Just talked to a former player from the SB years

major

Whaley left Beane with a steaming pile of dog crap.

Yet there are people who expected him to look at the pile and think to himself that he can immediately turn it into apple pie.

You exaggerate. The team was not devoid of talent. It has been a middle tiered team at least for the last few seasons.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the Talent and the lack of direction predated Whaley, but he didn't do much to change it.

He wasn't given the authority like Tim Murray was as Sabres' GM or now at OBD with McBeane. I think he upped the talent level within the parameters of his authority. Mistakes were made of course, especially with regard to not acquiring a QB of the future.

Whaley left Beane with a steaming pile of dog crap.

Yet there are people who expected him to look at the pile and think to himself that he can immediately turn it into apple pie.

Whaley left him a .500 team needing new coaching staff. Not exactly a steaming pile that you claim it to be.

Lol ... and week one will be here soon enough. We will be looking toward the draft before Halloween[/quot

We lose week one against the Jets and this board will implode

It would be the best loss this franchise has ever had. The team should be immediately put on the wall of fame.

Let MCD and Beane build the team they want to build. I dont think we have ever seen a GM come in and make as many moves as Beane has. I like all the draft picks they are collecting which will hopefully translate to at least 3 long term starters. I am willing to wait 2 or 3 yrs to see what kind of team we have then.....not because I want to, but because I have no other choice.

It was a talented team that lacked direction.

Exactly!

I was no Doug Marrone fan, but this team was very close to being a legit contender, before Hurricane Rex came in and destroyed it. All they really needed to do was to dump motor-mouth Ryan, get somebody in who had a clue on how to run a defense, and mess with the offense as little as possible...not extending Watkins was dumb...trading him for close to nothing was really dumb...and it kind of destroyed any hope for this season. So, instead of being on the cusp of breaking this drought, I am having a hard time envisioning it ending before we get to 20 years.

Whaley wasn't the problem with this team...not throwing in the towel on the new guys yet, but it really is feeling like Chip Kelly in Philadelphia...we now have the smartest guys in the room running the show...

Both the Talent and the lack of direction predated Whaley, but he didn't do much to change it.

Our GM wasn't allowed to pick his own head coaches. Think about that. Now, our head coach picks his GM.

I love the Pegulas but they have no idea how to run a successful sports organization at this point.

Our GM wasn't allowed to pick his own head coaches. Think about that. Now, our head coach picks his GM.

I love the Pegulas but they have no idea how to run a successful sports organization at this point.

I know it's just my opinion, but even if Doug got full autonomy I don't think the results would have differed much. Very good personnel guy, not a great GM.

I think Reid picked Veach to be his GM and why Dorsey was fired in KC.

Pete Carroll I believe also chose Schneider to be his GM.

I know it's just my opinion, but even if Doug got full autonomy I don't think the results would have differed much. Very good personnel guy, not a great GM.

You could be right but that is a pretty big thing for a GM not to have the power to do.

Like most people, Whaley knew Schwartz was the reason for Marrone's success. If we kept Schwartz and the 4-3, Whaley's tenure might have been completely different.

I think Reid picked Veach to be his GM and why Dorsey was fired in KC.

Pete Carroll I believe also chose Schneider to be his GM.

Reid has been one of the best coaches for the last 15 years. Carroll has won titles in college and the pros. We have a first time head coach who just led the 21st ranked defense. Seems like an awful lot of power to give him.

You could be right but that is a pretty big thing for a GM not to have the power to do.

Like most people, Whaley knew Schwartz was the reason for Marrone's success. If we kept Schwartz and the 4-3, Whaley's tenure might have been completely different.

Reid has been one of the best coaches for the last 15 years. Carroll has won titles in college and the pros. We have a first time head coach who just led the 21st ranked defense. Seems like an awful lot of power to give him.

Carroll didn't have a title in the pros when the Seahawks hired him. He was fired twice in the NFL and had a pending investigation with the NCAA. Allen trusted Carroll just like Pegula trusts McDermott. We will see if it works.

Carroll didn't have a title in the pros when the Seahawks hired him. He was fired twice in the NFL and had a pending investigation with the NCAA. Allen trusted Carroll just like Pegula trusts McDermott. We will see if it works.

Fair point but there's no comparison between Carroll's resume and McD's. Carroll built a powerhouse college program.