Opening Day....best/worst memories?

Beast

Best for me had to be 1980 and finally taking down the despised Fish.

Worst was that Denver game when Everett broke his neck and the Broncos ran the FG unit out and kicked the field goal with no time left.

Love opening day!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...worst was probably the Jets game with Bledsoe leading us back to tie late only to see Morton return a kickoff on the opening play in OT for a TD, his second kick return TD of the game...or the McKelvin fumble game(I think that was week 1 wasn't it?)

Best(at least of recent memory) might have been the KC game where we went into Arrowhead and demolished the Chiefs...and of course who can forget the Lawyer Milloy game thrashing we laid on Tom Brady 31-0...

Edited by matter2003

Few years ago week 2 home opener vs the Fish after it became official that Pegulas got the team. Game wasn't particularly thrilling but atmosphere was pretty cool.

Rex's first game where we smashed the Colts was pretty awesome also. Too bad that was the high point.

As pointed out earlier the Broncos game stands out as the worst in recent memory.

31 - 0

big sam adams rumbling into the endzone. it took an eternity...i was in the stadium and savored every damn second of that! every. damn. second.

Best was the opener in 2003. Killed the Pats, made the cover of SI. The only downer was they killed us, by the same score late in the season. Thanks Greggggggg!

yeah, but for that day, we were on top of the world!

It was pre-season, but the day in '73 when Rich Stadium opened. It was all new and traffic was a mess. We were waiting to get through the gates when the kickoff roar went up.....then was quickly silenced by a punch in the gut. I think it was Herb Mulkey of the Redskins who returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Way to break in the new place..... :sick:

The 1992 home opener against the LA Rams. The Bills decimated them and Steve Tasker knocked out the Rams punt returner. That was also the game James Lofton became the all time leader in receiving yardage. It was also my first ever home game.

There are a couple of games that really stand out as terrible home openers but the one I also remember was the 2007 home opener against the Broncos. The Bills were now 8 years from their last playoff birth and Jay Cutler was a rookie. The Bills were leading 14-12 late in the game and the place was absolutely rocking. Jay Cutler gets sacked on 2nd down and throws the ball behind him with less than 2 mins left and it goes out of bounds setting up a 3rd and 20 something. He throws an absolute laser to a Broncos WR and they end up driving down the field and kick a Jason Elam game winning FG to win 15-14. The worst part is it immediately started raining after the kick went through and the game ended

Juice running wild 1973 versus pats

It was pre-season, but the day in '73 when Rich Stadium opened. It was all new and traffic was a mess. We were waiting to get through the gates when the kickoff roar went up.....then was quickly silenced by a punch in the gut. I think it was Herb Mulkey of the Redskins who returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Way to break in the new place..... :sick:

Did you get a coin that night