Hurricane Thread --

So what do you suggest? I'll wait for an answer.

And FYI The military doesn't hold a monopoly on hovercraft

Indian_Coast_Guard_H191_Hovercraft.jpg6954692777_80f1ba2fc8_b.jpgA-Custom-Built-Coast-Guard-SAR-Hovercraf

I understand that Tom.

I was saying that there are ways to get them aid. Using the damaged ports as an excuse is kind of bad.

Send a message help is on the way and do what ever you can to speed up the process.

Using the damaged ports as an excuse to not suspend the Jones Act is kind-of bad. Actually, it's really stupid.

Using the damaged ports as a reason to explain "We can't get aid in faster than a dribble, because we either have to use small planes or small boats, because we have no way to unload bulk freight or container ships" is actually sound logical reasoning.

And it may be that suspending the Jones Act exacerbates the situation with respect to the ports, because you find yourself with too many ships stacked up trying to get in to a port that can't offload quickly enough. Logistics bottlenecks can be just as bad as not enough supplies to begin with.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using the damaged ports as an excuse to not suspend the Jones Act is kind-of bad. Actually, it's really stupid.

Using the damaged ports as a reason to explain "We can't get aid in faster than a dribble, because we either have to use small planes or small boats, because we have no way to unload bulk freight or container ships" is actually sound logical reasoning.

And it may be that suspending the Jones Act exacerbates the situation with respect to the ports, because you find yourself with too many ships stacked up trying to get in to a port that can't offload quickly enough. Logistics bottlenecks can be just as bad as not enough supplies to begin with.

There's the near term and long term answer. A damaged port affects the immediate need to get urgent supplies. Jones Act won't help that. But PR infrastructure will need a full rebuild, which will certainly be affected by the Jones Act.

There's the near term and long term answer. A damaged port affects the immediate need to get urgent supplies. Jones Act won't help that. But PR infrastructure will need a full rebuild, which will certainly be affected by the Jones Act.

Which is why it doesn't really become an issue - optics aside - until port capacity is at least partially restored.

There's an arcane law that mandates that only US flagged ships are allowed to transport heavy machinery into PR. It's a no brainer for the orange to suspend the law

I mentioned it earlier. The Jones Act.

Which is why it doesn't really become an issue - optics aside - until port capacity is at least partially restored.

Why not do it early... You know how gov't works. Get it in the pipeline so the ships can be ready. Gov't holds back, so will business. At least tip them off that law will be suspended. BS that national security is at risk. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I mentioned it earlier. The Jones Act.

Why not do it early... You know how gov't works. Get it in the pipeline so the ships can be ready. Gov't holds back, so will business. At least tip them off that law will be suspended. BS that national security is at risk.

Because they're idiots.

I said it didn't really matter. I didn't say it wasn't stupid.

NEWS: “There are more than 8,800 federal staff, including more than 600 FEMA personnel, on the ground in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands engaged in response and recovery operations from Hurricanes Maria and Irma.”

FEMA, working in coordination with federal partners, provided more than 4.4 million meals, 6.5 million liters of water, nearly 300 infant and toddler kits to support 3000 infants for a full week, 70,000 tarps, and 15,000 rolls of roof sheeting to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico since Hurricane Maria’s landfall.

FEMA is delivering food and water to territorial points of distribution (POD) locations in 7 municipalities in Puerto Rico. Please reach out to municipality officials for specific locations. More PODs will continue to open as areas become accessible.

Officials in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico opened points of distribution (POD) in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands for survivors to get meals, water, and other commodities. The Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands announced that PODs in the islands will be closed Wednesday, but 16 locations in St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John are scheduled to be open tomorrow.

In Puerto Rico, fuel was delivered to 19 hospitals for power generators. 200 gas stations received fuel yesterday for distribution to residents of Puerto Rico.

Much more at the link.

TO THE JOURNOLIST, ROBIN!

The Media’s Cooking Up a #FakeNews Katrina Narrative for Puerto Rico, Despite Trump Actually Sending Lots of Aid.

:lol:

Edited by B-Man

So cut-n-paste B-Man rides in burning the GOP nighttime oil. Hope they are paying him more than 15 bucks an hour to post the good news the gov't is helping.

Now wait... Let me get this straight. Saint Ronnie Raygun was wrong?

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "

~Ronald Reagan

And all this time I thought...

At what dock brainiac? Have all the Puerto Ricans swim to meet the boat.

Good thing Les & Herb aren't working for Maersk or whoever:

I can just see it now. "Puerto Ricans everywhere, swimming to meet the ship... They're sinking, they're sinking from the weight of the of supplies! OH MY GOD, THE HUMANITY!"

"As God as my witness, I thought Puerto Ricans could swim... They live on an island!"

It's not enough. He didn't drop pallets of water to the victims!

His wife wears spiked high heels.

He had TWO scoops of ice cream after supper last night, while the people of Puerto Rico have no electricity.

IMPEACH!

He had TWO scoops of ice cream after supper last night, while the people of Puerto Rico have no electricity. :o

IMPEACH!

It's the American thing to do! As long as they vote while kneeling, I'm good with that.

Good God man. Two scoops... outrageous!

I was just trying to think of ways that would help.

It's for Congress to make, change, or repeal the law. It's the President's job to faithfully execute the law. As it stands currently, the Presidents job is to prevent foriegn vessels from going to Puerto Rico, unless the law, as written, states the the President may, under certain circumstances, suspend the law.

President Trump waives Jones Act to help Puerto Rico

The Trump administration announced Thursday it will waive federal restrictions on foreign ships' transportation of cargo to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico

sometimes that word administration gets lost and we get Alternate News

The Trump administration announced Thursday it will waive federal restrictions on foreign ships' transportation of cargo to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico

Would anyone with detailed knowledge of the Jones Act be willing to weigh in on what gives the Executive Branch the authority to grant the waiver?

I understand it's been done before, I'm curious about whether it's something legitimately in the President's purview or if it's simply a now entrenched usurpation of non-delegated powers.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Would anyone with detailed knowledge of the Jones Act be willing to weigh in on what gives the Executive Branch the authority to grant the waiver?

I understand it's been done before, I'm curious about whether it's something legitimately in the President's purview or if it's simply a now entrenched usurpation of non-delegated powers.

What I read is that the request came from Legislative and waiver granted on domestic security grounds. Sounds like they followed the law. Edited by GG

There isn't much that will. You're trying to move stuff to an island without functional ports or airports. That drastically limits your shipping capacity...and what you can deliver ends up being stuff to get the ports and airports open, so basic supplies (food, water, fuel) aren't shipped initially.

It's not really a problem that's amenable to creative solutions, as it's a well-known and -studied problem.

There isn't much that will. You're trying to move stuff to an island without functional ports or airports. That drastically limits your shipping capacity...and what you can deliver ends up being stuff to get the ports and airports open, so basic supplies (food, water, fuel) aren't shipped initially.

It's not really a problem that's amenable to creative solutions, as it's a well-known and -studied problem.

Yep!

I will just leave it at that @ the risk of just confusing the hell out of y'all (not you Tom, you are never confused) by taking it into that well known and studied realm.

It still won't help near-term. It just looks good.

The PR relief effort is being reported so badly and falsely in the mainstream media that I honestly think this time around that editorial boards are making a conscious decision to lie and make Trump look bad. It's horrible.