Opening Day....best/worst memories?

Beast

Home Openers attending in person only

Worst: 1979 Dempsey missing a 30 some yarder to end the streak...freaking as cold as I have ever been at a football game

Best : 1980 Ending the Streak!!!!

Same criteria:

Worst: '79 is up there but I was only 10. Gotta go with a tie between the Denver FG with no time left ('07) or the Jets' OT kickoff return TD ('02).

Best: '91 shootout vs. Fish was awesome; '08 shocker vs. Seattle is up there. Most recently, I'll go with '11 comeback vs. Raiders.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simultaneously best and worst game was against the broncos. Watch Everett break his neck and lost the game on a last second field goal.

Didn't realize they lost the game at the end because I was making out with some Canadian chick I had just met.

Ahhh too be young again.

My least favorite opener is recent, and it's simply because I went to the game on opponent's turf -- the one the Jets won 48-28. It was actually mostly fun as the Jets fans were a bit disarmed by our group of self-deprecating Bills fans, but still a pretty dreadful game of the worst sort. Beyond being so damn sloppy and Fitz having one of the worst games of his career, there was the brief tease that they would come back. Also, the decision to walk drunk along the ugly rt. 120 corridor after a loss to get to the nearest civilization was not all that joyful of a choice.

The opening day loss, also to the Jets, after the four Super Bowls was also pretty dreadful. Watched the game at some Tonawanda bar and remember on one of the first plays yelling about grounding, and someone behind me, with viciousness, yelling that "oh, he was in the pocket you idiot." And then we lost 23-3.

My favorite win is pretty easy, and has been mentioned. It's hard to beat (at least as it happened) the 31-0, Lawyer Milloy Shares His Secrets game. I watched it at McFadden's, the Bills Backer bar in NYC, and it felt like an exorcism. We were headed back to prominence and the New England dominance was done. Sigh. That season's ender has to be the worst of a bad bunch. It's almost as if Bill purposely ran the score to 31-0 to show how completely that early start had been erased.

'92 v. The Rams. There was absolutely no suspense for weeks leading up to the game. The Players knew we were going to blow out the Rams. The fans Knew we were going to blow out the rams and the rams knew we were going to blow out the rams. The game was beautifully boring. We absolutely annihiliated the rams 40-7.

May next Sunday be just as boring!

Best memory was the 31-0 beat down of the Pats. The Bills roster was loaded with big name players & we just added Spikes. I thought the Bills finally arrived.

Worst memory, the year before, Bledsoe's first game, tied it up late on Moulds TD down the seam to send it in overtime. Crowd rocking, Morton returns the kickoff in OT. Couldn't believe it. It was like a funeral procession walking out of the stadium. I get home, I was just married the year before. We bought our house & every time I would let myself in the side door by the neighbors fence my neighbor's dog would jump up on the fence start barking & scare the crap out of me. It never failed. Well I get home from the game, pissed off, & in no mood. Sure enough I went to let myself in & the dog jumped on the fence & scarred the crap out of me. I looked at him & said "not today." Went in the house got a dozen eggs, went outside by the fence, & when he jumped up I pelted him from point blank range with 6 or 7 jumbo grade A eggs right in the snout. He went wimpering away. About a 15 minutes later, there is my neighbor at the front door reaming me out. We actually almost got in a fist fight. My wife was mortified, she wouldn't talk to me for 3 weeks.

Magic Johnson spent a half on each sideline that game. Crazy how at the time, we all figured he didn't have all that much time to live..........And, it's 25 years later, and he's going strong as ever.

Top 3: '74, '80, '03

Also crazy that it shows how much more relevant the Bills were back then that Magic Johnson would even be in Buffalo