Here comes Harvey

/dev/null

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents are right in the path of this thing and they refuse to evacuate. I don't get it. I think they are banking on it disipating once it hits land.

That's not what it sounds like. It's going to hit as a category 3 with 6-12 foot storm surge. It's going to hang there for a few days dumping up to 35 inches of rain. When Isaac hit us a few years ago it was just a category 1 but sat over the top for a few days and that's where the damage came from. Tell them to get out if they can. There will be LOTS of water.

Edit: up to a cat 4

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My son (raised in Sarasota, FL) was here for dinner tonight and said he LOVES anything up to a Cat 3 because he loves skim boarding in the streets. Cat 1-3 I never fretted over during 30+ years in hurricane territory. Beyond that? Get the hell out of Dodge! (Depends exactly where you live of course.)

Our worst experience was a no-name storm that dropped buckets of rain over a week plus. Trees toppled because the ground was so wet. (You can't stand a pencil up in a cup of water.) State Farm payed for the one small slope of my tile roof wrecked by a falling tree, but we had to write the check for the "other" $24,000 of roof to match. Gee, thanks!

It's ridiculous-- they are treating this very lightly, because they have had false alarms before. But it's literally heading right for their town--Victoria. I think it's too late for them to leave and so they're hunkering down. I guess a lot of their neighbors are still there too.

Did you tell them, do they know... Fill bathtubs and washing machine with water... Most likely lose potable water after the storm. I take they don't have basements down there? That's not a worry... :-/

Hope they stay safe.

Wow! Pretty blunt:

"The mayor pro tem in the coastal city of Rockport, Texas had a grim message for residents in his city ahead of Hurricane Harveys arrival:

"Those who don't evacuate the city should prepare for the worst by writing their name and social security number on their arm."..."

http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/weather/rockport-mayor-pro-tem-those-who-dont-evacuate-should-mark-social-security-number-on-their-arm/467378851

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It's ridiculous-- they are treating this very lightly, because they have had false alarms before. But it's literally heading right for their town--Victoria. I think it's too late for them to leave and so they're hunkering down. I guess a lot of their neighbors are still there too.

****...the wind is comparatively minor, this storm is predicted to park itself over Victoria until Wednesday and conveyor Gulf moisture inland all that time. Four days of hurricane-force rain. Take what Agnes did to the mid-Atlantic in '72, and double it. This is shaping up to be a biblical deluge.

I hope they can swim. Or own an ark.

I have a case of beer, two bottles of wine, some scotch and four cans of soup. Harvey, do your worst!

Don't mess with six flags over Texas cause these colors don't run, or something like that.

Holy crap... Hope you aren't expecting a piano and his butt, because your spartan victuals don't seem like they may cut it.

Hope all is well & hanging in there!

I have a case of beer, two bottles of wine, some scotch and four cans of soup. Harvey, do your worst!

Don't mess with six flags over Texas cause these colors don't run, or something like that.

are you trying to get Mead over?

It doesn't take that much, for the record

Edited by Boyst62

When Hugo missed Hilton Head in 1989 we evacuated to my in-laws just south of Charlotte....well inland but still not my destination of choice (for a variety of reasons). Well, one tree landed in the kitchen and another on my car. They were without electricity for 3 weeks and water for 4 weeks. That SUCKED and I was pleased to return to Hilton Head to learn we were on the right side of the storm (south of landfall) and not so much as a pine cone had fallen off a tree.

Do NOT underestimate the inconvenience of missing water!

Please say a quick prayer for Houston as they are experiencing devastation on a catastrophic scale currently...

Some places have received over 28 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, another place received 10 inches of rain in 90 minutes. Catastrophic flooding is occurring and here is no relief in site with forecasters calling for the remnants of Harvey to remain nearly stationary and drop 4-6 inches of rain per hour as it streams in moisture from the Gulf, in addition to them now having tornado watches in the area.

Before it is all said and donw some places are expected to receive over 50 inches of rain. Some claim it will be the worst flooding disaster in the history of the US, compounded because of the population center it is hitting. Over a thousand peope have already been rescued, and countless more are unable to be gotten to due to lack of resources and the weather. It is expected to rival or exceed Katrina in devastation, property damage and loss of life.

This is a dire, dire situation unfolding right now and it's almost unfathomable to many of us to even think about the amount of rain they are getting(to put into perspective, some places got more rain than we would have gotten in precipitation(rain and snow) in the first 9 months of the year in 24 hours).

Sometimes during the darkest times, when hope seems lost, just knowing someone is thinking about you and praying for you is all you have to hang your hat on. If anyone has the ability to post on the Texans message board(I can't---already tried), please start a thread letting them know the good people of WNY are praying for them so we can stop by and give them some words of encouragement.

Mods, I'd appreciate if you'd sticky this. Some things are far more important than football. Not much we can do, but simply offering prayers and thoughts will help whatever little amount.

When Hugo missed Hilton Head in 1989 we evacuated to my in-laws just south of Charlotte....well inland but still not my destination of choice (for a variety of reasons). Well, one tree landed in the kitchen and another on my car. They were without electricity for 3 weeks and water for 4 weeks. That SUCKED and I was pleased to return to Hilton Head to learn we were on the right side of the storm (south of landfall) and not so much as a pine cone had fallen off a tree.

Do NOT underestimate the inconvenience of missing water!

Yes, water is huge!

Went through Alicia in 83 in Houston, and then Isabelle in 2003 in Williamsburg VA. Before the '03 storm hit, we filled up our bath tub, so we would have water to use to flush the toilets. Well, we never lost our water, so that was good, but the hurricane followed a very wet summer, and an incredible number of trees just fell over. The ground was so wet, and the soil is so sandy that the roots had nothing much to hang on to.

So the area was left with a lot of hard wood trees down. CSX railroad has a very good coal hauling business between W VA and the coal docks at Newport News. The hoppers just dead head back empty, after they dump the coal. Having also lived in Chicago, and knowing the demand for firewood, I regretted not having the "connections" to haul the downed trees to Chicago. I could have been the fire wood king! All the houses in the NW suburbs of Chicago have huge fireplaces, and there's not a tree to be seen for maybe 100 miles from Chicago.

It's just rain.

They're Texans, soft little girls

Just rain huh? Most ignorant post yet...hurricanes most significant devastation typically COMES FROM massive amounts of rain...in this case 50+ inches in under a week...

It's going to be worse than Katrina...unprecedented flooding, expected to be the worst in US history, property loss and devastation...happening in the 4th largest city many times the population of New Orleans

Edited by matter2003

Just rain huh? Most ignorant post yet...hurricanes most significant devastation typically COMES FROM massive amounts of rain...in this case 50+ inches in under a week...

It's going to be worse than Katrina...unprecedented flooding, expected to be the worst in US history, property loss and devastation...happening in the 4th largest city many times the population of New Orleans

I'm making fun of TX