Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838828/article/chiefs-gm-mahomes-not-even-close-to-alex-smith?campaign=Twitter_atn

Chiefs GM: Mahomes not 'even close' to Alex Smith

"Coach made a statement a few days back, there's no gray area. Alex (Smith) is our quarterback," Veach said, via the team's official website. "Alex is so far advanced from the mental side of things in regards to his ability to read coverages, to shift to better plays and really play the chess game. He's so far ahead of what Pat (Mahomes) is.

"I don't think it's even close right now. But going back to Pat, the development he has made and the strides he has taken in those departments has exceeded our expectations to this point. So we're excited where we are and again the longer that Alex and Pat are together, the better we will be."

Haha. What is he supposed to say? I'm a lot more excited to see Pat play than Alex?

Trust me, they are quietly debating how soon they should play Mahomes.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my definite OPINION, that Mahomes is not the next Aaron Rodgers. I'm allowed to have those, right? For every throw that he places right, there are just as many throws where he gets away with things that will not work against the average to better NFL starting defenses. Can he create a big play with his legs and arm strength?

No his upside is not Rodgers at all. His upside is Big Ben or Favre. Both Favre and Big Ben were good enough that they could get away with the occasional boneheaded throw. That's Mahomes if he reaches his potential.

Haha. What is he supposed to say? I'm a lot more excited to see Pat play than Alex?

Doubtful. They're probably wondering when he'll be anywhere close to starting.

1) honestly, what have McDermott proven to know about qbs? He is a DC and Beane is a first time head coach.

I want Peterman to be good but why does the most pro ready qb slide to the 5th? And sometimes most pro ready means a low ceiling.

2) Reid was Farve's qb coach before he had proven anything in the NFL. Farce gives him a ton of credit. http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/18441/brett-favre-recalls-andy-reid-fondly-as-his-qb-coach

Reid also coached the dog killer to far and away the best passing season of his career. He made scrubs Kevin Kolb & AJ Feely look good enough to get a 2nd round picks. He took Captain Checkdown 2.0 Alex Smith and made him into a playoff qb every year.

Honestly, you don't know football if you are questioning Reid's work with qbs. If Andy Reid was hired by the Bills, I believe we would have ended the drought and found a qb by now. We would lose in the playoffs but still we would be way better off.

Michael Vicks success was with Reid was temporary and just one season. He struggled the 3 other years. Why wasn't he able to keep the success?

Alex Smith was a fumbled punt away from starting in the Super Bowl with San Fran.

Reid knew Smith had talent which is why they gave up a 2nd round pick for him. It's not like he turned water into wine.

I'd say that's an accurate statement. Doesn't mean they are or should rush Mahomes before he's ready.

Oh I agree. But every Chiefs fans is very excited and can't wait to move on from Smith.

I do agree you should be patient. But Reid and their GM are super excited for Mahomes to be the starter sooner than later.

Michael Vicks success was with Reid was temporary and just one season. He struggled the 3 other years. Why wasn't he able to keep the success?

Alex Smith was a fumbled punt away from starting in the Super Bowl with San Fran.

Reid knew Smith had talent which is why they gave up a 2nd round pick for him. It's not like he turned water into wine.

SMith had a career high 18 tds and threw for 3,000 yards once in SF. He has throw for 3,000 yards and 18 or more tds every season in KC.

I guess we can pretend Reid isn't a really good qb coach and the Bills would be in much better shape if he was in charge. But that would be wrong.

Oh I agree. But every Chiefs fans is very excited and can't wait to move on from Smith.

I do agree you should be patient. But Reid and their GM are super excited for Mahomes to be the starter sooner than later.

SMith had a career high 18 tds and threw for 3,000 yards once in SF. He has throw for 3,000 yards and 18 or more tds every season in KC.

I guess we can pretend Reid isn't a really good qb coach and the Bills would be in much better shape if he was in charge. But that would be wrong.

No different than many franchises. Fans always think the backup QBb is the savior.

The fact that the conversation comes up at all is a testament to how well Mahommes has played. When he was drafted, he was drafted to be the QB of the future, in the truest sense of the phrase.

Andy Reid has an enormous amount of respect for Alex Smith and has shown it repeatedly. Mahommes is his successor and not replacement. He's just more advanced in his training than they even expected, especially in the mental aspect.

