PFF names EJ Gaines top CB of preseason

YoloinOhio

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PFF ranking cornerbacks is something that I seriously question and always have. The scheme for each cornerback with the style of play and the opponents that they cover are too variable to draw even comparisons. Although EJ Gaines does remind me of Josh Norman, who I thought was vastly overrated. Such as the case with Antonio Cromartie who was also overrated due to skiing. Cornerbacks can find the right scheme and do very well and be very successful EJ Gaines maybe one of those guys

Hard to find a DB who DIDN'T play well in preseason for Buffalo.

Going to be real hard to top what they've looked like in those games........they've been in great position.......excellent technique......sure tackling......ball hawking.

The problem, of course, is that they will be facing a lot of good QB's in the regular season and the good ones tend to shred up zone defenses.

They should put a donut on Sackenburg though.

Can you tell me which teams went undefeated in the pre-season?

Breaking news: the pre-season means nothing!!!!!

The final score results mean little but the performance of the players during pre season often times does matter.

PFF ranking cornerbacks is something that I seriously question and always have. The scheme for each cornerback with the style of play and the opponents that they cover are too variable to draw even comparisons. Although EJ Gaines does remind me of Josh Norman, who I thought was vastly overrated. Such as the case with Antonio Cromartie who was also overrated due to skiing. Cornerbacks can find the right scheme and do very well and be very successful EJ Gaines maybe one of those guys

I agree that Norman is overrated and isn't as good when asked to be more of a man cover CB. But he was very good in McD's zone scheme.

If J Gaines is the same way, I'm perfectly happy with that. IMO, that's what good coaches do - find players that fit their schemes very well. It would be great if EJ Gaines is able to play at a similar level as Josh Norman in this scheme.

Hey, who knows. It could happen. We can hope, right?

After all, Norman was a 5th round pick that McD played a big role in developing. Hopefully he can do the same with EJ. He does have a pretty decent track record of developing the secondary, so I am hopeful.

No, it's all doom and gloom around here, remember?

Seriously though, instead of having an offense that puts up a lot of points and a defense that just can't hold on for the win (e.g. L37-31 to the Jets; L28-25 to Miami; Loss 31-25 to Seattle, and the list goes on), this year we should see a defense that dominates and an offense that does enough to win. I'm pretty sure we'll see several wins of the 17-3 and 14-10 variety, as well as the occasional game early in the season where we put up 24+ on bad teams (i.e. Jets in week 1). As this season progresses I see the offense getting more comfortable and consistently scoring 2 to 3 TDs and 2 to 3 FGs each week, while it will be rare to see the defense give up more than 21.

I agree that Norman is overrated and isn't as good when asked to be more of a man cover CB. But he was very good in McD's zone scheme.

If J Gaines is the same way, I'm perfectly happy with that. IMO, that's what good coaches do - find players that fit their schemes very well. It would be great if EJ Gaines is able to play at a similar level as Josh Norman in this scheme.

Hey, who knows. It could happen. We can hope, right?

After all, Norman was a 5th round pick that McD played a big role in developing. Hopefully he can do the same with EJ. He does have a pretty decent track record of developing the secondary, so I am hopeful.

Just how nice would it be if the trade turned out that Buffalo got a 25 year Josh Norman 2.0 & a 2nd round pick for Sammy Watkins...