Opening Day....best/worst memories?

Beast

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy

Best:2003: Pats@Buffalo 31-0 drubbing of the Brady and Co.

Worst: 2004: Jags@Bills 13-10 Byron freaking Leftwich leads the Jags on the final drive of the game down by 4pts converting (3) 4th down conversions including a 4th and 23 IIRC and a 4th down on final play of the game for a winning TD as time expires. Simply mind dumbing!!

Honorable mention goes to Denver kicking a GW FG with no time on the clock. WTF!!!!

Best for me had to be 1980 and finally taking down the despised Fish.

Worst was that Denver game when Everett broke his neck and the Broncos ran the FG unit out and kicked the field goal with no time left.

Love opening day!

1980 the best by far. For recent years, I enjoyed the romp in KC.

Juice running wild 1973 versus pats

Did you get a coin that night

Nope, we apparently had a learning curve ragarding arriving on time. We ddin't do the tailgate thing, but going a couple hours earlier would have been wise on the maiden voyage. To be fair, I don't remember ever being late for another game.

'92 v. The Rams. There was absolutely no suspense for weeks leading up to the game. The Players knew we were going to blow out the Rams. The fans Knew we were going to blow out the rams and the rams knew we were going to blow out the rams. The game was beautifully boring. We absolutely annihiliated the rams 40-7.

'92 v. The Rams. There was absolutely no suspense for weeks leading up to the game. The Players knew we were going to blow out the Rams. The fans Knew we were going to blow out the rams and the rams knew we were going to blow out the rams. The game was beautifully boring. We absolutely annihiliated the rams 40-7.

But I left start of 4th to get beers in the lot, missed Loften getting the record. Not a proud"fan moment"

Edited by plenzmd1

Best for me had to be 1980 and finally taking down the despised Fish.

Worst was that Denver game when Everett broke his neck and the Broncos ran the FG unit out and kicked the field goal with no time left.

Love opening day!

Agree to both :thumbsup:

1980 Fish and carrying the goalposts to Ralph.

1974 against the Raiders in the best Monday night football game ever

We give up the lead on a turnover returned for a touchdown and then Fergie brings us back with Ahmad Rashad catching the winning TD against the Raiders. ( I think it was Rashad.... or J.D. Hill). Was a frosh in high school. Fond memories

my bad, i thought the whole "not an opener" part clarified that. i wish that was an opener though. beating miami in the snow just has such a wonderful feeling to it.

the biggest feeling I retained was diving in snow with a pair of binoculars and bruising my sternum

pretty sure I wet myself at some point too.

Edited by 145B4IDIE

The 1992 home opener against the LA Rams. The Bills decimated them and Steve Tasker knocked out the Rams punt returner. That was also the game James Lofton became the all time leader in receiving yardage. It was also my first ever home game.

There are a couple of games that really stand out as terrible home openers but the one I also remember was the 2007 home opener against the Broncos. The Bills were now 8 years from their last playoff birth and Jay Cutler was a rookie. The Bills were leading 14-12 late in the game and the place was absolutely rocking. Jay Cutler gets sacked on 2nd down and throws the ball behind him with less than 2 mins left and it goes out of bounds setting up a 3rd and 20 something. He throws an absolute laser to a Broncos WR and they end up driving down the field and kick a Jason Elam game winning FG to win 15-14. The worst part is it immediately started raining after the kick went through and the game ended

Magic Johnson spent a half on each sideline that game. Crazy how at the time, we all figured he didn't have all that much time to live..........And, it's 25 years later, and he's going strong as ever.

Top 3: '74, '80, '03

Worst:

Went to an opener and seats were on sunny side. They ran out of ice and I got sun stroke. My brother needed to beg for ice to cool me down.

Best:

Went to a game late in season with Fish in town. Was sitting along and ends up the other seats the scalper sold were to Fish fans. Ends up they were nice guys passing bottle of whiskey, etc including me and they really were interested in football not bashing asking lots of questions. After game they asked me about getting out and I asked where they parked. They told me and I said best is to just wait in lot unless they really needed to leave. They told me no they didn't and would restart the grill and invited me. They had excellent food, good beer (not Canadian or German but not Genesee) and asked if I wanted to join them in some penny-nickle-quarter cards. I joined them and took much of the pot before lot started clearing and I told them time to go. They offered me a ride to my car and I said I did not have one but walked from my mom's, a mile and half away and I could call her for a ride. They gave me a ride home, gave me some of the food and took my number in case we would both be going to a game again. Did never hear from them but pot paid for my ticket.

Agree to both :thumbsup:

We give up the lead on a turnover returned for a touchdown and then Fergie brings us back with Ahmad Rashad catching the winning TD against the Raiders. ( I think it was Rashad.... or J.D. Hill). Was a frosh in high school. Fond memories

It was Rashad. I was sitting right in the corner of the end zone where he made the catch. And Blanda missed a FG after that. Craziest 2 minutes of a football game I ever saw.