Hurricane Thread --

Jesus...I just heard someone advocating parachuting supplies to Puerto Rico. We're back to "Why aren't we dropping pallets of water on people's heads?" again.

Logistics is HARD, people. It's harder when you're shipping **** to an island without a working port. :wallbash:

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally , I have donated to hurricane relief in the US Virgin Islands and the Dutch/ French island of St Maarten/ St Martin. I urge anyone considering making a donation to do so. These are great places with phenomenal people who have been devastated. The islands depend on tourism and many have nothing but the clothes on their backs. They don't have all the resources we have here on the mainland and need all the help they can get.

Jesus...I just heard someone advocating parachuting supplies to Puerto Rico. We're back to "Why aren't we dropping pallets of water on people's heads?" again.

Logistics is HARD, people. It's harder when you're shipping **** to an island without a working port. :wallbash:

Understood... But why make future logistics harder. Fuggin' gov't? It's okay to be worried about national security. The obsession is getting absurd.

But once we get a working port up... They can waive the Jones Act? Why not get it (the waiver) in the pipeline ASAP.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352597-us-wont-waive-shipping-restrictions-for-puerto-rico-relief

And this is why we can't have compassionate conservatives in this country.

It's probably a fantastic time to buy up land on the impacted islands right now.

I suggest for you... A nice parcel right below the dam that is ready to pop in Puerto Rico. You can build your "Spanish Tara" there.

Not worth starting a new thread just to poke Tom... but, now Forbes is calling for Geoengineering/Chemtrails :pirate::ph34r::ph34r:

As Humans Fumble Climate Challenge, Interest Grows In Geoengineering

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2017/09/24/interest-rises-in-geoengineering-as-humans-fail-to-mitigate-climate-change/#bc7c1a16472a

Governments, universities, think tanks and international bodies are turning to the idea of tinkering with the earth by making it absorb more carbon dioxide or reflect more sunlight into space, the scholars said.

"Even a decade ago this was largely in the realm of fantasy for many, but now there’s a lot of discussion of this in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports, in various government research programs, et cetera," said Wil Burns, the co-executive director of the Forum for Climate Engineering Assessment.

Interest "grows" in something the US military has been doing for decades... drip, drip, drip.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

this is why POTUS needs to allow for the laws to be adjusted to eliminate the Tarrif charges and gets ships of any sort in there.

President Donald Trump said he will travel to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday.

Next week? I guess he needs a flush toilet and clean water while he's there, oh and Mobile Cell service so he can tweet.

this is why POTUS needs to allow for the laws to be adjusted to eliminate the Tarrif charges and gets ships of any sort in there.

President Donald Trump said he will travel to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday.

Next week? I guess he needs a flush toilet and clean water while he's there, oh and Mobile Cell service so he can tweet.

Ships of any sort in where? The island's port facilities are destroyed. There is no where for these 'ships of any sort' to offload their goods.

The island's infrastructure has been destroyed. Why is this so hard to understand? Seriously, I really want to know why that concept is so hard for the left to get through their thick skulls.

Ships of any sort in where? The island's port facilities are destroyed. There is no where for these 'ships of any sort' to offload their goods.

The island's infrastructure has been destroyed. Why is this so hard to understand? Seriously, I really want to know why that concept is so hard for the left to get through their thick skulls.

There's an arcane law that mandates that only US flagged ships are allowed to transport heavy machinery into PR. It's a no brainer for the orange to suspend the law

There's an arcane law that mandates that only US flagged ships are allowed to transport heavy machinery into PR. It's a no brainer for the orange to suspend the law

Process is important. We don't want a President empowered to suspend laws when he feels it's a good idea.

That's what Congress is for.

there are ways to ferry material from larger ships to the island

FWIW

I've worked in 3rd world countries and when they have a need, they get very creative and get the job done. This is not insurmountable.

landing-craft-air-cushion-lcac-01.jpgLCAC_19970620.jpg

thank you \

this is what I was trying to get at.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Great. Where are they going to have these foreign ships offload heavy machinery?

Again, what part of the port is destroyed can the left not conceptualize?

there are ways to ferry material from larger ships to the island

FWIW

I've worked in 3rd world countries and when they have a need, they get very creative and get the job done. This is not insurmountable.

landing-craft-air-cushion-lcac-01.jpgLCAC_19970620.jpg

thank you \

this is what I was trying to get at.

