Preseason football

MAJBobby

Time for a little discussion.

What do you do about preseason football? How many games?

Now your plan has to balance loss revenue (reason owners want the game) and lost game type reps for development (coaches want this).

I say get rid of all the preseason. Instead allow teams the ability to negotiate joint prectices. Sell tickets to them and put them on TV.

That makes up for the loss revenue (people will go and watch)

The joint practices make uo for the crap games and alloe coaches more control to put teams in certain situations you want to put them in.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now your plan has to balance loss revenue (reason owners want the game) and lost game type reps for development (coaches want this).

I say get rid of all the preseason. Instead allow teams the ability to negotiate joint prectices. Sell tickets to them and put them on TV.

The joint practices make uo for the crap games and alloe coaches more control to put teams in certain situations you want to put them in.

2-3 preseason games max.

Preseason is important for guys like Yarborough(sp?) and the UDFA to audition.

Star players, i woldn't play but that is the coaches fault. I don't understand why coaches put these guys out there for it still.

I'm for 2 or 3 preseason games to evaluate drafted and UD players . Just keep veterans out of these games and use in practice .

The owners don't want the lost revenue from preseason games being reduced so they'd like to expand the regular season schedule to 18 games and the NFLPA wants no part of that.

2 preseason games. Teams can match up as well with joint practices. 1 extra neutral site regular season game. Teams in that 3rd preseason game play for almost 3 quarters many times. For teams that want 10 dates at home, you have a scrimmage at your stadium.

2 games. Then add 1 more playoff team in each conference so that there are two more playoff games in round 1. That additional TV revenue will offset the preseason loss's. Also means only team with best record in each conference gets a first round bye which will make more teams play harder in the last week.

Your idea is better than the existing scenario.

I would suggest just eliminating all preseason, all scrimmage and just start the damn season. Extend the season by increasing the number of regular season games to make up for lost revenue.

Doing that would increase the value of the backup positions and perhaps bring even more parity to the league.

2 games. Then add 1 more playoff team in each conference so that there are two more playoff games in round 1. That additional TV revenue will offset the preseason loss's. Also means only team with best record in each conference gets a first round bye which will make more teams play harder in the last week.

I think this makes some sense because there is probably enough demand that squeezing an extra playoff round/game would offset revenue from preseasons. I'm not sure though. That is one home game for each team you're eliminating and they charge full boat plus beer parking etc. The playoff stuff would certainly get more TV revenue but 32 games down to 2 or 4 will reduce ticket haul greatly.

I say play as many preseason games as you need until someone blows out Jarvis Landry's knee.

One idea is you go to 2 preseason games, one home and one on the road. Then you go to a 18 game regular season schedule. Add 4 teams to the playoffs and eliminate the bye. So now you have 8 teams from both sides in the playoffs. This model would increase revenue as your now playing 2 additional post season games and removing two crappy preseason games to regular season. Playoffs become more exciting.

To help with injury I would also add another bye week, so each team now has two bye weeks. You can stagger them like they do now or two make it even you have one bye in week 6, one bye in week 12.

The owners don't want the lost revenue from preseason games being reduced so they'd like to expand the regular season schedule to 18 games and the NFLPA wants no part of that.

Here is the Promotherobot unbelievable, awesome, why-didn't-anyone-think-of-this-before plan to make the NFL more money while actually playing fewer games. You're welcome.

1) Reduce preseason to 2 games. Start the season a week earlier.

2) Add a second bye week to the schedule.

3) Add a Wednesday night prime time game. All 32 teams must play once and they get a mini-bye after. Adding the second bye plus mini-bye will extend the regular season to 19 weeks.

3) Add a third wild card playoff berth. Only give a bye to the #1 seed.

The result is a longer season but with one less game played, another prime time game to sell, another playoff game to sell, more teams "in the hunt" for the playoffs and all with more rest time for players in-season. I know. It's brilliant.

I think we all get that. But is a nice discussion to have

in the '70s there were 6 games because players used camp and preseason to get in shape. With all the offseason workouts and OTAs before camp....I don't think there is a need to have any games....they really don't accomplish much....most try to avoid injury...