Juan Castillo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I dislike threads like this, I hated the Castillo signing. The ravens run game was atrocious the last few years under his OL guidance. He was quite possibly the worst DC in league history in philly. He might know football and be a great guy, but I'm not sold on him as the leader of a unit. I believe our OL will take a step back this year under his guidance. Sure hope I'm wrong

Who are your top 10 O line coaches?

Kromer is really an amazing coach. I remember when he came over there was this hype about him always having a player make the pro bowl. I was like he he has his work cut out for him. 2 Bills lineman made it.

He may be the best. But I get your point, I couldn't name 2 others off the top of my head.

Castillo is considered one of the best and has a relationship with the head coach and offensive coordinator. Pretty simple answer.

I've never known him as one of the best OL coaches in the league. I think it's more that he was on the Philly staff when McDome was there.

Castillo is considered one of the best and has a relationship with the head coach and offensive coordinator. Pretty simple answer.

I've never known him as one of the best OL coaches in the league. I think it's more that he was on the Philly staff when McDome was there.

He was an OL coach in Philly for a really long time (13 years, I think?) and then for some bizarre reason he was made DC after McD's firing, which unsurprisingly did not work.

I'm not arguing that Castillo isn't a good OL coach. It's just that the OL was a strength with Kromer and if are keeping any of our past coaches why is it Crossman and not Kromer?

I've heard he is one of the more well respected line coaches in the NFL and I know he was very highly regarded for the work he did with that Eagles o line in his time there.

I know there was a bit of a bidding war between Baltimore, Chicago and Kansas City when he was let go from the Eagles.

I thought our run game has looked good overall this preseason, with the o line opening up some pretty nice holes.

I can't really blame him for Mills and Henderson's play. It's not like Mills was good under Kromer last year either - he was the same turn-style last year. Henderson is trying to come back (and recover) from a serious disease that had a major impact on him. If Glenn were playing, LT wouldn't be an issue...

Even Wood is coming back from a broken leg. I'm sure he's not back to 100% quite yet (as far as being in shape, knocking off the rust etc).

I agree Ducasse shouldn't be starting over Miller anymore, but let's wait and see if he even makes the roster, let alone starts over Miller when the regular season starts. If he does, then it's obviously an issue (assuming his play continues to be so terrible).

It's only been 2 preseason games though guys! (and they have new systems on both sides of the ball)

The O line is pretty much 1 on 1 during preseason. They're not really giving extra help to the spots on the o line that need it like they will in regular season. No reason to overreact yet.

As far as I can tell from what film I have seen Wood is fully recovered and in shape.

I thought he was getting pushed back at times & having trouble holding his ground + stopping the rush. Don't get me wrong, he looked good at times too.

Check out the cover 1 podcast that was just posted here today if you're interested. They review the offense game film and you can see Wood struggling at times. They actually specifically talk about the wood injury around 24 minutes in.

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/195480-tyrod-taylor-film-session-vs-eagles/

Just heard that Castillo is playing favorites by starting Ducasse. So yeah, if that's the case, then he sucks.

I am trying to imagine this conversation.

Castillo: I think we should start Ducasse over Miller.

McDermott: But he is not as good as Miller.

Castillo: Yes but I like him better.

McDermott: Ok then, carry on.

The better player will start or McDermott will lose the locker room.

It is time for this organization to make a statement again and fire Juan Castillo, this has been an embarrassing 2 preseason games now for this offensive line and to think that this unit was a bright spot last year.Juan has to go and if you don't think it is him ask the Baltimore Ravens fans about how bad the Ravens Offensive line was last year. The same problems with the bills as the ravens had a line that looks lost, can't block anyone, terrible..

This is nonsense. The offensive line was not "a bright spot last year" at all. It was good at run blocking but mediocre at best at pass protection, which is why the Bills had so much difficulty passing on third downs whenever they needed more than a couple of yards. Without Glenn, the pass blocking has become noticeably worst.

I agree with LeGOATski that it's more about lack of talent than coaching at this point. You can't coach talent. RT has been a problem for more than last year, but they finally got around to drafting an OT to fill that problem ... only they may need him to play LT because of Glenn's injury. Meanwhile Wood and Incognito aren't getting any younger, and the Bills don't seem to have any other truly promising young OLers as backups. That means that even if Glenn can magically heal by opening day, the OL is still going to be short quality, especially on the right side.

It is virtually impossible to acquire talented OLers except through the draft unless a team is willing to spend really big $$$ on one of the few prime OLers who hits FA. The OLers who linger on the FA market or are available after TCs start likely have injury, age or other unusual issues or are simply just not any good. The Bills got really lucky in being able to sign Incognito when he was coming off his suspension, a situation which is unlikely to happen again simply because there's not enough quality OLers to go around. That means the Bills need to stop letting their top DBs and WRs leave and using first and second round picks to fill the holes created by those departures. They need to use some of their high picks to draft first rate young linemen.

As for Ducasse, he's trash, but in the preseason, maybe they're trying to see if he has anything at all. That means they need to play him against the starting defensive unit which usually only plays early in preseason games. They aren't considering whether to keep Miller or cut him.

Edited by SoTier

Kromer is one of the top 3 Oline coaches in the league so Castillo no matter how you look at it is a downgrade. That being said Glenn makes Taylor more confortable than whoever the backup is.

Agree on kromer.

Agree on Glenn.

Dislike cutting kujo so early without a plan

As for top 10 OL coaches, I'm not sure, but from what I read Tom Cable and Mike Tice are #1 and #2

Is Cowboys OL Coach regarded as good or is it just the talent they have?

Miller is fine. Ducasse sucks and will cost us a 3rd round pick if he is not let go. There is no rational reason why he would make the team. Just about any street FA OG would be as good and not cost them a 3rd in 2018.