are at least 2 blue chip QB's available......maybe the top 3 picks.....so the most desperate and well armed of trade partners are getting their QB for the price of 1 draft pick............and perhaps there is even depth with 5 total in the top 10.

If the Colts held the #1 overall I think they'd be very tempted to re-set........especially with the LOVE teams have for those unspent draft picks.......that player not yet taken is always so alluring to GM's it seems.

It would be interesting to see if the Colts somehow got the number 1 pick how they would approach it. Luck is still very young but if you could get from the Bills lets say hypothetically pick 10 (Bills 1st round pick) pick 24 (Chiefs 1st round pick) pick 42 (Bills 2nd round pick) pick 74 (Bills 3rd round pick) and the Bills 2019 1st for Luck would you do that? Would you take a QB 1st overall and then have 2 more 1st round picks and an additional 2nd and 3rd to build around that young QB and pocket a additional 1st the next year?

Or would you take those loaded picks for pick number 1 and use those picks to rebuild around Luck? It would make more sense to build around Luck since he is a much more known entity and still young but teams get enamored with QB's coming out of the draft sometimes.

I would be concerned trading away a lot of that draft capital for Luck since Luck is dealing with a major injury and any team willing to trade away a young good QB is concerning. But if Luck were medically cleared I would do that trade in a heartbeat. That would still leave the Bills with a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the draft to add some young talent, it wouldn't be a complete bankrupt of draft choices.

Edited by billsfan89

The focus on which team will finish DFL in the NFL this year has focused mostly on the Jets.

But is there a WORSE roster than the Colts if Andrew Luck is not on the field?

Suppose Luck can't come back early enough from his shoulder surgery to help the team compete for a playoff spot..........would they shelve him early and go for that #1 overall pick again?

And in a scenario where the first 2-3 picks were considered franchise QB's...........would the Colts then trade Andrew Luck to get a pile of draft picks and long term cap saving to try to re-build their roster and use that #1 pick on Darnold or Chosen Rosen?

Just a thought I haven't seen kicked around.....but if the Bills play Jauron-ball and land outside of the top 5 picks........it's not really THAT unrealistic of a scenario that they could be a good trade partner with Indy in a situation where other QB-desperate teams like the Jets and Browns get their QB satisfaction at the top of the draft.

Long shot but something to think about.........especially because there is just a very weird feel around what is going on in Indy.........it feels strangely like Manning-neck 2.0.

And if you are the Colts.......and your tank job falls short of completion.......your consolation prize is high picks to pair up with Luck in an increasingly competitive division.

I don't know. If I were the Colts I would be thoroughly unimpressed with what I have got from Luck to date compared to what I thought I was going to get. Has really only had one outstanding season so far. He is coming off shoulder issues. He has only reached 1 AFC Championship game. Has a starting record of 10-12 the last two seasons with no playoffs. Now, granted, he is still ONLY 27. A lot of prime years left. But, If I can get multiple first round picks (I'm thinking 3 one of which is top 2 or 3 to guarantee you get one of the QBs you want) and maybe a 2 and a 3, I'm heavily considering moving him. You mention the cap savings, you get what would be a highly touted QB prospect, and then you get to fill so many holes with those extra picks. A smart GM trades those picks for even more picks. Now, you are building a potential dynasty, not a roster solely dependent on a heroic performance by a QB who hasn't been able to do it as of late.

Maybe it's because he was a fourth round draft pick who sat for a few years before getting his chance, due to the owner's infatuation with RGIII. And there were times early on when Cousins was a turnover machine--not unlike Luck.

No, it's not that. It is something about him. Him the person maybe as much as him the Quarterback. I don't know. It is really difficult to put my finger on.

Ok...ironically, I get why you would propose this question, but at the same time I don't know why you would ask this question as I don't know how it would make sense for us to do it.

1. In your scenario, there is an Elite QB prospect available early in the draft. One we could compete for with our own draft slot if we have a rough year, or we have the draft assets to go hard for with a trade. Truth is, there are multiple QB's in next years draft that could be highly coveted come draft time.

2. Luck has a lot of fleas on him at this point: MASSIVE cap choking contract. Poor showings in the postseason. 105 INTs & Fumbles in just 76 career games. Mistake prone and inconsistent against better competition. MOST IMPORTANTLY, he has serious durability concerns moving forward in his career.

So not sure how becoming the next version of the Colts changes anything for us. We would have a MASSIVE contract invested in a QB with serious ball security issues and durability issues who already has proven can't carry a bad roster against good competition. So what good is it for us to give up all those assets for him when it puts us back in the same position the Colts are in? I would hate this move big time. Yes, he would be the best QB here since Kelly, but I don't think we are much better of a team because we are going to lose players on this roster to absorb him and lose the draft assets to fill in around him as well.

I believe the team trading him takes on a good portion of the cap hit because of the guaranteed money. Not positive though.

I believe the team trading him takes on a good portion of the cap hit because of the guaranteed money. Not positive though.

I think you are incorrect. It is called dead money for a reason. It applies to trading and/or cutting a player.

Teams have to eat it all in one year or spread it over 2 seasons if the player is designated as a June 1st cut (I think.)

I think you are incorrect. It is called dead money for a reason. It applies to trading and/or cutting a player.

Teams have to eat it all in one year or spread it over 2 seasons if the player is designated as a June 1st cut (I think.)

Yeah, that is what I am saying, so the Bills would be off the hook for that money if we traded for him. I thought that poster was saying it was a hurdle to the Bills getting him, not that it was a hurdle for the Colts dealing him.

Edited by Mark80

I don't know. If I were the Colts I would be thoroughly unimpressed with what I have got from Luck to date compared to what I thought I was going to get. Has really only had one outstanding season so far. He is coming off shoulder issues. He has only reached 1 AFC Championship game. Has a starting record of 10-12 the last two seasons with no playoffs. Now, granted, he is still ONLY 27. A lot of prime years left. But, If I can get multiple first round picks (I'm thinking 3 one of which is top 2 or 3 to guarantee you get one of the QBs you want) and maybe a 2 and a 3, I'm heavily considering moving him. You mention the cap savings, you get what would be a highly touted QB prospect, and then you get to fill so many holes with those extra picks. A smart GM trades those picks for even more picks. Now, you are building a potential dynasty, not a roster solely dependent on a heroic performance by a QB who hasn't been able to do it as of late.

I live just outside Indy so I get to read a lot of Colts stuff, and have been forced to watch the Colts when not watching the Bills. Luck really is the real deal. He is tough, smart, great arm, great accuracy, good leadership skills. What he is is a walking advertisement for why you have to have a team and not just a QB to succeed in the NFL. The GM who gave him the huge deal, Grigson, did a terrible job putting together any semblance of a team around him. Their O line has been horrific, not much help at all on the defensive side. And because of that Luck had everything put on his shoulders, and to be fair he many times got too aggressive on throws, had bad decisions leading to picks, etc. But he is really, really good. Just needs a team around him to show that even more.

I said above he is Irsay's guy. Seeing what Irsay says about the kid I cannot fathom him ever being traded.

Yeah, that is what I am saying, so the Bills would be off the hook for that money if we traded for him. I thought that poster was saying it was a hurdle to the Bills getting him, not that it was a hurdle for the Colts dealing him.

Gotchya.

I misunderstood your post. Sorry dude. :thumbsup:

Edited by PolishDave