Bills D getting ready to return to pre-Rex form...

Big Turk

I wouldn't. They were 19th last year. But I agree, I don't see huge improvements this year. The line looks good but other than that we look OK and have little depth.

The line is the most important part...they can wreck a gameplan by themselves Edited by matter2003

Teams will pretty much abandon the run versus the Bills and attack the zone defense secondary. Brady might be able to pick up 500 yards against us, he will dink and dunk us to death on long drives. The defense will get better as the other team gets into the red zone and the field is compressed. Offenses will gain a lot of yards and chew up a lot of clock but hopefully wont score TDs in buckets. Meanwhile with the alleged Offesnive line we have how long are they going to be on the field. Our defence will get worn down in games and throughout the season unless the offense clicks.

Teams with an accurate short-intermediate range passer and quick release will do very well against the Bills

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I agree.

Not sure why people are pessimistic about this season. The D will be outstanding. If we can run the ball a little on O, we are going to be in every game. Not going to be pretty, but could be a 8-9 win team.

+1. If ST can improve and give the offense better field position it would definitely help.

+1. If ST can improve and give the offense better field position it would definitely help.

If offense is simply middling/just average and D is in top ten we are in the wildcard hunt. Tyrod is just an average QB but an average QB that takes care of the ball. THAT is the difference between average yet effective and simply average.

I agree.

Not sure why people are pessimistic about this season. The D will be outstanding. If we can run the ball a little on O, we are going to be in every game. Not going to be pretty, but could be a 8-9 win team.

You mean the worse case scenario? great.... :doh:

Agreed.

The new regime has done a nice job of ridding the team of talented players on both sides of the ball.

I don't know. I guess I don't really see how they have rid the team of talent.

The cuts and trades -

On defense - Robey-Coleman, Darby, Aaron Williams (but I think that was injury, not just dumping him), Corey Graham?

On offense - Sammy Watkins, Kouandjio?

Gillislee on an offer sheet (more on this below).

That doesn't seem to me like they rid the team of talent... if I missed anyone feel free to correct me.

As far as 2017 free agents - I don't really see how you can put much of the blame on the new regime for those.

Beane and his front office/personnel staff weren't even here yet.

You can put it all on a 1st time head coach if you want. I'm sure he had pretty heavy input, but Whaley was still here and he has plenty of time to sign some of these guys before McDermott got here... and McD had nothing to do with the Bills cap space and +/- 26 free agents for 2017.

Whaley had a year to sign Woods, Goodwin (etc) and he had 2 years to sign Gilmore.

It was reported long before McDermott was hired that they weren't even really negotiating with Woods and that they weren't willing to go above $11.5M on Gilmore.

Gillislee was a loss, but who's fault was that? You can blame McD for using the original round tender, maybe it was him. But Whaley did the same thing with Hogan last year, so it's not like it would be ab out of character move for him to make.

Plus The Pats offered him $4M for this year and the Bills had like 26 free agents and a pretty tough cap situation (especially before all the cuts). That's the other thing - the cap wasn't in great shape because of Whaley and I believe they had the most free agent players in the NFL. Plus it was Whaley that gave McCoy an $8M cap hit this year. If you want to put all the blame on McDermott not to match the offer and pay $12M to your top 2 RB's, that's fine. I share a bit different opinion but I won't argue if you don't share the same opinion.

They also brought in some players too.

They kept Groy on the offer sheet, brought in Jordan Matthews (who's young & has been very productive on the field), EJ Gaines (who had almost as good a rookie season as Darby), Micah Hyde who's young. Jordan Poyer who's also young. Stephen Hauschka. Kept Lorenzo Alexander. Brought in Andre Holmes.

Sammy was a loss that's hard to replace talent wise (but maybe not so much production wise). You're not going to find another WR with Sammy's potential. But other than that, I don't see where we really lost a whole lot of talent because of moves Beane + McDermott made.

Also, a number of those talented players from the 2014 defense were lost under Rex.

I don't think we get back to Schwartz's success but i agree that we will be much improved. If we can convert 1st down and eat some clock on O, our D should be top 10 imo. I didn't breakdown the tape of the philly game but Lorax looks like he's faster than ever. Crazy that a dude can play DT in his 20s then transition to 4-3 SLB in his thirties and look more explosive than he has in his career. Might have to get me a Lorax jersey. He's quickly becoming my favorite player

I think they'll be borderline top 10, but be on the field too much.

The reverse for the offense. Not on the field very long, poor 3rd down conversion rate, bottom 10.

Getting to 8-8 will take a year long, solid D.