My thoughts on today's trades...

After these two big trades, which were replacing Watkins for Jordan Matthews and getting rid of Darby for EJ Gaines while acquiring a few draft picks in 2018, it has been a hectic day.

At first I was super upset. How could we get rid of Watkins and Darby!? Are we tanking?!

Well, now that i took a step back we got a better WR in Matthews. Only missed 2 games since 2014 and has had at least 67 receptions each year. We never got to see Watkins shine, but OH WELL. Darby was great his rookie year and last year he kinda fell off.

The way I'm looking at this is that we are trying to get good replacements while acquiring enough picks for 2018 to put us in the race for a top QB by trading up, unless we TANK. The rest of the picks we can acquire a lot of talent that the team is lacking in various positions. We are kind of pulling a Pats* Front Office move, by letting the big stars walk and acquiring players that are more consistent. With these additional picks, it gives us a great start for the 2018-2019 season.

What are your thoughts on us acquiring picks and letting a couple promising players walk?

I like it. IMO, there really isn't a drop between Darby and Gaines in this defense. We got a less injury prone Wr that is capable in Jordan Matthews, and shed the explosive, injury prone Sammy Watkins. We also got two high draft picks. I my opinion, these trades were very good.

After these two big trades, which were replacing Watkins for Jordan Matthews and getting rid of Darby for EJ Gaines while acquiring a few draft picks in 2018, it has been a hectic day.

At first I was super upset. How could we get rid of Watkins and Darby!? Are we tanking?!

Well, now that i took a step back we got a better WR in Matthews. Only missed 2 games since 2014 and has had at least 67 receptions each year. We never got to see Watkins shine, but OH WELL. Darby was great his rookie year and last year he kinda fell off.

The way I'm looking at this is that we are trying to get good replacements while acquiring enough picks for 2018 to put us in the race for a top QB by trading up, unless we TANK. The rest of the picks we can acquire a lot of talent that the team is lacking in various positions. We are kind of pulling a Pats* Front Office move, by letting the big stars walk and acquiring players that are more consistent. With these additional picks, it gives us a great start for the 2018-2019 season.

What are your thoughts on us acquiring picks and letting a couple promising players walk?

I think those are some rose colored glasses you got on. Mathews is ok, but is nowhere near the threat that Watkins was. Heck, if he was that good the Eagles would not have had to add a 3rd round pick to get Ronald Darby. Mathews was the throw-in the real price for Darby was the 3rd rounder.

Gaines is no great answer at CB. He is a 5'9" cornerback who has started 10 games the last two years after starting on an awful 2014 Rams team as a rookie. I know INTS don't tell the whole story, but he has only 2 in his career. The trade was Watkins for a second rounder with Gaines an after thought

I think those are some rose colored glasses you got on. Mathews is ok, but is nowhere near the threat that Watkins was. Heck, if he was that good the Eagles would not have had to add a 3rd round pick to get Ronald Darby. Mathews was the throw-in the real price for Darby was the 3rd rounder.

Gaines is no great answer at CB. He is a 5'9" cornerback who has started 10 games the last two years after starting on an awful 2014 Rams team as a rookie. I know INTS don't tell the whole story, but he has only 2 in his career. The trade was Watkins for a second rounder with Gaines an after thought

Watkins was same return as Pats got for Chandler, a 2nd and a throw in player

Considering the Bills already had the picks to move up in the draft (two firsts this year and firsts the next couple of years) to draft a QB, I'm still trying to make sense of trading away talent like Watkins and Darby.

Matthews is a slot receiver who put up good numbers in Chip Kelly's offense. The Bills will not be running Chip Kelly's offense and their WRs lack speed.

They continue to downgrade their DB strength further this offseason. If Brady plays a few more years, that's not a good thing.

So instead of adding a franchise rookie QB to a team with a game-breaking WR, the Bills will also need to draft a speedy WR in the draft. They'll also need to upgrade their secondary.

Seems like they've added more uncertainty with these trades.

Watkins never produced in the NFL, period. Due to his injury over the years. At least Matthews will produce more than he did, starting day one. Consistency is key. Gaining yards in the passing game will be great. At least we don't gotta worry about a troubled injury, whether we signed Watkins at the end of the season or not.

Yeah i think the 2nd rounder was a key component to a trade w/ any team + a role that needed to be dealt with due to Darby's departure. I agree that he is not the best, maybe someone else fills the second spot role.

There goes Watkins statement about being ready to take on Gilmore.

I wasn't trying to criticize what they got for Watkins, I was responding to those who think that Gaines was an important part of the deal - that's all.

I get that. I was just saying it's about the value you can expect from a player on a one year deal. Johnathan Cooper was the throw in on the other deal.

I just think both teams were in different situations. The Pats sold high on a guy coming off 12.5 sacks and the Bills sold low on an injured Watkins. If the plan was to deal him they should played him the first half last night and let him go bananas.

Considering the Bills already had the picks to move up in the draft (two firsts this year and firsts the next couple of years) to draft a QB, I'm still trying to make sense of trading away talent like Watkins and Darby.

Matthews is a slot receiver who put up good numbers in Chip Kelly's offense. The Bills will not be running Chip Kelly's offense and their WRs lack speed.

They continue to downgrade their DB strength further this offseason. If Brady plays a few more years, that's not a good thing.

So instead of adding a franchise rookie QB to a team with a game-breaking WR, the Bills will also need to draft a speedy WR in the draft. They'll also need to upgrade their secondary.

That's why there's a new GM & coach in the house. The Pegula's went all in on this duo...

Holmes, Boldin, Jones, & Matthews will be an upgrade compared to last years offense, without a doubt. We've never had Watkins for a full year..

I believe the Bills need a big receiver, around 6 foot 3-4 with height, size, & skill.

The trade does bring uncertainty, but so did having a WR who was always hurt. And in a contract year, if we offered him one at the end, would be super expensive. Think they're going for a more wholesome team, overall.

Bills are always rebuilding. Given up hope after 54 years

Lol, i bet "give them a chance" was thrown out long ago.

Whether they admit it or not, this is about ensuring a poor record to be close enough to the top of the draft to even be able to pull off a trade up for a QB. KC's first is going to be in the 20s, so likely not enough to package with say the 10th pick to get into the top 2 Edited by OldTimer1960

It's all about potential. What we gave away has higher potential, especially Sammy, but will he ever live up to it?

Look, if Sammy has the year we are all hoping for and he does it in a rams uniform it's going to hurt. Same with Darby - if he betters his rookie season but does it elsewhere it'll sting. If each of these guys plays like they've been playing and we disregard potential, then I think we got replacement players for them and picked up some nice picks along the way. That leads us to our second big question - can we turn picks into good players? Just because we have the picks doesn't mean that we'll use them on good players - some poor selections will wipe them out. So, you can't really say if this was a good or a bad trade until years down the road. For now I'm inclined to like it after the initial shock has worn off.

Matthews and Gaines will be at least adequate for one season. The FO essentially swapped one WR in his last year and unlikely to resign -- Sammy will be looking for a team with an elite QB and passing game -- for another WR who might not resign with the Bills so that's a wash. What it's all about is the draft picks for next year.