So Boldin retired?

I don't think that anyone thinks that it makes a huge difference on this year's record. The Bills are definitely worse but not bad enough to pick first.

I just don't think it's a wise team building strategy to jettison an ultra-talented 24 year-old and a really good 22 year-old CB. Those are the guys that are a major part of your rebuild.

Also, I think it's fair to say that if we were going to have that "oh my god where did they come from" seasons, Sammy was one of 2-3 players that were going to carry it.

On a realistic take if I was forced to predict, I'd say we went from 7 or 8 wins to 6 or 7.... but I'd also say the odds of 10 wins went from say 10% to 5% (for a bar napkin take)

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boldin, 36, is ninth all-time in career receptions with 1,076. If he had played this season, he likely would've passed Terrell Owens (1,078), Jason Witten(1,089), Tim Brown (1,094), Cris Carter (1,101), and Marvin Harrison (1,102), which means he could've moved up all the way to No. 4 on the all-time list.

He could have easily have gotten to 4th place even if he was 4th WR and just been in for blocking and occasional relief pass.

At least he was honest with Bills and they are not eating a signing bonus.

No one's debating that it's not their vision. We all just don't agree on how big of a deal it is. Personally, I think it's an awful decision. I loved what they did early in the draft and hated what they've done on the pro side.

I absolutely get not liking the trade(s). All I'm saying is Sammy, IMO, is not essential to our success moving forward.

How? Look back at last year. Sammy was out and I think the WRs even without Bolden are as good and perhaps better than last year. Darby and Gilmore replaced with a first round pick and a guy that plays zone coverage well.

I didn't like the Sammy trade because, if healthy, I think he'd be a force in this offense. But comparing to last year we have the same O line, same running attack with addition of the best blocking FB in the league. And the offense was top ten last year.

My biggest worries are Glenn and whether TT adapts to Dennison's offense. Those happen we should be in good shape, because I don't see teams running wild for over 200 a game against this defense.

The scheme in offense will be key. The defensive scheme will fix the mess that Rex left. I'm not sure that Dennison's scheme won't negatively impact the offense.

They also lack speed. The Bills went from speed everywhere to a slow team. Dennison is on record as saying he wants to throw the ball down the field 8 times a game. I'm not sure who the target is? Clay maybe?

I absolutely get not liking the trade(s). All I'm saying is Sammy, IMO, is not essential to our success moving forward.

That's just where a lot of us disagree. Sammy to me is on the verge of the stardom that he was destined for. He's finally healthy. He's a 1,200 yard plus guy IMO at age 24. That's the kind of guy that is imperative in a rebuild. I like Zay a lot too. I thought that the Bills had their starting receivers set for a young QB. Now they don't.

Also, I think it's fair to say that if we were going to have that "oh my god where did they come from" seasons, Sammy was one of 2-3 players that were going to carry it.

On a realistic take if I was forced to predict, I'd say we went from 7 or 8 wins to 6 or 7.... but I'd also say the odds of 10 wins went from say 10% to 5% (for a bar napkin take)

I think your realistic take may be spot on. Perhaps a game less (from 6-7 to 5-6 wins)

That's about where I had things in terms of the record. After going to camp I thought that the playoffs were possible but a stretch. A lot would have had to go right.

The scheme in offense will be key. The defensive scheme will fix the mess that Rex left. I'm not sure that Dennison's scheme won't negatively impact the offense.

They also lack speed. The Bills went from speed everywhere to a slow team. Dennison is on record as saying he wants to throw the ball down the field 8 times a game. I'm not sure who the target is? Clay maybe?

That's just where a lot of us disagree. Sammy to me is on the verge of the stardom that he was destined for. He's finally healthy. He's a 1,200 yard plus guy IMO at age 24. That's the kind of guy that is imperative in a rebuild. I like Zay a lot too. I thought that the Bills had their starting receivers set for a young QB. Now they don't.

I'd feel a whole lot better about a young stud QB on the roster. It would make me feel better about the WR core on the whole. Regardless of their talent level.

I think Clay. Jones will get downfield. I'm not sure top end speed is what's required to go deep. Good patterns and play calls are. Guys like Hogan and Stevie J got deep and neither were speed merchants.

I was really looking forward to Sammy being used right vs just running down the sideline all day.

I'd feel a whole lot better about a young stud QB on the roster. It would make me feel better about the WR core on the whole. Regardless of their talent level.

That's coming either way though. The QB will be here in a matter of months. It's not like you have to have the QB before you can have the receivers. You need a whole roster and you acquire talent as you can. That talent needs to line up in terms of time as well. They need to peak together like Seattle did. That's how windows open. Unfortunately the best players on the Bills now will be gone or done by the time this new group develops. That's why you don't jettison the young talent. Darby and Watkins will be in their primes when this team is ready to compete.

