LA Times EJ Gaines Article 7/31

He's the key to this trade. If we can get two quality starters, plus 2 top picks than its worth it.

But at the moment, both guys (Matthews and Gaines) were competing to start, while Darby and Watkins were unquestioned starters and top of the club (and league) at their respective positions, particularly given their age. Filling that talent gap with a 2nd and 3rd round pick doesn't seem like great value

Well... I don't mean to be a downer. But, I wouldn't take anything the LA Times says about any member of the LA Rams with anything but a large dose of salty eye roll.

The Rams have been a slow-motion train wreck since landing in LA (and before). The LA Times have been writing puff pieces about them ever since their arrival. But, who knows? Maybe Jared Goff really is the Rams' savior they have been reporting?

Well... I don't mean to be a downer. But, I wouldn't take anything the LA Times says about any member of the LA Rams with anything but a large dose of salty eye roll.

The Rams have been a slow-motion train wreck since landing in LA (and before). The LA Times have been writing puff pieces about them ever since their arrival. But, who knows? Maybe Jared Goff really is the Rams' savior they have been reporting?

"The Rams have been a slow-motion train wreck since landing in LA (and before)"

when you live in a glass house, don't throw stones

Edited by jmcraig44

He's the key to this trade. If we can get two quality starters, plus 2 top picks than its worth it.

But at the moment, both guys (Matthews and Gaines) were competing to start, while Darby and Watkins were unquestioned starters and top of the club (and league) at their respective positions, particularly given their age. Filling that talent gap with a 2nd and 3rd round pick doesn't seem like great value

This should be fairly obvious to most people. The talent they got back was not as great as the talent they let go.

Gaines is not the key to this trade. The draft picks are.

And what's the key to that draft? The QB.

This should be fairly obvious to most people. The talent they got back was not as great as the talent they let go.

Gaines is not the key to this trade. The draft picks are.

And what's the key to that draft? The QB.

But at this point you don't know who you're going to draft. Whoever they are they could and likely won't pan out. So you have to hedge that unkown against the current players that you can evaluate based on real NFL action. That's where Gaines comes in. I don't have the info on him, you hope OBD does.

QB is another story. We already had the picks to move up for a QB. These extra picks just give us the options for adding depth/talent at other positions.

Perfectly worded. If both guys become starters, the trade is well worth it for the draft capital, no matter the human connection to Sammy and Darby.

But at this point you don't know who you're going to draft. Whoever they are they could and likely won't pan out. So you have to hedge that unkown against the current players that you can evaluate based on real NFL action. That's where Gaines comes in. I don't have the info on him, you hope OBD does.

QB is another story. We already had the picks to move up for a QB. These extra picks just give us the options for adding depth/talent at other positions.

That's all well and good.

I thought we were talking about the key to this trade.

If EJ Gaines was the key to this trade, well then, this trade is already a failure.

We're going to find out real fast whether Goff is a bust. He's got Sammy, Robert, Tavon and Kupp to throw to. That's a ton of quality targets.