NFL Exec's on each team's weakness

Two Things:

1. The one or two 30+ yd completions per game is nowhere near as important as moving the chains with the short to intermediate throws this team has shown the ability to complete

AS LONG AS

2. This sieve of an o line gives Tyrod or Nate more than half a second to throw the ball

Have they shown the ability to complete those? Anyway, it's interesting that OC Dennison says he believes in the Shanahan Philosophy" that you NEED 4 big passing plays to win a football game. So he says that he wants to try about 8 of those plays. I'd say in the modern NFL that Shanahan school of thought is probably correct.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Ryan

Carr

Newton

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Luck

Rivers

Cousins

Stafford

-I take these 12 with no questions before Flacco. Then add in Manning, Winston, Mariota, Smith. Flacco isn't much better than Tannehill or Taylor imo

I'd take Flacco ahead of Newton, Cousins, Stafford and maybe Rivers that would put him at 9 or 10.

Charles Clay should be "that guy."

He has been grossly underutilized. His RAC ability is awesome and he's a bad matchup for most LBs/DBs.

His stiff arm on the safety(?) in the last game was awesome. First down! The dude can make plays and he's being paid to make plays.

Unfortunately, Clay will never be the guy as long as Tyrod has something to say about it.

ESPN put out a piece on each team's weaknesses based on other NFL Executive's opinions.

For the Bills:

The worry: Buffalo lacks sufficient playmaking ability in the passing game after trading Sammy Watkins and losing Anquan Boldin to retirement.

Exec unfiltered: "They traded away their most explosive receiver [Watkins], and even though he was often hurt, when you get rid of that guy, who is your guy? You don't have Robert Woods, you don't have Watkins. Jordan Matthewsis not an explosive guy. He is just a smart, tough possession receiver. Where do they get chunk yardage from in the passing game?"

Another thing I found interesting is that Baltimore's worry sounds like where a lot of us Bills fans have been.

Baltimore Ravens

The worry: Baltimore is spinning its wheels as a team that is not really rebuilding but not really contending.

Exec unfiltered: "I might rather be in the Browns' situation than be in Baltimore's situation. Baltimore is just stuck. They are paying Jimmy Smith like he is a top-five corner, but he is not. They are paying Joe Flacco like he is a top-five QB, but he is not. You have some old parts like Terrell Suggs getting phased out, and then they just have so many injuries. At least Cleveland has some flexibility."

Aren't these 2 different team evaluations contradicting each other? The exec blasts Baltimore for paying too much for players while they are not a contender. He thinks the Browns have a better situation - more "flexibility". But then blasts the Bills for getting rid of Sammy. We're not contending, nor will we be in the next 3 years, but he wants us to get into a situation where we would give "top 5" money" to a guy who is "often hurt"?

This is why I urge fans (esp at draft time) to ignore the damn media, they don't know crap. We need RG and RT shored up before WR. We need a damn QB who can get whomever we have at WR the ball.

Sure WR will be addressed next offseason, but its not our worst position

Aren't these 2 different team evaluations contradicting each other? The exec blasts Baltimore for paying too much for players while they are not a contender. He thinks the Browns have a better situation - more "flexibility". But then blasts the Bills for getting rid of Sammy. We're not contending, nor will we be in the next 3 years, but he wants us to get into a situation where we would give "top 5" money" to a guy who is "often hurt"?

Yep. These "evaluations" are crap

This is why I urge fans (esp at draft time) to ignore the damn media, they don't know crap. We need RG and RT shored up before WR. We need a damn QB who can get whomever we have at WR the ball.

Sure WR will be addressed next offseason, but its not our worst position

Yep. These "evaluations" are crap

Not only that, but considering the NFL season is a big zero sum game, statistically half of "NFL execs" are not good at what they do. Somehow though, we are supposed to care what one anonymous one says.

1. Disagree. Both are very important and a deep threat can immeasurably help the short passing game. That said, I absolutely agree with the Sammy move. Zay Jones has speed and can fill that role.

2. The OL and QB have to both do their jobs. The OL has to give the QB time and the QB has to get the ball out.

Zay I'd not a speed receiver at all he is a possession receiver. He is not a deep threat and can't get separation. Here is what his NFL.com draft profile says:

Play speed is very average. Lacks vertical push to force cornerbacks to open and run early and doesn't have second gear to separate from coverage down the field. Thin frame. Struggles to find clean releases against press coverage due to play strength and foot quickness. High-volume production helped by high percentage of short throws and wide receiver screens. Sticky out of breaks and unable to shake tight coverage. Limited amount of burst and wiggle after the catch and won't create much more than is there. Not overly-committed as a run blocker.