I think Clay. Jones will get downfield. I'm not sure top end speed is what's required to go deep. Good patterns and play calls are. Guys like Hogan and Stevie J got deep and neither were speed merchants.

I was really looking forward to Sammy being used right vs just running down the sideline all day.

Ha ha, I agree on Sammy. I think Jones and Clay will probably play that role. We are going to have to have some success down the field to keep the box from filling up with defenders. If we can do that the offense will be ok.

How? Look back at last year. Sammy was out and I think the WRs even without Bolden are as good and perhaps better than last year. Darby and Gilmore replaced with a first round pick and a guy that plays zone coverage well.

I didn't like the Sammy trade because, if healthy, I think he'd be a force in this offense. But comparing to last year we have the same O line, same running attack with addition of the best blocking FB in the league. And the offense was top ten last year.

My biggest worries are Glenn and whether TT adapts to Dennison's offense. Those happen we should be in good shape, because I don't see teams running wild for over 200 a game against this defense.

And once again, why is last year ( a bad year by most standards ) the benchmark for all things with this team? It's about building the best team possible to hopefully win a championship. A year of mostly hot garbage, injuries, and crappy defense should not be any kind of standard for this franchise.

And once again, why is last year ( a bad year by most standards ) the benchmark for all things with this team? It's about building the best team possible to hopefully win a championship. A year of mostly hot garbage, injuries, and crappy defense should not be any kind of standard for this franchise.

Because people talk about how all of a sudden we'll be terrible and they're tanking and so on, when really they are not much different than the team last year. And that team was in it until the D fell off. This year the D should be better.

I agree we need to have a sustained approach to build and maintain a winning team. Having a new HC and GM, each with good pedigrees and that can work together, should do that. But what do we read on this board? People want the GM fired. It's unrealistic at best and childish emotional reactions in reality.

The Bills look like they'll be quite different from last year and likely not in a good way. I don't think this D will be appreciably better because they still lack elite talent in the front 7 and are thin in the secondary . I don't agree with the GMs moves , but he won't be fired ( nor should he be this soon). That is unrealistic and part of what has hindered this team for years. They have no choice but to stick it out for the long haul. I'm not convinced that it will be a success where other regimes have failed though. As currently constructed they are seriously short on players in many areas.

I realize it's only one pre-season play...but that was one pre-season play for a 37 year-old guy who signed after much consideration and opted to retire 10 days later . if someone told me it was his first game back after a double knee replacement with complications, I might believe them based on this clip.

I wish I could post videos of all of Boldin's routes that game. If you can see a replay, watch him closely and tell me if you think he looked ready for the NFL? Is it rust or old age?

The Bills look like they'll be quite different from last year and likely not in a good way. I don't think this D will be appreciably better because they still lack elite talent in the front 7 and are thin in the secondary . I don't agree with the GMs moves , but he won't be fired ( nor should he be this soon). That is unrealistic and part of what has hindered this team for years. They have no choice but to stick it out for the long haul. I'm not convinced that it will be a success where other regimes have failed though. As currently constructed they are seriously short on players in many areas.

No one elite. Just Dareus, Williams, Lawson and Hughes. Name every team with a better front 4. Edited by PromoTheRobot

sj got deep? what seasons were you watching? sj "got deep" all of two times as a bill, and dropped 1 of them (pittsburg) the other was with lee evans opening the top for him. You need speed and its why we got tj graham, then goodwin and sammy once evans was traded.

Now were screwed again.

I specified the front 7 ( meaning the LB corps) not the front 4. And the secondary. A bit early to call Lawson anything approaching elite.

I also think that our corners are more suspect than most acknowledge. I think our defense will be fine but not a great unit and it wouldn't take much to fall apart really badly.

The Bills had their starting cornerback tandem and starting wide receiver tandem in place for the forseeable future. Now they've torpedoed the depth on those units in favor of draft picks which they will use to chase players at those same positions who have a very good chance of not being nearly as good as the players they're replacing.

That is the definition of stupidity.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I also think that our corners are more suspect than most acknowledge. I think our defense will be fine but not a great unit and it wouldn't take much to fall apart really badly.

Any team who does a complete makeover of its secondary over one offseason has to acknowledge that the unit likely to be at the very least a question mark the following season. I have been broadly encouraged with the play of our safeties in pre-season so far..... but a little discouraged wit the corner play. I like Tre White I think long term he will prove a very good pick but there might be some bumps along the road and two weeks before the opener we have no idea who will play the other side. Not convinced by Johnson in the nickel back role either.