Watkins and Zay Jones combine numbers

Combine #s dont mean a whole lot. Zay Jones ran faster than people thought because he plays slower. Only speed that counts is football speed. McCoy not the fastest straight line.

Very true. And the 40 time is one of the more overrated combine workouts. It's far from the be all end all. I don't think there were many describing Zay Jones at the combine in the same terms as they talked about SW in 2014.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, now it is and they now get advertisers to pay $$$$$$ for commercials, $$$$$ to sponsor each event. Fans now get to go and spend money at the event. Its a money grab that the NFL pumping.

The combine is garbage. Go look at the top performers at each event and tell me how much it all matters. 99.9% All it proves is a guy works out a lot.

So the combine wasn't garbage before the NFL Network but now is?

I think if your opinion is true, we would have seen at least one team by now would have stopped attending.

You might think it's garbage but the people in the industry obviously feel differently.

Zay Jones scouting report

www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-zay-jones-wr-east-carolina

Unless all these reports are wrong, he hasn't shown great separation or big play ability. He compares to Anquan Boldin who was never a deep threat either.

He hasn't shown it cos the offense wasn't operated that way. I believe he is capable of it.

Remember in Pittsburgh folks couldn't believe they were letting mike Wallace walk? They had this other guy they liked who hadn't started a ton yet, but good player. Antonio Brown ended being an upgrade.

It can happen

Yeah, it can happen to a historically great organization. How many Lombardis over there? How many coaches?

Goodwin had very good combine numbers but obviously he wasn't much of a player. the combine doesn't tell the whole story. the first thing scouts look at is the TAPE. the combine numbers are just another tool to help solidify what they see on film.

But Goodwin wasn't a good college receiver. He was a track star who played a little football. And he played just ok.

Zay had an established college career and had good measurables. Using Goodwin was an example is poor.

Watkins plays faster than Zay but it is interesting to see the test scores. I'm excited about Zay Jones.

WR is a very difficult position to come right In and put up big numbers. I like the numbers but I am expecting an up and down year from Zay. It's par for the course w rookies. DB's in the NFL are stronger and faster and Zay has to develop chemistry with TT. I do like the fact the no WR is a premadona on the staff now. They will all be working and not complaining(Robert I talking about you).

If the combine really meant anything the "missed draft pick" rate wouldn't be so high in the NFL.

The combine is the most overrated, money grab the NFL has done to this day.

It means a ton if you count it with game film and everything else thats involved pre draft. If you use combine alone then you probably wont be employed long in the NFL. The 40 times, verticals, cone drills, hand and arm length all are good to look at with regard to wrs. If someone is poor in all those areas its probably a good indicator that hes going to be a pretty poor wr. Conversely if a wr is good in those areas and game film against top ncaa competition confirms the combine then its probably pretty safe to say that the player will be productive in some capacity barring injury or an off the field issue.

chris hogan caught downfield passes. people are overreacting when we do still have guys that can get downfield and catch some balls.

Ironically enough Chris Hogans combine measurables surpass Sammys in many categories as well.

What makes sammy watkins and elite WR is his ability to contourt his body effortlessly while running in full speed and catch the ball. He also is a refined route runner who can cut on a dime and accelerate upfield.

sammy has super glue hands, i can only hope zay has the same. and when sammy got the ball in his hands, he seemed to transform into a running back. i like sammy, and wish him well (after we get the high 2nd), but zay is the guy wearing the bills jersey now, so he is my guy! here's to hoping!