[closed]What are the chances Watkins is a free-agent signee 2018

pablopbb

Just wondering what the under/over is on whether Watkins could be a free-agent receiver target of the Bills in 2018. So, they traded to get a draft pick and let him take the 'risk' of performing in his contract year to another team (risk in this case is a balance of risk of another injury and risk of lighting up the stats during contract year). Unless he's franchised by the Rams or signs a new contract with them... he's slated to be on the market next year and I'm sure he's just gonna follow whoever gives him 'NBA' type money if he finally lives up to most of his potential for one year.

Edited by pablopbb

But, I'm curious to know why you'd think that? Is it b/c he wouldn't be a fit for the team, or b/c you'd think he'd ignore the bills as a potential employer?

I just think if they had interest in keeping him long term they would have picked up his option. It doesn't appear that they are interested in committing big money to a receiver until they get QB taken care of.

I would have kept him to help out my future rookie QB's development, but I don't think Beane is in that line of thought.

Thanks, didn't see that one. Quickly read through it though, and I still can't say I agree with all the points being made. Some smart teams do drop then re-sign players when the price is right (for the team). Remember, Sammy's draft class is self-proclaimed as one that plans to re-write the market on receivers that are ending their rookie contracts and he and OBJ are both talking about NBA type money... you see guys go back to their previous team in the NBA all the time after they play out the end of an existing contract. If the players mean it when they say "its all part of the business", then why wouldn't they act like it from a business perpective?

Unless, of course, Watkins isn't a good fit for the current style or his attitude wouldn't be good for building a team. In which case, the bills would be happy they got back some value (draft pick and dibs on a corner back) by trading him.

Thanks, didn't see that one. Quickly read through it though, and I still can't say I agree with all the points being made. Some smart teams do drop then re-sign players when the price is right (for the team). Remember, Sammy's draft class is self-proclaimed as one that plans to re-write the market on receivers that are ending their rookie contracts and he and OBJ are both talking about NBA type money... you see guys go back to their previous team in the NBA all the time after they play out the end of an existing contract. If the players mean it when they say "its all part of the business", then why wouldn't they act like it from a business perpective?

Unless, of course, Watkins isn't a good fit for the current style or his attitude wouldn't be good for building a team. In which case, the bills would be happy they got back some value (draft pick and dibs on a corner back) by trading him.

He will not get to UFA. The Rams either re-sign or franchise tag him after giving up a 2nd round pick.

I don't think it's anything close to a done deal that he stays with the Rams. I don't know the ins and outs of their cap situation or if they have the Fr tag available. I doubt Watkins signs an extension during the season unless the $$ are huge. So he plays is out, maybe gets tagged or tagged and traded. There is a slight chance that LA let's him walk and maybe ends up with a comp pick. He'd have to have an injury or underperform for that to happen. I doubt Goff is a very good QB so I think that's a big factor.

Just wondering what the under/over is on whether Watkins could be a free-agent receiver target of the Bills in 2018. So, they traded to get a draft pick and let him take the 'risk' of performing in his contract year to another team (risk in this case is a balance of risk of another injury and risk of lighting up the stats during contract year). Unless he's franchised by the Rams or signs a new contract with them... he's slated to be on the market next year and I'm sure he's just gonna follow whoever gives him 'NBA' type money if he finally lives up to most of his potential for one year.

Name 1 player who was traded then picked up in FA by that team, I can't recall 1 ever but I may be wrong. I just don't see him resigning here, if the Rams don't resign him it will be a colossal failure on their part so I'd imagine that gets done by mid season.

He will not get to UFA. The Rams either re-sign or franchise tag him after giving up a 2nd round pick.

I did mention that possibility in my original post, but how does that make good sense? Watkins (and other receivers in his draft class) are putting out the vibe that they plan to reset the wage scale for receivers, expecting "NBA" type money.

The Rams going to give in to those expectations for an inconsistent receiver with an injury history? I think they'd like to think they can get him on a new contract on the cheap side... but I'd think Sammy's talking make it sounds like he wants to get a ton of touches this year then sit back and take in all the offers in free-agency, unless the Rams want to give him a mega-deal NOW.

Why would e rams trade a player and a 2nd for a 1 year rental? No way the Rams let him go after a year unless he's hurt again and misses the whole season.

And no this staff will not try to sign him nor would he sign with us. The honeymoon is over, find a new player to love.