Here comes Harvey

/dev/null

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy $hit....what can you do about that? This is going to take some work to recover from.

Holy ****....what can you do about that? This is going to take some work to recover from.

No kidding! A daunting task....where to even begin when it finally passes?

When Hugo wiped out Charleston, SC in '89 my boss was located there. I'd go up a couple times a month and it was wierd to watch the progress as it came back. It started with thoughts like "why are there yachts in the middle of streets in the heart of downtown?" After weeks and months the talk at our management meetings would turn to "Hey! There's a barber open over on Broad St!". Little things you take for granted. When it was all put back together, it was better than ever because all the crappy old stuff was replaced with new. Hard to imagine that right now though.....

No kidding! A daunting task....where to even begin when it finally passes?

When Hugo wiped out Charleston, SC in '89 my boss was located there. I'd go up a couple times a month and it was wierd to watch the progress as it came back. It started with thoughts like "why are there yachts in the middle of streets in the heart of downtown?" After weeks and months the talk at our management meetings would turn to "Hey! There's a barber open over on Broad St!". Little things you take for granted. When it was all put back together, it was better than ever because all the crappy old stuff was replaced with new. Hard to imagine that right now though.....

Except now imagine this happening in a city 50 times bigger(Houston is the 4th largest city in the US) than Charleston and with much worse flooding.

Worst flooding ever in US history...

Edited by matter2003

Except now imagine this happening in a city 50 times bigger(Houston is the 4th largest city in the US) than Charleston and with much worse flooding.

Worst flooding ever in US history...

I get it, it's surreal! As I've posted elsewhere, Houston has the 2nd most Fortune 1,000 companies in the country, more than #'s 3 and 4 combined. As someone else pointed out...wonder what happens to gas prices?

My wife's favorite restaurant has a line on the wall where a 500 year flood water hit the wall. You look out the window down to the river and think "wait, that can't be right?"

I get it, it's surreal! As I've posted elsewhere, Houston has the 2nd most Fortune 1,000 companies in the country, more than #'s 3 and 4 combined. As someone else pointed out...wonder what happens to gas prices?

My wife's favorite restaurant has a line on the wall where a 500 year flood water hit the wall. You look out the window down to the river and think "wait, that can't be right?"

Is that Landry's? When I was in Galveston there was a bunch of lines on one of the walls with high water marks. I'm afraid they will all be eclipsed by this one. Edited by RaoulDuke79

Is that Landry's? When I was in Galveston there was a bunch of lines on one of the walls with high water marks. I'm afraid they will all be eclipsed by this one.

It's Canoe in Atlanta. Very nice restaurant. I've taken out of town people there with one driving factor just wanting to show them the line on the wall.

I was in New Orleans this past spring and even there I'd see buildings still boarded up right next to buildings that have obviously been built within the last 10 years.

I was in New Orleans this past spring and even there I'd see buildings still boarded up right next to buildings that have obviously been built within the last 10 years.

Certainly it's awful and difficult and there is no panacea, but a lot comes back better than ever. It's not perfect anywhere and I think New Orleans is in many ways a unique situation. I'm not trying to minimize this in ANY way, but given time the healing can happen.

Certainly it's awful and difficult and there is no panacea, but a lot comes back better than ever. It's not perfect anywhere and I think New Orleans is in many ways a unique situation. I'm not trying to minimize this in ANY way, but given time the healing can happen.

Honestly I can't understand why they rebuilt a place that is destined to be under water eventually as it is beneath sea level...how many times are they going to spend billions and billions of dollars? At some point you just have to accept the reality of the situation and just say "Hey, we made a mistake building a city here" and move elsewhere.

Edited by matter2003

Honestly I can't understand why they rebuilt a place that is destined to be under water eventually as it is beneath sea level...how many times are they going to spend billions and billions of dollars? At some point you just have to accept the reality of the situation and just say "Hey, we made a mistake building a city here" and move elsewhere.

It's the busiest port in the country. That's why. No mistake. In the end, the economic benefits outweigh the risks.

You know what the second busiest (tonnage) is in the country behind South Louisiana?

Yep... You guessed it. Port of Houston.

watching live as a local Meteorologist talks about how the Army Corp of Engineers are getting ready to release water from resevoirs because the dams are going to break otherwise..expecting even worse flooding heading downstream towards downtown Houston and its going to end up flooding surrounding areas because they aren't going to be able to release enough water in time and the surrounding western parts are going to get flooded due it spilling over. Have to say he did an excellent job and was very clear and concise...

Live from KHOU(who had to abandon their studios as floodwaters poured in)

http://www.khou.com/weather/houston-weather-forecast/62951506

It's the busiest port in the country. That's why. No mistake. In the end, the economic benefits outweigh the risks.

You know what the second busiest (tonnage) is in the country behind South Louisiana?

Yep... You guessed it. Port of Houston.

Guess that makes sense being the port of the terminus of the Mississippi River and right up throught the middle of the US

Edited by matter2003

watching live as a local Meteorologist talks about how the Army Corp of Engineers are getting ready to release water from resevoirs because the dams are going to break otherwise..expecting even worse flooding heading downstream towards downtown Houston and its going to end up flooding surrounding areas because they aren't going to be able to release enough water in time and the surrounding western parts are going to get flooded due it spilling over. Have to say he did an excellent job and was very clear and concise...

Live from KHOU(who had to abandon their studios as floodwaters poured in)

http://www.khou.com/weather/houston-weather-forecast/62951506

There has to be emergency spillways on the dams.

Like overfilling your bathtub or bathroom sink. Water will rise and go down the emergency drain at the top. That's the emergency spillway. They will try and control release the best they can and take the "heat off", down the normal, controlled spillway race. Not sure how those dams are set up. Hope they aren't like Oroville, Cali and have at least improved emergency spillways or the will be racing to save mass destruction if those spillways get pressed in to service. I am sure the dam itself won't fail!

When the Great Midwest Flood of 1993 hit... Coralville (Iowa City) Dam's emergency spillway was pressed into action... Flood did terrible damage.

You can walk the bed of the e-spillway today and see the exposed seabed fossils the flood uncovered.

Working for Corps... They definitely will be taking voluteers for clean-up. Seeing my children are older... I may put in if they can spare me on the schedule, regular rotation... But we already are short handed w/a lock & dam operator helping out in Afghanistan till December. Not sure if the schedule can handle two people down.

Guess that makes sense being the port of the terminus of the Mississippi River and right up throught the middle of the US

Even more so now with the New Panama Canal. Ports all along East have sunk in 10s if not 100s of BILLIONS (combined) to improve their port facilities.

And... The French Quarter is the old city. That's in a better, naturally protected (as best as it can be) location. It's the rest of the growth and sprawl in the surrounding Parishes that take the brunt of the damage. Just like it will be in Houston.

Don't know why this is going through my head... ;-)

"Your typical city involved in a typical daydream

Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Dallas, got a soft machine; Houston, too close to New Orleans,

New York's got the ways and means; but just won't let you be, oh no."

Yeah... Houston, too close to NOLA. Yikes!

My parents are right in the path of this thing and they refuse to evacuate. I don't get it. I think they are banking on it disipating once it hits land.

Any word from your Mom & Dad JR...?? Thinking about them, in our prayers!!!!

if i didn't have a job, i'd take my kayak down there with bottles of water for the stranded. don't have a big boat, but the kayak could be nimble enough to get in there to at least get to the front lines

If I had a plane, I'd drop pallets of water on their heads.