Tropical Storm Irma - In Atlanta

CountDorkula

Think Okeechobee will pop if it takes a Cat 4 hit directly? It's the second biggest lake in US outside of Lake Michigan... The lock and dam operators there gotta be trying to get the lake pool elevation down and dump water to both coasts!

They call it a lake but it really isn't much more than a very large puddle. If the ground level water was not so high it would similar to Minnesota's land of lakes.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They call it a lake but it really isn't much more than a very large puddle. If the ground level water was not so high it would similar to Minnesota's land of lakes.

A rimmed cereal bowl. The levee/dike protects from lake flooding.

Yes. Sea level to 300' along the Mid-Florida ridge and the valley south to everglades is rather flat over all those square miles... Then the groove in the middle... Everglades as a "filter" to the sea. Its reall all mostly under 100'. Orlando 82' Kissimmee 49' Tampa to west is 45' at highest, no way water is going that way. The water will follow the Mid-Ridge to the south. Thay is such a huge population area too... Lots of ag, industry developed and drained. Drained to somewhere and that easy somewhete is south on to the lowlands, prairie, Okeechobee plain.

A rough dike went up in 1910. Then the Hoover dike ringed the lake, completed in 1937:

220px-Army_CoE_sign_Hoover_Dike.jpg

The outlets to both coasts via navigation canals that work hand in hand with Intercoastal Waterway.

I talked to my Buddy down there... They have been emptying the lake since early in the week.

According to CNN (only TV on at work) it has been downgraded to a CAT 3 so maybe subject needs updating?

But it's about to go over the warmest water yet, so no telling how strong it will be when it makes landfall. Hopefully it doesn't gain steam again over that 88 degree water.

Edited by Augie

Last report I heard was it was heading up the West coast of Florida and not up the gut. Stay safe everyone.

The center line of the cone literally goes about a mile or two east of my buddies house. It's actually funny to zoom way in and know the roads! He's on his way to Atlanta. Wise move!

Key West aviation forecast.

Tomorrow:

2AM wind northeast sustained 56 knots gust 70 knots (82mph).

5AM wind northeast sustained 75 gust 95 knots (107mph).

7AM wind north sustained 90 gust 120 knots (138mph).

11AM wind west 75 gust 100 knots (115mph).

It will be worse further north.

Edited by sherpa