At least publicly, Mahommes may be Alex Smith's biggest supporter outside of Reid. He really seems impressed with his preparation and his mental approach to the game. He really raved about Smith's ability to diagnose a defense and go through all scenarios before the ball is snapped.

If there is a QB controversy in KC, its more fan created and media created, IMO. But its because Mahommes is ahead of schedule.

PS. Teh biggest compliment might have come from Michael Vick, of all people, who was doing a coaching intern in KC this summer. To paraphrase, he said something like, "He's not there yet, but some of the things he does are incredible. I was the one of the best outside the pocket (OK, that's debatable) but Mahommes does things that I could never do."

Difference between us and the Chiefs is our backup is a 5th rounder and there's is a 1st rounder. And Reid has been one in the best in the business at developing qbs.

We disagree on the latter but we've had that discussion. Time will tell whether the kid pans out.

....Of course he makes some ugly throws that he shouldn't make. Almost every QB who is lacking experience does. As I had said before. Manning's rookie year was ugly. Elway's rookie year was ugly. ...and for those of you in the unfounded "sit and learn" camp....Aaron Rodgers, having sat idle for 3 years behind Favre, had a crappy stat line his first year that resembles almost every other QB playing for the first time. Lastly, having been drafted by the great John Elway, and having played behind Peyton Manning, we have Brock Oswieler. He sucks. He was always going to suck because that is who he is. More experience might cause a bit of improvment, but his talent is what it is. (and that goes for Paxton Lynch while on the Broncos. He sucks, he's going to suck, he will always suck.) After all, Simien had less pedigree and less time "siting and learning" than they have had and they can't beat him out.

I can't stress it enough, Mahomes can do things right now only a few guys can do...he is going to have a sucky time his first 10-16 NFL starts...as most QB's good and bad do. Once the light turns on, he is going to be a generational player.

Lastly, of course they are starting Smith to begin the season. As much as I think they should start Mahomes, in reality, I don't expect this to be a good year for KC no matter who starts...front office shake ups, QB controversies and a couple of old guys on D....on a D that isn't that good, but benefitted greatly from defensive scores and turnovers....eh...So why not let Alex start and when it looks crappy at 3-6 or whatever, you scapegoat Alex for the entire mess and you start the Mahomes era with him taking his lumps in games that aren't going to matter for a team in transistion.......and so you'll have missed on a generational QB....but you' re going to get that high draft pick.

Edited by Zerovotlz

The link shows Mahome making plays. The organization has had plenty of opportunities to draft good qb prospects. As usual it failed to pull the trigger. It's self-created futility. It makes no bloody sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838294/article/what-we-learned-from-week-4-of-2017-nfl-preseason

Shots not taken = 100% misses

THAT is the story of the Bills QB woes.

I like 3D White but history.......only 3 #1 picks still on the roster since they passed on Drew Brees......says they wouldn't have regretted taking a shot at Mahomes.

They passed on him and traded that pick to KC.........if he turns into a star, that's on them forever.

But if NEXT YEAR McDermott and Beane become the first Bills regime to ever be all-in on drafting a rookie QB as soon as they possibly could on draft day.....not trading back or hoping Russ Wilson slides to round 4 so they can take TJ Graham....at least someone will have given an honest effort instead of the usual shortcut.

Shots not taken = 100% misses

THAT is the story of the Bills QB woes.

I like 3D White but history.......only 3 #1 picks still on the roster since they passed on Drew Brees......says they wouldn't have regretted taking a shot at Mahomes.

They passed on him and traded that pick to KC.........if he turns into a star, that's on them forever.

But if NEXT YEAR McDermott and Beane become the first Bills regime to ever be all-in on drafting a rookie QB as soon as they possibly could on draft day.....not trading back or hoping Russ Wilson slides to round 4 so they can take TJ Graham....at least someone will have given an honest effort instead of the usual shortcut.

Shots not taken are shots not taken. Not even close to 100% misses.

They need to take shots. And I think they will.

I know many KC fans that are calling for Mahomes to start already.

KC fans dont remember that they were 2-14 prior to Alex Smith and andy reid getting there. They seem to believe that going 11-5 or 12-4 three out of 4 seasons is somehow the norm in the NFL. KC fans are about as jaded as they come. KC is basically a lock to go 10-6 this season with Alex Smith. With Mahomes they could just as easily go 6-10.

So yes. Please start Mahomes. It will help us.