So... foreign ships are going to use US military hovercraft to deliver goods?

Process is important. We don't want a President empowered to suspend laws when he feels it's a good idea.

That's what Congress is for.

It's not Trump alone but his administration

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/27/trump-administration-denies-request-ease-shipping-fuel-deliveries-puerto-rico/707448001/

Some members of Congress want the Trump administration to suspend shipping restrictions that would allow more fuel and emergency supplies to reach Puerto Rico.

The Jones Act prohibits foreign-flagged vessels from picking up and delivering fuel between U.S. ports. That act was suspended from Sept. 8 through Sept. 22 to allow shipments to Texas and Florida after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Puerto Rico was included under that waiver for petroleum products.

It's not Trump alone but his administration

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/27/trump-administration-denies-request-ease-shipping-fuel-deliveries-puerto-rico/707448001/

5]Some members of Congress want the Trump administration to suspend shipping restrictions that would allow more fuel and emergency supplies to reach Puerto Rico.

5]The Jones Act prohibits foreign-flagged vessels from picking up and delivering fuel between U.S. ports. That act was suspended from Sept. 8 through Sept. 22 to allow shipments to Texas and Florida after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Puerto Rico was included under that waiver for petroleum products.

It's for Congress to make, change, or repeal the law. It's the President's job to faithfully execute the law. As it stands currently, the Presidents job is to prevent foriegn vessels from going to Puerto Rico, unless the law, as written, states the the President may, under certain circumstances, suspend the law.

Process is more important than individual outcomes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Great. Where are they going to have these foreign ships offload heavy machinery?

Again, what part of the port is destroyed can the left not conceptualize?

So... foreign ships are going to use US military hovercraft to deliver goods?

Oh Gee! Well then. I guess they are DOOMED then. Nothing we can do to save these American Citizens.

As I said. I have seen much and more accomplished with less in 3rd world countries.

You do know that hovercraft can land practically anywhere.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Oh Gee! Well then. I guess they are DOOMED then. Nothing we can do to save these American Citizens.

As I said. I have seen much and more accomplished with less in 3rd world countries.

Your asking for an emergency exemption to the law that makes no sense in this situation.

I get that it's the cool thing to complain about and #resist according to today's liberal talking points, but seriously, it's just !@#$ing stupid at this point.

It's for Congress to make, change, or repeal the law. It's the President's job to faithfully execute the law. As it stands currently, the Presidents job is to prevent foriegn vessels from going to Puerto Rico, unless the law, as written, states the the President may, under certain circumstances, suspend the law.

Process is more important than individual outcomes.

Not when you have a pen and a telephone.

And the Marines are using those. As of yesterday, they've delivered eleven tons of aid. Necause unloading over the beach is expensive, inefficient, and difficult.

The only way to get large amounts of material to an island quickly is through a functioning port.

Your asking for an emergency exemption to the law that makes no sense in this situation.

I get that it's the cool thing to complain about and #resist according to today's liberal talking points, but seriously, it's just !@#$ing stupid at this point.

Not when you have a pen and a telephone.

So what do you suggest? I'll wait for an answer.

And FYI The military doesn't hold a monopoly on hovercraft

Indian_Coast_Guard_H191_Hovercraft.jpg6954692777_80f1ba2fc8_b.jpgA-Custom-Built-Coast-Guard-SAR-Hovercraf

And the Marines are using those. As of yesterday, they've delivered eleven tons of aid. Necause unloading over the beach is expensive, inefficient, and difficult.

The only way to get large amounts of material to an island quickly is through a functioning port.

I understand that Tom.

I was saying that there are ways to get them aid. Using the damaged ports as an excuse is kind of bad.

Send a message help is on the way and do what ever you can to speed up the process.

Most of them have no idea how the chain goes on their mountain bike, how would they understand something more complex?

So what do you suggest? I'll wait for an answer.

And FYI The military doesn't hold a monopoly on hovercraft

Indian_Coast_Guard_H191_Hovercraft.jpg6954692777_80f1ba2fc8_b.jpgA-Custom-Built-Coast-Guard-SAR-Hovercraf

I understand that Tom.

Send a message help is on the way and do what ever you can to speed up the process.

Sounds like help Is already there. I know more is needed.