Camp Practice Notes 8-13

Kind of mentioned in the article, but it seemed like they didn't know where to put the WRs. Albeit the first practice with JM, when Sammy was still here (RIP) everyone had their set position and role from the way practice looked.

Don't want to start any conspiracies, but I really feel like the GM made this move and then told the coaching staff - it just does not make sense the way practices were being organized up until this point. Sammy was the focal point of the passing game for over a month now. With just under a month until season kicks off, the passing game (a pretty darn important piece of this game) is reinventing itself. Oh well.

Kind of mentioned in the article, but it seemed like they didn't know where to put the WRs. Albeit the first practice with JM, when Sammy was still here (RIP) everyone had their set position and role from the way practice looked.

Don't want to start any conspiracies, but I really feel like the GM made this move and then told the coaching staff - it just does not make sense the way practices were being organized up until this point. Sammy was the focal point of the passing game for over a month now. With just under a month until season kicks off, the passing game (a pretty darn important piece of this game) is reinventing itself. Oh well.

petermen #2

There's no conspiracy theory.

You can go back and read exactly how it played out from McD's and Beane's comments.

They basically have two interchangeable vets and a rookie. No established team star like Sammy. Of course its's not going to look the same.

There's no conspiracy theory.

You can go back and read exactly how it played out from McD's and Beane's comments.

They basically have two interchangeable vets and a rookie. No established team star like Sammy. Of course its's not going to look the same.

it seemed to be they were just trying out different sets. Pretty much expected with two new WRs.

Beane said during his press conference that he didn't tell McDermott about the trade until the night before they made it. He said he didn't want to distract them from their game preparation. Also said he waited until the trade was real before bringing it to him and Pegula.

I'd imagine they had some discussions about Sammy maybe not fitting into their long term plan before hand, and I'd also imagine that Beane, McDermott and Pegula agreed to make this trade. But if Beane is to be believed, McDermott and co. didn't know about the actual trade until the night before.

Beane said during his press conference that he didn't tell McDermott about the trade until the night before they made it. He said he didn't want to distract them from their game preparation. Also said he waited until the trade was real before bringing it to him and Pegula.

I'd imagine they had some discussions about Sammy maybe not fitting into their long term plan before hand, and I'd also imagine that Beane, McDermott and Pegula agreed to make this trade. But if Beane is to be believed, McDermott and co. didn't know about the actual trade until the night before.

i noticed no mention of running by Russ. Maybe nbd but just a reminder that Russ is the only one in the organization with any ties to Sammy. No one else was here when he was drafted including ownership. Edited by YoloinOhio

I am assuming that the three of them agreed that a trade of Sammy would be a good idea...Then Beane goes off and finds a partner for the trades, put all the parameters in place and then calls up his HC and Owner to tell them that he has a trade ready to go. I think this is perfectly in line with the power structure

i noticed no mention of running by Russ. Maybe nbd but just a reminder that Russ is the only one in the organization with any ties to Sammy. No one else was here when he was drafted including ownership.

I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. Sounds like he truly isn't involved in football decisions anymore, which is a good thing IMO. Let the football guys runs things and let him do his marketing thing.

I think it truly is a new day and age for this team! lol

I am assuming that the three of them agreed that a trade of Sammy would be a good idea...Then Beane goes off and finds a partner for the trades, put all the parameters in place and then calls up his HC and Owner to tell them that he has a trade ready to go. I think this is perfectly in line with the power structure

I could see that being true.

I don't know if McDermott knew there were active trade discussions happening but I'm sure they at least had discussions about those players fitting the team long term. I can't imagine Beane trading those two if McDermott wanted them both here long term.

Just to put it out there, according to Les Snead he said he was inquiring about Sammy before Beane was even hired,and that his hire facilitated things to move forward. Things got serious last week and the deal was made.

That tells me everyone was aware, and that they were all at least open to the notion and ultimately in agreeance. Solid FO structure👍

Edited by BuffAlone

I highly doubt it was sprung on McDermott and the Pegulas or was any kind of a surprise to them. Think of it as putting in an offer to buy a house. Your agent knows if the offer is accepted before you do. They tell you it's a done deal, once it becomes a done deal. Front offices constantly talk over player evaluations and research possible moves with other teams. Most never come to much.

I believe there is zero chance (zip, none) Beane makes a move without consulting with McD and coaching staff. That would be ludicrous and does not reflect the dynamic that obviously exists between coach, GM and owner. I'd go so far as to suggest that McB was the catalyst of the trades and was on the table since he first arrived. We shouldn't be surprised there are a few similar deals on the table.

Of course the first practice will be different, especially since Mathews doesn't know the offense. Let's see what happens on Thursday before making sweeping observations.