I guess he sees it as an outsider would. Without a pre conceived bias. There is a difference between paying top 5 money to guys that don't have top 5 skill, and paying a guy with top 5 skill that had an injury.

Zay I'd not a speed receiver at all he is a possession receiver. He is not a deep threat and can't get separation. Here is what his NFL.com draft profile says:

Play speed is very average. Lacks vertical push to force cornerbacks to open and run early and doesn't have second gear to separate from coverage down the field. Thin frame. Struggles to find clean releases against press coverage due to play strength and foot quickness. High-volume production helped by high percentage of short throws and wide receiver screens. Sticky out of breaks and unable to shake tight coverage. Limited amount of burst and wiggle after the catch and won't create much more than is there. Not overly-committed as a run blocker.

That is my concern with Jones. Sammy had a way of gliding through routes and always seemed to get open. We'll see if Jones has that ability to get off the line right away or has the typical rookie struggles.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Ryan

Carr

Newton

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Luck

Rivers

Cousins

Stafford

-I take these 12 with no questions before Flacco. Then add in Manning, Winston, Mariota, Smith. Flacco isn't much better than Tannehill or Taylor imo

I wouldn't dismiss Flacco over Rivers, Cousins, or Stafford out of hand but I think he's definitely better than Newton. The reason Baltimore pays Flacco is because he's a good enough tier of quarterback to stabilize the franchise. They can't bottom out because Flacco is too good, but they haven't drafted well enough to build a team. I get the dilemma, but they've got a chance as long as Flacco is there.

Flacco is much better than Taylor or Tannehill and no executive worth any salt would rather have Cleveland's situation than Baltimore.

ESPN put out a piece on each team's weaknesses based on other NFL Executive's opinions.

For the Bills:

The worry: Buffalo lacks sufficient playmaking ability in the passing game after trading Sammy Watkins and losing Anquan Boldin to retirement.

Exec unfiltered: "They traded away their most explosive receiver [Watkins], and even though he was often hurt, when you get rid of that guy, who is your guy? You don't have Robert Woods, you don't have Watkins. Jordan Matthewsis not an explosive guy. He is just a smart, tough possession receiver. Where do they get chunk yardage from in the passing game?"

+100,000.

Who writes this crap? If we were counting on 37 year old Anquan Boldin for anything other than leadership and as a possession WR then we were doomed from the get go. This whole "we don't have a deep threat", Mathews runs a 4.48 40, Zay Jones 4.47 40 time compared to Watkins 4.40 40 time, now that is straight line speed so running in a straight line there is no way .07 seconds is that much noticeable from Matthews to Watkins. We also have Charles Clay who if used wisely which TE Julius Thomas was in Denver's scheme can have the same type of impact no doubt in my mind. There are enough weapons here to do damage and an elite running game to boot.

Two Things:

1. The one or two 30+ yd completions per game is nowhere near as important as moving the chains with the short to intermediate throws this team has shown the ability to complete

AS LONG AS

2. This sieve of an o line gives Tyrod or Nate more than half a second to throw the ball

Equally, the threat of those one or two 30+ yard completions per game is hugely important. It backs up the safeties and corners which opens up the short to intermediate passing game and the run game. It really is huge.

My guess is that they have guys (Powell, for ex.) who can be a threat for long balls, but nobody who will make teams worry about it consistently.

But the Bills don't have one weakness right now, they've got a lot. It's what happens when you trade away picks, switch schemes and bring in a new coach with yet another new scheme. You just have to hope that they can build off this.

I wouldn't dismiss Flacco over Rivers, Cousins, or Stafford out of hand but I think he's definitely better than Newton. The reason Baltimore pays Flacco is because he's a good enough tier of quarterback to stabilize the franchise. They can't bottom out because Flacco is too good, but they haven't drafted well enough to build a team. I get the dilemma, but they've got a chance as long as Flacco is there.

Flacco is much better than Taylor or Tannehill and no executive worth any salt would rather have Cleveland's situation than Baltimore.

Your post was reasonable till the last sentence.

Cleveland's situation looks pretty good indeed for the future. Plenty of teams and execs know that.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Ryan

Carr

Newton

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Luck

Rivers

Cousins

Stafford

rivers, Newton and Stafford aren't winners. Who needs a loser?