Bills GM Brandon Beane 'annoyed' by tanking talk

YoloinOhio

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The money only matters when you have to make other roster decisions because of it. With half the team on rookie deals in 2018, likely including the QB, there is tons of money to spend elsewhere.

Agree. But the thing they had to face was picking up the option when they didn't know whether his health was good enough to warrant the investment. I do not think this was an easy call; lot of factors.

The money only matters when you have to make other roster decisions because of it. With half the team on rookie deals in 2018, likely including the QB, there is tons of money to spend elsewhere.

Thanks Kirby. It's good to hear a cap / salary related statement based in reality.

I think we have to accept that they're just not going to pay WRs that much money until they know they have a franchise QB.

It's better to have more assets at a lower price. You'll have a greater ROI.

I disagree. If you have an average QB AND still want to win, the best thing to do is surround him with good WRs instead of muddling along until that golden armed franchise QB.

Agree. But the thing they had to face was picking up the option when they didn't know whether his health was good enough to warrant the investment. I do not think this was an easy call; lot of factors.

The option was the right call, but could have kept SW even without it. The number was however affordable for THIS team who won't be contending this year or next. If hes healthy he's worth more to the team than a 2nd rounder. That's about it really.

I disagree. If you have an average QB AND still want to win, the best thing to do is surround him with good WRs instead of muddling along until that golden armed franchise QB.

. Which was the exact same criticism we saw from the same people when Sammy was drafted. People didn't think drafting a great WR to help EJ made sense.

Right, an average QB will be helped by this. Look at what Hopkins has done. It doesn't make a big difference when the QB is horrendous and the offensive coaches clueless.

Please tell us how much the Bills were going to offer and what Sammy's walk away price is? Evidently you know.

Why is it so important that we give up a years production to get "something" for Sammy?

We got nothing for Woods, Gillislee, Hogan, Fitz, Robey, Gilnore, Fred, Byrd, Nigel, Mario ...

That's what happens most of the time. Deal with it.

I don't own a Sammy jersey and I HATE the trade.

Besids, it's still a Bills jersey. Wear it with pride as I do my EJ, Mario, Rob Johnson, and Flutie jerseys. :)

Go BILLS !!!

How much was it to pick up the option? They didn't do it. If they wouldn't pay him that what do you think they would pay him? More than the option would have cost? Why would they do that?

. Which was the exact same criticism we saw from the same people when Sammy was drafted. People didn't think drafting a great WR to help EJ made sense.

The problem was EJ is far from average. Still too high a price for drafting any non QB though.

Good grief...every thread has the same arguments. At some point, we have to move on guys. Three years down the road, we will have some answers and clarity as to whether the trade was good or bad.

Good advice that I'm going to try ...

How much was it to pick up the option? They didn't do it. If they wouldn't pay him that what do you think they would pay him? More than the option would have cost? Why would they do that?

Because it's not a huge difference and they would know how the 2017 season played out. Taking some uncertainty out could be worth just a couple mil in salary. Not a terrible strategy if you want more data vs more time.

He should be. Considering the WR he picked up has put up better numbers than the receiver he traded away. And the CB he picked up was on the all rookie team and was playing very, then had a down year after an injury. Really not much different than Darby's last 2 seasons.

I disagree with the "not contending" part. We might. We won 7 games last year with a coach that didn't even know how many men to put on the field.

The Fish made the playoffs last year after a dreadful season with a rookie HC. I don't see why it's out of the realm of possibility we can do that.

...who knows in this game?...Steelers won 2008 SB and missed playoffs in 2009 (9--7)...2015 Panthers go 15-1, lose SB followed by 6-10 in 2016.....Brady is out and Cassel goes 11-5 with Pats in 2008 and they MISS the playoffs.....so why not??...........